Launch ramp in St. Joseph, MI??? >

Launch ramp in St. Joseph, MI???

Notices

Launch ramp in St. Joseph, MI???

Old 08-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Frank/Bigblock,

If you use the DNR launch (Riverview Dr.) be sure to use one of the last two launch slips---they're a little deeper and closer to the mainstream of the river. I usually try and use the one that is FARTHEST OUT (along the wall) from the little DNR check in hut. Also, once your boat is in the water, bring your drives up a bit and avoid doing all kinds of turning around within that launch area. Do your best to get the butt end of the boat out into the main stream of the river and do your turning there if you can. The river is marked with bouys, also I'm sure you'll be able to see/follow other boating traffic. Not trying to scare you, just trying to give give you some precautions. Perhaps we'll see you there.

Mark/KAAMA
Old 08-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual,KAAMA is faster than I am ,Was going to advise you what pier to use,and river problems,but Mark covered it all.....

Mark get that boat going,I need to hear that sweet cackle from those 540's again
Steve
Old 08-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

Well, a few nights a week for about the past 6 weeks me and a friend of mine have been re-rigging my boat. We had to modify and re-weld my engine hatch actuator---that is now finished. My engine hatch is also finished-----we had the Harwood scoops moved back by 10 inches on my engine hatch. We will install the hatch actuator tomorrow and bleed the drive and K-plane lines. At this point, we really can't do much else other than install the engines -------will someone pinch me? I mean, it this really happening? That means my boat could--FOR REAL--be running by next weekend! Woah----could this be REALITY? I CAN'T HANDLE IT! Almost too good to be true! Maybe I ought to let it merinate in my brain for a while so that it catches up with me. WHEW!
Old 08-10-2002, 10:16 AM
bigblock

Mark,
WOW, at this point I'm sure your dreaming of the wind and G-forces as you hit WOT! "What brings me to your area?" I will be visiting my brother/family which lives in Portage so decided to bring the boat on Fri PM, let the kids camp out in it (in the driveway), then head to the lake on Sat. Sounds like your launch areas are also fun docking w/ the current.

My PQ boat is white w/ red and grey stripes, red trailer. If all goes well with your boat, what time do plan to hit the water on that Sat?

Frank

Old 08-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

Default DNR launch no current...

The St. Joe launch ramp on the island (you can't really tell it's an island) is the launch ramp that you have to deal with the current at. The DNR launch ramp on Riverview Drive (the one we told you that you should use) has NO CURRENT to deal with for the most part. It's hard to say what time on Saturday I'll be there. Probably around noonish. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:22 AM
Registered

Just an update on the progress of my boat. I won't have the boat ready for the water by this weekend---we're just not there yet. We did a final check/inspection of all the correct bolt sizes needed to install the engines. Sunday will be the next time we will be able to work on the project. At that time we will be bolting on the rest of the external stuff----headers, fly wheels, driveshaft/flywheel couplers, bell housings, wire harness brackets, etc. What can I say? It just takes time and I can only work on it twice per week and only for a couple hours at a time at that! But it's coming....it's coming along!

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-16-2002 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:30 PM
bigblock

KAAMA,

Glad to hear your making progress, best to do it right the first time! Good luck, keep us posted...

FM