Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone use U ship to transport a boat >

Anyone use U ship to transport a boat

Notices

Anyone use U ship to transport a boat

Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a uship clown ship a small outboard for me... he picked it up, sent me a pic of it in the back of his truck... i never got it, he stopped answering my calls and emails. i contacted uship they told me sorry, too bad, they have no control over their shippers. gave me the guys name and address. i will try to go after him legally...rm
Old 12-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

I've had good luck with U-Ship so far on several types of loads. Found a professional RV trailer transporter looking for a back haul, he brought my boat from CA to IN for a great rate. Stuck to the schedule, provided updates along the way, and then we agreed to meet at a truck stop closer to his home town that cut my cost a good bit.

As mentioned above, always do your research on any bidding carriers, cause there is some shady brokers and plenty of hot shot guys on there who might not have the proper insurance to cover your boat. Since you require oversize permits, that should weed out most of those un-registered carriers.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I had to move my 353 FasTech from Las Vegas to Buffalo, NY (2300 miles) in 2009 and had great luck using uship.com With uship, you don't necesarily want to choose the lowest bid on your transport (as others have stated) you want to go with the best rated company that also offers you a fair price. Take the time to read the feedback that other customers have left for the transporters that have bid on your shipment.... You'll have to weed through a few scammers & jokers.

The guy I ended up hiring thru USHIP (craneman4) works alone with his 3/4 ton pick-up truck and has his DOT#'s and is insured. He is not a broker, he is the one who picks up, hauls and delivers your shipment. It does not sit in a yard somewhere waiting while someone tries to find someone else to haul it. THAT'S what I was looking for, someone who would be PERSONALLY responsible for the transportation of my new boat from start to finish.

I ended up paying $2,240.00 (aprox. $1.00 per mile) which I thought was a very fair price... Other bids came in a few hundred cheaper, but I went with craneman4 for the reasons stated.

For my own peace of mind, I also had my insurance agent bind my own coverage on the boat in case anything went wrong on the way here... That way, I felt like I had double protection for the long journey home.

Good luck with your shipment!

Dave
Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I used them a few years ago to get a boat from Florida to Maine. Worked out good other than the transporter lost his transmission in Georgia in the middle of the night Boat showed up 3 days late which wasn't an issue. The guy transporting it was really nervous I was going to give him a bad review. I told him these things happen and not to get worried about it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had three boats shipped using USHIP. The first two were perfect, the last one was disastrous. My feedback on Uship:

Most frustrating experience of my life. He got deposit/possession of my boat, then made daily requests for wire transfers for gas. Said he broke down (x2), more money to repair, more days of delay. Then threatened to pawn his phone unless he got yet more gas money. I then travelled 1600 miles, each way, to track him down. He wasn't anywhere near where he said he would be and then I guess panicked, refused to communicate. "Thunderstorms interfering, can't call". Then claimed he had to be hospitalized along the way. More days of delay. Then refused to communicate at all, while I was holed up in a motel waiting for him. Threatened to call police. An absolute, complete disaster. Run. Run very fast.

Don't take the lowest bid, ask if the guy can verify where he lives (many live out of their trucks, and can't afford ANY preventative maintenance), make sure YOU have the boat insured for wreck, cause many of them don't (when they say they do), STRONGLY consider having someone stick a gps tracking device in the boat. Seriously. At least the you know exactly where your toy is.

Oh, and then I get raped by Canada Customs at the Windsor border, including complete search of everything on my ipad and computer. Fortunately the pics of the young things were of boats.

Last edited by bouncedcheque; 12-20-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Uship to move an airdock from Michigan to Florida. Worked out well.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 40 on boat and trailer shipped from ct to fla. Absolutely no issue but you need to get a copy of the truckers insurance company from the person handling your boat.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had good the great experiences with this. I got a boat delivered to me and the guys was unconditionally nice even washed the boat at the car wash before deliveering/ Got a new WS for one of my Fountains delivered and that was great. Had a boat I sold delivered too.. 2 times ./ both times i had to wait a bit longer for them to pick up the boat but all went well