Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does anyone not have boat insurance >

Does anyone not have boat insurance

Notices

Does anyone not have boat insurance

Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Our cig (cause of speed) and my 14 y.o. sons (cause he's 14 years old) boat are fully insured. Right, wrong or indifferent - we do not insure our cruiser or any water toys.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom
My home owners insurance was dropped 2 time because of my king Sheppard. He is only 2 years old. I live in rural area and everyone has big dogs. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Now I'm with citizens insurance getting raped. So I'm sure they don't do boats.
Carriers are now excluding dogs, making you write a separate policy. FL insurance is nuts anyway!

Citizens is run by the state for people that can't get insurance in the private market, they only do house insurance.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry minimal limits on my actaul boat itself, but I carry 500K liability and medical on boat policy and also have a 1.5 million umbrella over me. If you didn't know this, if you cause an accident with serious injured people, they can sue and come after/take everything you have.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with Devin Wozencraft. That is who mine was through. Not too expensive and nice to deal with. Auto club was great, cheap etc.. Just will not cover over 32 feet. I have no insurance. But i have raced stuff all my life and none of that had insurance. Just try to be careful and leave it in Gods hands. And wot only once in a while so you are not used to it..Once you are used to something things can happen quicker than expected..... If there is a wildfire here I will just hook up and head to the lake or something.. That is my only worry about haveing no ins on a 100 k boat.hope this helps
Old 11-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
I carry minimal limits on my actaul boat itself, but I carry 500K liability and medical on boat policy and also have a 1.5 million umbrella over me. If you didn't know this, if you cause an accident with serious injured people, they can sue and come after/take everything you have.
Not sure you are 100% right.......

In Florida you can "homestead" your primary residence which is untouchable, then retirement accounts are usually off limits, then joint accts are off limits if the boat was only owned by one party......So if your boat is titled in just the operators name, then the assets are all joint I suspect there will be low chance of a big payday. Factor in a bankruptcy and million dollar judgments would easily get tossed. Note if the judgments were the result of a criminal action (dui etc) then bankruptcy may not discharge the debt.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
I would go with Devin Wozencraft. That is who mine was through. Not too expensive and nice to deal with. Auto club was great, cheap etc.. Just will not cover over 32 feet. I have no insurance. But i have raced stuff all my life and none of that had insurance. Just try to be careful and leave it in Gods hands. And wot only once in a while so you are not used to it..Once you are used to something things can happen quicker than expected..... If there is a wildfire here I will just hook up and head to the lake or something.. That is my only worry about haveing no ins on a 100 k boat.hope this helps
"In gods hands " You better bring a checkbook and lawyers also
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered

Speaking from experience, sh*t happens fast..... Even while going slow on the water. I have always been fine with paying for insurance because I just sleep better knowing my a*s is covered. Considering myself an extremely safe boater I was "victim" of a jet skier not knowing what the hell he was doing out on the water. Without getting in to detail, he was 100% at fault and my a*s was the one being sued. Having the proper insurance I didn't have to spend 1 penny on litigation/defense and it was comforting to know it was being taken care of by the best attorneys and people in the industry without me spending a cent. I could only imagine the cost had it been out of pocket, it gets $expensive$ fast, even if your not at fault. I get the notion of not insuring the boat if it's paid off and it is what it is but liability is a MUST in my book. And honestly our hobby is an expensive one, you have to pay to play........ Just my 2 cents.......
Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you guys without insurance not trailer your boats very far? There are just too many possibilities to not have it IMO. Also, I sure hope no one is running fun runs and poker runs without insurance although I'm pretty sure they are all fairly strict on that.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Had to refinance my house to pay off my 1994 30 outboard cat when the insurance company dropped me after a year. Bunch of BULL$HIT. NY no insurance, I'll take my chances at the cost they want. I was paying $2500 yr.
What does a $40,000 car thats driven every day cost to insure opposed to a boat that gets driven 10-20 times a year. Do the math it is friggin ridiculous. How many $40,000 auto claims do they deal with a day compared to the boats per year, it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Jupiter....Every state is different...I would still carry the 1.5 million as it only costs me another 800 per year. I don't trust any exemptions that you stated that may apply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.