Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break

Notices

Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break

Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
absolutely correct. the sport could no longer remain strictly 'off shore' if it is to survive, and have public appeal.
No, but they could run more laps.
When I raced in Key West, we would run clockwise turn left out of the harbor and run along the beach then offshore and back along the beach about a 1/2 mile out.

For 2 - 30 mile races Wed & Friday, its just too short. At least for me anyway. I think it is all about keeping as many boats running for Sunday's event than anything.

I think the inner harbor Hotels pushed to have the races stop running along the beach. But I am not 100% sure about that...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I think they can keep the same classes but run them all together like they do at Le Mans or other Sprint/Endurance style racing. It would definitely make it more challenging by making the faster boats navigate around the slower one and "vice a versa". I know the closing rate would be huge in some instances but you would at least have more boats on the course for the entire duration. The main problem is lack of boats on a course on a given race especially when one, two, three or four break down... Just a thought.... Jim
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people go to the races to see racing. In this day and age people want to be entertained. leaving an area, heading straight out for fifty miles and coming back a half hour later wont work anymore. For racing to be successful it take a big checkbook and for the most part that takes big sponsors. Advertising money isn't going to go where there isnt people. I would like to see some of the camera technology used in NASCAR and other forms of motorsports. Some of the on board footage is way more exciting than anything viewed from shore. Im all for old school when it fits but for offshore boat racing I cant see it having a huge crowd turnout unless the spectators are kept entertained.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can definitely see the point now of close to shore. Offshore, you're like the wife waiting for her husband to return to shore. But honestly, I watched the little circle circuit, and I feel asleep. It got worse trying to decipher who won, which was indeed ridiculous. It is what it is, which explains the small dollars and smaller crowds. Without the parties and bling, nobody would go at all.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Most people go to the races to see racing. In this day and age people want to be entertained. leaving an area, heading straight out for fifty miles and coming back a half hour later wont work anymore. For racing to be successful it take a big checkbook and for the most part that takes big sponsors. Advertising money isn't going to go where there isnt people. I would like to see some of the camera technology used in NASCAR and other forms of motorsports. Some of the on board footage is way more exciting than anything viewed from shore. Im all for old school when it fits but for offshore boat racing I cant see it having a huge crowd turnout unless the spectators are kept entertained.
on the money
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Im all for old school when it fits but for offshore boat racing I cant see it having a huge crowd turnout unless the spectators are kept entertained.
Amazingly, Point Pleasant Beach in the earlier years if you didn't get to the jetty 1st thing in the morning you weren't going to get a spot. You literally couldn't see the jetty , that's how many spectators turned out for that race when they did run offshore. Not to mention it was also held on a Wednesday. People booked their vacations around it every year.

Being a novelty back then played a huge role in that. Today you can now see Poker Run boats on any given weekend so it really is not as big of a deal to see a large powerful offshore boat any more….

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 11-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I understand the desire to bring money in, but this isn't nascar, its never going to be nascar. Of all the race teams out their, how many make their living at it? Mark and Scotty? who else? The amount of viewers was on the livestream from key west, think I saw around 1100? those ratings aren't going to bring big dollars. Races going on with 15 boats in 17 classes isn't going to make it happen either. SVL has potential to make a decent class but infighting has splintered the class into multiple orgs. Why? because racers don't think they will get a fair shake at doing decent because of other boats, rules etc. If it was off shore instead of a go kart track and those guys had a much better chance at not being last, if their was some completion, would their be more teams? The fans, the fans!! well are you putting on a race or a circus??

There is a post a few days ago looking for an svl teammate, how many replies does that thread have?? If you want to have a successful restaurant you have to have decent food.

Last edited by phragle; 11-13-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Avs38
I was in KW this week. It was announced that this would be the last race.. Clearwater was rumored. As for the racing, Fridays races and the first 2 races Sunday we're cent. The third face on Sunday, was boring, other then the 2 fires (unfortunate to say). Fans were losing interest fast on race 3. Further, the SBI change to the course, due to seat turtles was poorly managed and racers were forced to make a dangerous turn due to the placement of the turn buoys and the channel markers. On the plus side SBI did move the milling area, (pre start) away from the channel marker that warpaint hit.
At the start of the third race i went back to the pool and made a cocktail. It isn't that exciting to watch a couple boats play follow the leader. Supercat was awesome. Big props for building a class and merging classes together to fill a field and actually race.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because we don't race offshore anymore..it was bigger back then .... keep in mind if it's big and were running 120+ in seas (not 65 in a resin bucket like the old days) and there is an incident 15 miles out... who is going to render assistance? It's never enough. Try and be realistic with your ideas....one of us not coming home to our familes isn't an option to re live the past. We are pushing these boats to their limits turning at unheard of speeds, massive hp engines (not 800hp engines 1700+ hp) and hulls as strong as steel breaking. We don't make the rules we race the course we are given.

Btw the super cats had 6 boats racing the unlimiteds had 5 +2 turbines (7). We will see how next year shape up.

great fun in Key West. Start prepping for 2014
Attached Thumbnails Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break-img_3741.jpg   Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break-img_3742.jpg   Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break-img_3743.jpg  

Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I think they need to rename the sport or something... Offshore racing was something completely different. 135 miles over THREE days?? shortening the course because its a little bumpy?? In my mind the offshore world championships should be an offshore challenge, something like the Baja 1000 on water. 135 miles over 3 days is like having the Baja 1000 in a walmart parkinglot with rest breaks. But then again, Im old, I got hooked on the sport seeing it on tv in the 70's.

Yeah, I know I don't race boats. Although I have a nice shiny chunk of wood on the mantle that says Baja 1000 and #1. It was the challenge of going as fast as you can while keeping it in one piece, knowing if you broke it, you were either fixing it or sitting in the middle of nowhere for a long time. Its supposed to be a marathon not a sprint. Its about using your brain more than the throttle. Where finishing is a feat in itself, finishing first is a bonus.
I agree with you 100% that it was BS to shorten the course because it was a little rough. However, all you need to do is look at the first page in GD for the thread on the lawsuits from Key West to get the answer. If they didn't shorten the course and, God forbid, something happened and a boat went over causing someone to lose their life, don't you think they will play follow the leader and file suit as well. I'm certainly not saying it's right, because it's not, but it's a fact of life. Unfortunately, SBI would be opening themselves up for more suits. It's really a shame that lawsuits can dictate how/where a race should be run, but I would be willing to bet that it played some role in it.

I certainly don't have the answers though. I wish I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.