Notices

CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=neva satisfied;4030012]
Originally Posted by Scagburner
Yes there is a way to tell. The old style outer tubes ran all the way down to the flange that bolts on to the motor. The Gen-X design does not. They taper in just before the flange. Maybe a half inch or so.
It's true that the Gen-X headers have the "cool collar" design where the outer tubes taper about 1/4" before the flange and it's true that older style headers had the outer tubes run all the way to the flange but just because the headers have the cool collar design doesn't mean they are OK.

The headers that failed on me where "newer design" with the cool collars but were from the vintage (2004) where the grade of stainless was inferior and CMI was not heat treating the headers. From what I've been told, it wasn't until 2010 that the headers that CMI made for Merc as OEM were improved.

You can tell a Gen-x header because it looks nothing like a CMI/Merc OEM header. It has separate distribution tubes that attach to the header with small rubber hoses and there is no bypass hose between the distribution tubes and tails. The Gen-x header is better quality overall than the CMI/Merc header.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty much everyone knows I had some "issues" with CMI's, Merc. and their staff, etc. A few things for everyone with CMI's.
The "cool" collar is just a way to make them easier to fabricate, weld. A weak point, no cooling at the flange and the single layer of tube. (+- 1/4" to 1/2" ) Often racks. The collectors are weak and vibrate and crack.
A few things you can do to help. Drain the headers after "Every" use, but wait for about 20-30 minutes to allow the system to cool. Draining them too quick, (IE; the after market constant drain) will drain the headers as soon as the engines are shut off. Headers will remain hot and may crack. Install a "heavy" duty rubber connection from the tail pipes to the tips, with the wire inserts. This will help stiffen the headers. You want to remove any movement of the headers. Install a connection rod, (like the outdrive tie rods, ) between the port and strbd headers on the top. This will reduce
flapping" just thing if you have your arms out and jump off from a chair, your arms will come down a bit, The headers will do the same. YOu want the headers to "move" with the motors and not independently. Movement = cracks and stress. At the cool collar and the flange, you can weld or install some "grill" like SST parts to help cool the gap. Kinda like air cooled bikes or outboards, or have some one else some "connecting" beads from the flange to the outside tube. Spread the heat. Even wrapping Al foil around will help, to decapitate the heat. I got my set up like this and for several yeas no issues. I had leaky headers, valve issues but luckily I caught the problem in time so valve work was my most costly item. Check for compression and leak down OFTEN. Hope this helps. (until my header design gets to the market. )
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=HyFive578;4030038]
Originally Posted by neva satisfied

It's true that the Gen-X headers have the "cool collar" design where the outer tubes taper about 1/4" before the flange and it's true that older style headers had the outer tubes run all the way to the flange but just because the headers have the cool collar design doesn't mean they are OK.

The headers that failed on me where "newer design" with the cool collars but were from the vintage (2004) where the grade of stainless was inferior and CMI was not heat treating the headers. From what I've been told, it wasn't until 2010 that the headers that CMI made for Merc as OEM were improved.

You can tell a Gen-x header because it looks nothing like a CMI/Merc OEM header. It has separate distribution tubes that attach to the header with small rubber hoses and there is no bypass hose between the distribution tubes and tails. The Gen-x header is better quality overall than the CMI/Merc header.
The "rubber" hose system is CMI, the solid water connection is Merc. The gen "X' headers have "turned down" area at the collector box to avoid back splash. With the square collection box, the lower tubes will allow water to the cylinders. or back wash from waves. Actually this came after I had some serious discussions with the CMI dudes.

Last edited by PARADOX; 11-20-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Schulte
I have two pair for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o54595-en.html

I will give you 2 pair for $5000.

They do not leak.

Regards.
Thanks but i already have a used set that are repaired

my builder said i need new ones
Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
With the square collection box, the lower tubes will allow water to the cylinders. or back wash from waves. Actually this came after I had some serious discussions with the CMI dudes.
Are you talking about the gen-x headers or CMI/Merc headers?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Can't even buy them from Merc anymore... Buying new ones from Teague would be my suggestion. They are still $5400 retail a set! ching ching Gerald!!!!!

I bought a new set of Big Tubes last year so just bend over and take it brother... MG told me being cool aint cheap!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Take a look at these . http://www.diamondperformanceparts.c...cat=280&page=1
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of the crap prdoucts that Mercury Racing puts out? 1350's,1100's, drive failures, including #6's, for no apparent reason, 525, 600, 700 header issues. The only decent reliable product that they put out was the 496 and 525 (minus the headers), which is why I believe they have discontinued production of these.

How they can cram a motor into an outboard casing and it be more reliable is beyond me. Maybe the fisherman ***** more than we do.

You would think after 50 years, they could get it right.

Although the header was a Mercury spec, I also blame CMI for allowing these to go to production. They had to know the header was inferior. Kinda of like hiring a roofer to plumb my house...
Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Are you talking about the gen-x headers or CMI/Merc headers?
The gen x headers have the collectors boxes with a low lip to help with the back wash. It's like a little dam before the water goes into the tubes. Not sure how the "current" merc headers look like.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnorthga
I talked to Donny yesterday, great guy to talk to about boat parts his dad Don Carter was a big time boat racer back in the day.

Donny said mercury improved there headers in 09 re-did the collector area and its been 4 years and he has not saw any go bad but OMG he wants $5500 a set x 2 $11000.00 I am now saying I cant afford them I just think thats a little high for 2 sets
look at the stainless marine stuff, it last forever from what ive seen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.