Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Wow, this sounds just like a blast from the past on OSO. Did you try a search of your builders name here on OSO?
I did and the builder has nothing but good reviews from every post I've read about them on here. It's the mechanic who pulled the engine and sent it off that seems to be the issue, and I wasn't able to find any info on him on here but I think he has only been in business for a few years on his own.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
hey .. this is how this industry works . they already charge insane prices for everything from nuts n bolts . hey if its a boat chrge three times what it should cost . that's the industry standard .. its a boat engine . it takes 4 times as much to build it . i really dont know how any one will continue to keep paying these outrageous bills ... go to school and earn to build them yourself . or work to buy engines allot .. don't forget when it breaks after 3 hrs it will be something you did .not covered by warren tee ... been there done that .. still i pay as others do to . god i love go fast boats .. just for the record it cost me 30 k just to have my motors pulled . resat with my complete dressed pfaffs , some new plumbing , trans rebuilt . talk about shock n awe ... and had custom tails from cmi almost forgot them ..my motors did also need small fabrication on motor mounts since they were tall decks . im happy just be prepaired for that final bill .. it should be about 5 pages long lol...best of luck . id keep my 16500 and buy another motor . hopefully small downpayment to surrender ... youre getting stroked .. bummer
geez. I am in the wrong business!!

You are right though, everything labeled ''marine'' or from a marine vendor, is marked up ridiculously. I think we can thank Mercury for most of that.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last one for engines / dirves swapped and dyno. I already bought the engines and drives this was on top of that just rigging. Never been back. They were to busy after I paid the bill for a sea trial when I went to Pick it up too. Said they were waiting on a Skater customer to arrive and couldn't leave. Find them FXXK'em forget them should be on their shop wall. On top of all that My upholstery was all greased up, they forgot to put the seals between the drives and boxes and my bilge filled up with water sitting on the trailer at the launch warming up the engines first rattle out of the box. I could actually hear the water pouring in.

Labor $29,500 >>>$95.00/Hr X 310 Hrs. WTF? That's 38.75 days @ 8 Hrs a day

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515722[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?-boat-cost.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 01-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Tell ya what ill update you every DAY for $16,500 and build you a nice 540 long block ready for the pro charger and 1,000 hp by march.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the $16,500 is the amount that the mechanic owes the machine shop and the machine shop is holding your engine hostage! I would call machine shop directly and work it out with them as it is your motor.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tajinate
I did and the builder has nothing but good reviews from every post I've read about them on here. It's the mechanic who pulled the engine and sent it off that seems to be the issue, and I wasn't able to find any info on him on here but I think he has only been in business for a few years on his own.
Spill it, who is it ???
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tajinate
Yeah, I meant the mechanics name.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Yeah, I meant the mechanics name.
Why not call the engine builder and explain the situation see what his take is?
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Post the invoice break down of all charges.
Building a carbed engine with internals capable handling a prochrger is a lot less complex than actually building and tuning a procharged engine and doing all the rigging in the boat.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 4 single engine cats. Been where you are and it sucks!

5 years ago I made the swap from blower motors and the guys that build them to v-10 ilmor(s). 401 hours with nothing but fun and oil/impeller changes and two shoot out trophies in my class at loto.

Unless you can build these motors or pay the guys that do it right its best to ride stock! IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.