The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee >

The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee

Notices

The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee

Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have been intrigued since I can remember having grown up on the lake (Erie). I can remember being at out cottage on Long Beach on the southwest corner of Erie reading one of many tales of the great lakes books. This book in particular was ship wrecks, the story I was reading was about a merchant four masted sailing ship from the early 1800s named the Success. The ship had an incredible and checkered past from transporting goods to transporting prisoners to being a museum ship moored in locations all over the world. It also left in the shadow of the Titanic on the same night to cross the Atlantic nearly a month later she arrived in ny alone. As I read the story of all the ports it had been at and all that it had gone through with multiple sinkings/raisings and all its incarnations I had no idea till the last page that its wreck was within eyesight of exactly where I was sitting looking out our picture window. Was very cool and I still have that book along with many others.

There is a wreck of two old wooden ships just off the point where we all hang out, you can walk out to one of them easily when the wind blows the water out in the fall. One is a schooner barge that sank in 1908 and the other a wooden side wheel steamer that foundered and went down in 1839. We went out to the schooner earlier this week and a buddy of mine found this bottle near by. it is still corked and has its wax seal and still has its contents. After some research they found it to be a bottle of medicated aerated water from ireland and from 1880. How cool is that find! I found a partial bottle that says lake erie bottle company toledo ohio and is an old cork style and like a quarter inch thick. cool find huh
Attached Thumbnails The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee-img952061-1502336734.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-10-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Old 11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I have been intrigued since I can remember having grown up on the lake (Erie). I can remember being at out cottage on Long Beach on the southwest corner of Erie reading one of many tales of the great lakes books. This book in particular was ship wrecks, the story I was reading was about a merchant four masted sailing ship from the early 1800s named the Success. The ship had an incredible and checkered past from transporting goods to transporting prisoners to being a museum ship moored in locations all over the world. It also left in the shadow of the Titanic on the same night to cross the Atlantic nearly a month later she arrived in ny alone. As I read the story of all the ports it had been at and all that it had gone through with multiple sinkings/raisings and all its incarnations I had no idea till the last page that its wreck was within eyesight of exactly where I was sitting looking out our picture window. Was very cool and I still have that book along with many others.

There is a wreck of two old wooden ships just off the point where we all hang out, you can walk out to one of them easily when the wind blows the water out in the fall. One is a schooner barge that sank in 1908 and the other a wooden side wheel steamer that foundered and went down in 1839. We went out to the schooner earlier this week and a buddy of mine found this bottle near by. it is still corked and has its wax seal and still has its contents. After some research they found it to be a bottle of medicated aerated water from ireland and from 1880. How cool is that find! I found a partial bottle that says lake erie bottle company toledo ohio and is an old cork style and like a quarter inch thick. cool find huh
That is a cool story glass d and even a cooler historical find . A shot of that stuff would probably put you down for a month . I'm craving more stories like this .
Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That article on the Bradley dive in 59 was very interesting. As a kid I read a lot about Great Lake shipwrecks including the Bradley. There are some very interesting sites and books if you do a search. There are more than 4000 known or documented commercial shipwrecks to date on the lakes, not counting yachts or private vessels. Godspeed all those who lost their lives on these beautiful but unforgiving waters.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by the deep
That is a cool story glass d and even a cooler historical find . A shot of that stuff would probably put you down for a month . I'm craving more stories like this .

that was in the late seventies when I read that story, as a kid I spent a lot of time out there with my grandparents. They had a nice collection of great lakes books, many I still have. To this day I pick them up often its also great to get online and research this stuff as well
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Hey Dave...I need to get on board with some of these adventures
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for a good read, grab a copy of "Great Lakes Shipwrecks" lots of interesting stories, good read.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by the deep
yea I told my buddy to pop the cork an take a swig . . . . havnt heard from him in a few days lol
Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ips_Bell_2.JPG
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Yes it's the song again but includes some incredible underwater footage of the Fitz on the bottom . At the end of the vid are listed the names and pics of the crew . A fitting tribute .

http://youtu.be/hgI8bta-7aw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.