Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the Whitefish Chain in MN

I have a Baja Outlaw 25
What boat size would you recommend?
What are the clearance for the bridges?
Good Restaurants?
Place to launch boat? What would the cost be?
Place to stay at on the water?
Any shallow spots that I need to be aware of?
Are all the lakes connected accessible by boat?
Weekend vs. weekday crowds?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You can launch at the state park camp ground in Cross lake for cheap. You need to hit the Wharf, zorbaz, and moonlight bay for restaurants on the water. Water is well marked and a 25' boat is fine there...in fact most boats are smaller than that there.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

What would be the biggest size boat you can use?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

We had our 43' Black Thunder on there. There are several 35-38 fountains there, as well as a 42 fountain or 2.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Registered

Here are some pics from the chain. The one with the Eliminator is from the deck at Moonlight bay, the others are from the deck at the Wharf and a sandbar about a 1/4 mile north of the Wharf. Wow, those pics bring back some memories!...I used to tear those places up!

Manhattens looks be fine dining...never been there but would make a good destination.

You will have to do a search for lodging. I grew up 20miles from there so never was interested in staying there.
Attached Thumbnails About the Whitefish Chain in MN-dcp_0686.jpg   About the Whitefish Chain in MN-dcp_0683.jpg   About the Whitefish Chain in MN-dcp_0706.jpg  

About the Whitefish Chain in MN-dcp_0709.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Registered

JRider, those are really cool looking photos that you took. I like the 2 Hydrostreams, Eliminator, and a part of Scarab in the photo. It looks like a go fast atmosphere on the chain. Which is of course awesome.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Registered

http://www.woodyboater.com/wp-conten...-Show-Dock.jpg

This might be a good weekend to go...bad a$$ woodys.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I also frequent the whitefish chain. Im from St Cloud area. Any time you are thinking of heading up there let me know, I'm always game for the chain unless Im going to Green. Send me a pm, I would have no problem showing you around.

Personally I use the the landing on bottom south west side of crosslake. The army core landing is very tight for my boat. Plus parking is also tight. The landing i use is plenty big, (seen a 35zx land there along with a white& blue 280 sun dancer yacht looking boat in in the back ground of the first photo.) with PLENTY of parking. Lower Hay lake is also a good landing only it is a gravel road leading to it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.6...04136&t=h&z=18

If you want to stay on your 25' just anchor off big island lower whitefish, or anchor off the North, North west, side of lower whitefish. If your a tent style guy bring a tent and all the other goodies and you can stay on the island. There is about 10 spots on the one island (only 4 really good ones, the other ones are out in the woods.)

Island is in the link below and another good anchoring spot for over nighting is towards the top. Just dont go on the guys land
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.6...66175&t=h&z=14

If you get up to the chain early or bad weather you have a change of getting on small island!! Only one camp spot on entire island. Once you got it its all yours till you leave! Camping is free, all they ask for is donations. There is also fire wood already stacked up out there that they bring in during the winter.

As for Restaurants here is my reviews, LOL , The Wharf is higher priced and food if run of the mill bar food. The boat watching going threw the channel is top notch! Cup of coffee at 10 am on the top deck is choice, once coffee is gone, cocktail time!!

Moonlight bay, another "bar" but has pretty good pizza and the the other normal bar food.

Zorbas, all around great pizza! Just know that there is no waitress at Zorbas! (i found out the hard way) So you have to order all your own stuff from the bar.

Manhattan Beach on Big Trout, I have never been there so can't speak of the food, but but know plenty of people that has. They have GREAT drink specials. I believe it is 2 for 1's every day form 2-4 pm.

On the way to big trout you'll pass by Kristi Yamaguchi's house. Big trout has the cleanest of all the water up there. Also it is "roomer-ed" that Tom Cruise has a house up there too. It is a pretty bad as house on Island lake. Motion sensors on the beach and all.

Over all there is about 9 lakes chained together.

All right then, lets dig up some photos here (sorry some photos have my old graphics lol)

Sand bar / party time.

Moonlight bay

Big island

Getting camper top put up

Others

Also don't get to stupid up there, fish police are out especially holiday weekends. Keep min throttle in all the channels! They like to nail boats there also. This year they added two ski's to there line up beside the 4-5 boats they already have. They will sit across the sand bar, in the bay and use binoculars to watch. The photos below are of them looking for a jet skier that was messing around. The guy in the front of the Sheriff's boat got picked up for "something". He never did come back but the Sheriff's boat did about 30 min later..........

And come on, one from the Croix

Last edited by 92nsx; 10-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
http://www.woodyboater.com/wp-conten...-Show-Dock.jpg

This might be a good weekend to go...bad a$$ woodys.
They also have the cardboard boat races up there in moonlight bay. It is towards the end of the season, I believe labor day weekend. It is pretty good LOL!!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We were up there labor day and the lake seemed pretty dead. Only a few boats at the sandbar, and not many at what we call "family beach". The sheriff stopped at the sand bar and chatted a while, never seen anyone get busted, way more laid back then say lake minnetonka. There will be channel Notzis watching for any white water in the no wake zones. The Bourbon room in Cross has pretty good food but its not on the lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.