Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does anyone not have boat insurance >

Does anyone not have boat insurance

Notices

Does anyone not have boat insurance

Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Bought and paid for. Maryland doesn't require insurance but they do fee and tax you to death.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Stacy @ wakezone about insuring a cat & she told me some stuff about experience and length of ownership makes a big difference in rates(if I remember correctly, was a while ago) but how do you get experience without owning a cat? I don't know anyone who would let me drive theirs without having driven one before. Catch-22. Randy
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

had the same problem 10 years ago on an 85 Chris Cat. not that it was expensive! they just did not want to insure the boat at all, at any price !!!

Fortunatly enough, I had called before buying the boat!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I do not insure everyboat, especially since I normally have multiple boats at a time, and I pay in full for them so like stated before its not required. I do have money set aside..

So if you do not insure it through a company I would at least "self insure" it and set aside some money on your own.

I understand both sides but insurance is insane, and insurance companies are FOR PROFIT, they don't care about us as a customer
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

just tell them its a fancy fiberglass pontoon boat....
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
just tell them its a fancy fiberglass pontoon boat....
Yes and bolt an old bar stool to the deck for fishin . That would throw em off .
Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I talked to Stacy @ wakezone about insuring a cat & she told me some stuff about experience and length of ownership makes a big difference in rates(if I remember correctly, was a while ago) but how do you get experience without owning a cat? I don't know anyone who would let me drive theirs without having driven one before. Catch-22. Randy
Come see me brotha I'll teach you how to fly . Then you can say you been flying deeps cat for years .
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never ran insurance on my boats (especially the super slow ones) but when I started making my boat run in the 70 mph range I got a policy that covered liability and personal Injury. It is something like 96-98$ a year. Enough that if we were to hit another boat or dock or someone got injured while on my boat we would be covered. Other then that everything on it and the boat itself is paid for cash so if I wreck it and it sinks it is what it is. It's not like I would be on the hook for a loan on something that's no longer worth anything. I'm also in md, and I know many people with small/old boats that just roll the dice.

Also I know in my case they didn't want to insure my boat for what I wanted unless I had a survey and then they would only insure it for what the surveyor said it was worth. I have no problem having a survey done on my boat when it comes time to sell it, but to spend 400+-$ to just pay 5-600$ on an insurance policy to me is insane. Spending money to get a policy that costs money. Maybe that's just me though.

Good thread though.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a plan!! I would like to investigate some new waters, hopefully Kathy will get feeling better over the winter. Would love to do another poker run. Randy
Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
That sounds like a plan!! I would like to investigate some new waters, hopefully Kathy will get feeling better over the winter. Would love to do another poker run. Randy
You know she is in my prayers my friend .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.