Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
About the Whitefish Chain in MN >

About the Whitefish Chain in MN

Notices

About the Whitefish Chain in MN

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Professor, what spot do you call the family beach? I know of the spot pretty much due north of the sand bar on rush that is family friendly.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for all the advice and photos. The Whitefish Chain looks like a blast to be on.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure it was east bank of lower Whitefish. not really a beach more of a large shallow area to be knee to waist deep in water. play water games etc. last few times up there were boats tied off, most seemed to have kids. . Where else do you guys Boat? Do you guys camp often? Im thinking about doing more of that
Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Registered

Looking at googlemaps would I have any luck getting into Big Trout, Bertha, Lower Hay, or Pig Lake with a 25' boat? Would I need to trim up for those lakes? Please let me know
Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by professor_speed
Pretty sure it was east bank of lower Whitefish. not really a beach more of a large shallow area to be knee to waist deep in water. play water games etc. last few times up there were boats tied off, most seemed to have kids. . Where else do you guys Boat? Do you guys camp often? Im thinking about doing more of that
Yep I know that spot. It is pretty much in the channel to Island lake.

Other lakes we hit up quite frequent is Green Lake in Spicer, Mn., (big lake, huge sand bar and landing is nice for larger boats. Seen a baja 38 special land there) Gull lake by Brainerd is nice. I go quite offen to Sugar lake since it is only 10 min away from my house, (normally go to Sugar during the work week). St Croix, but it stains my boat bad from the red/iron oar water in one afternoon. Mississippi up by me is also nice (about 7-8 mile run one way) but I found out the hard way there is a 40 mph speed limit in that area!!

We Camp/over night 3-4 times a year. We always plan a long weekend up at Whitefish over the 4th (Wends thru Sunday/Monday). Other wise we will go to Green and anchor off Saturday-Sunday. Were hopping fomr more next year once I get the transom shower installed next spring.

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
Looking at googlemaps would I have any luck getting into Big Trout, Bertha, Lower Hay, or Pig Lake with a 25' boat? Would I need to trim up for those lakes? Please let me know
I have never tried to get into Bertha / Pig (just don't think of it) flying by at 50 mph... Other wise Trout, Daggett, Little pine, Lower hay, Island, ect are no problem. They dredge the channels if it gets to shallow. I have no problem with my boat. (28 LOA) along with the 35 Donzi. No reason to trim up.

Well I like to post pics so here is a couple

This is the only photo I have from the "family" spot up on Whitefish Chain (Rush lake spot) Cant really see any water, LOL!!! A photo of GF and my self.

A couple from Sugar Lake

Gull Lake

Green Lake,
38 special

Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Registered

my parents live on Big Trout , the only time we have had trouble in the channel is shallow years with low water pickup

the noise police can be a pain as well , I've spent my whole life boating the chain and love it .
Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

and use the public ramp on west shore dr
nice , I've seen black thunders and large cruisers launch there no problem , imo much nicer than campground launch for larger boats (no posts lining the road)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Registered

Ill be heading up to Whiefish chain Saturday and staying for the wekend. Any one else going to be up there?