LOL You know those days when things just won't go your way

Notices

LOL You know those days when things just won't go your way

Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JAIME
I can relate. Try manuvering around the docks with wind, and a strong current. O ya and i have a crash box tranny
That's why it is called a crash box, because boats with crash boxes tend to crash into the dock due to lack of reverse, and the shutting-ff and turning-on of the motor(s); that coupled with no reverse, a big cam, wild idle, the wind, and a strong current, the helmsman better have some help on the bow and stern, or be in God's good graces that day, other wise it may be a very unpleasant scratch or ding to the boat.

I feel for you, I have never had to dock a boat with a crash box; the starting and shutting-off of the motor to dock a boat is a skill set for sure, but with practice a boater/helmsman can be proficient. You definitely have my respect as a fellow boater. If a boat owner who has crash boxes instead of transmissions can successfully return to the docks on a consistent basis without damaging the boat, that guy (or girl) is truly a great helmsman.

Last edited by Smarty; 11-04-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I have two boats in stock that had crash boxes. Both have transmissions now. Race boat only, sure. Everyday boat (ex-racers in my case), transmissions is the only way to go.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I had a bad experience once, couldn't get the dang boat in the slip on a windy day. Not sure if it was the wind, the hangover, a new to me boat, or both. It was pretty embarrassing, however, fellow boaters really helped me out and I never hit anything. It's like one of those helpless feelings when everything you try just doesn't work, or makes it worse. (It was in my slip too, bow in, twin engine, bravo III, easiest docking scenario ever minus the 35 mph gusts).