Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight? >

Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?

Notices

Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of single engine Velocitys had them mounted horizontally and inboard above the knotch in the transom.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Also remember that if you put them parallel with the water and on the outsides of the transom they will be much higher out of the water when running at full speed. If you need tab at that speed you will need the longer tabs just to touch the water with them. From the keel of your bottom to the new location is a big difference in height. I measured I would need aprox 6" longer on my tab to do the same thing. In a nut shell don't even try it with short tabs IMO. Also if you need full tabs to get on plane this also could be a problem.
Typhoon,
What do you think about Spyder's set up? Thats how I was thinking of mounting them......
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You are looking at probably the original "K Planes"

Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

From the people that I have had help me set my boat up and i might add they have many world championships under their belts so I sure they know what they're doing, parallel with the water because when running at full speed and on the outsides of the transom they will be much higher out of the water as typhoon said. and the water is not coming off the boat at an angle so you don't want your tabs pushing at an angle (side to side) slowing you down. The red line shows where the boat rides and that's how the water exits the bottom of the boat when running so that how the tab needs to sit. but you have to run longer tabs as well.
Attached Thumbnails Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-photo05291657.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I plan on installing mine horizontal to the water and in on the lifting strake.
I'm using 280's on a 24-7 pantera.

Parallel to the hull and you may as well be throwing a parachute off the back when you actuate them downward.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Depends on the throttleman. Jason does it totally differently..the way Bobby Sheer and Keith Hazell taught him...and it seems to work OK

Neutral drive (or even a touch positive or negative) plants the ass of the boat, dropping some tab plants the bow. Nice level flight without any of the transom hop caused by tucking the drive in too much.
Glad I'm not the only person who drives like that! I trim my boats the exact same way. Once the drive is trimmed neutral (or close to it) I use the tabs to manipulate the attitude of the boat given the water conditions more so than the drive angle.. In a following sea I'll even run a little more positive drive trim and control the bow with my tabs. Less barking of the drives, much easier on the equipment, much more controlled exit and re-entry.

Last edited by Panther; 10-30-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I have a set of k-planes collecting dust in the shop. I am planning to install them on my 21' Scout. I cant decide whether to install them parallel to the V or place them horizontal like some of the newer race boats. What's your thoughts? I'll start popping some corn.....
To answer your question. The K-Planes on my Scout are mounted traditionally parallel to the V. Those tabs make a huge difference in the ride of that boat. Personally, I couldn't imagine not having them. I'm not sure if it would make as big a difference as an outboard Scout but on my I/O Scout I highly recommend them!
Attached Thumbnails Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-roost.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

In my situation, if I need tabs at higher speeds it is to keep the boat running flat in rough water while still using neutral or positive trim. Negative trim does not have the same effect and can get you in trouble. If I am running in water rough enough to require tabs then I will not be running flat out so a little drag does not matter. This is how my little Donzi 22 came from the factory and it works great. I do not need anything bigger.
The following users liked this post:
Joe (12-18-2021)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Typhoon,
What do you think about Spyder's set up? Thats how I was thinking of mounting them......
I cant see for sure from the pic but I bet it has an extension box other wise you most likely couldn't turn the drive with out hitting the tabs. You might run the risk of the tab hitting the water being that low in the transom. I also like the idea of them being further apart with the concept of them also working like training wheels if you are chine walking from side to side. These are just my opinions and Im sure there different than many others.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We boat in the south of England in fairly rough waters, prevailing wind is normally south westerly which means i usually have to run with one tab partially down to make the boat run level and i have found that if the tabs are parallel with the V as you extend the starboard tab it creates so much drag you have to steer to port to maintain your course, also the speed drops of dramatically. With them set parallel to the water they don't cause anywhere near as much drag or unwanted steering, i have also found the longer the tab the better as you don't need as much angle on a long tab.The tabs in the pictures are carbon fibre and are 8" longer than mec 380's with a slight upturn on the end to reduce drag they will have a carbon fibre reinforcement bonded to the top and the cylinders will operate almost vertically so the leverage isn't trying to pull them of the transom.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-img_0141.jpg   Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-img_0972.jpg   Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-img_0973.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (12-17-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.