Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record >

Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record

Notices

Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record

Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Its amazing that people keep posting this crap. Motors failed, unbelievable. They came with some massive power, made some testing runs and believe me, it far exceeded the record, but the engines didn't make it so Fountain broke the record by themselves. To note, the Sterlings ate themselves as well due to not having water at 170mph but it made it through the kilo both directions so they've had the record. That's racing. But saying stupid stuff like a tail between there legs is flat out incorrect and disrespectful.
it is what it is I was there never saw you there, I know the engines in the fountain were hurt due to low water and I also know they were working on just that the day before. Crap it is not but I will tell you this it was a first class smack down so if you want it go get it and if you do I will be the first to say you are the man, but for 10 years it has been all Reggie.Ps to go on camera and say WE ARE the fastest v bottom in the world and not try to back it up, seems to me that opened the door for my as you say stupid stuff .

Last edited by mikes280; 02-11-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
After a lot of stories and Dustins post about "no water" I pulled up videos and cut and paste from the recent OL speed video and Fountain 171 video. Its really interesting to look how different the attitudes are when running. If they can get the OL up in the 180's it looks like it will keep going and be stable. The Fountain is almost entirely out of the water like a bass boat. However, really interesting. BIG BALLS either way!

Pretty insane!

Sorry for quality - cut and paste from video.
That's because the Fountain is going 177 and the outerlimits is going much much slower.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to all this talk on the day the Fountain set the record. Wouldn't you think that in this type of situation, that the OL fellas would have a spare engine, parts if something did happened ??I am sure both boats will prob break the old record, its been standing for 10 fuggn years LOL.

John jr
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't know if having the world record for fastest V bottom helps to sell more boats, but I do know that going into the 2004 Miami Boat show both Fountain and OL made a big deal of claiming to have the world's fastest V - and they both paid for banners to proclaim it A year later there was another much less known chapter to the Fountain/Outerlimits saga going into the 2005 Miami boat show. I'll bet not a lot of people know here know that story.

For a refresher, in Jan of 2004 Reggie announced that he was going to make a kilo run in an attempt to break his own V bottom world record which at the time if memory serves me right was around 149 MPH - and it had stood for quite a few years. Fountain announced that their kilo attempt would be per the official kilo rules - measured course, officially timed by a sanction body, speed traps, two way pass..... basically everything done by the book, all legit and verified by an independent party . Breaking the kilo record right before Miami might be expensive, but it would be a marketing coupe and perhaps garner Fountain some of the attention back that OL had be stealing from them on the Poker Run circuit. The OL GTX's with their beautiful paint jobs, sit down configuration and huge motors had no doubt replaced Fountains as the V bottom attention grabbers and stars on the poker run circuit.

So the weekend before the Miami show Reggie successfully completed an official 2-way pass kilo run in the 161 mph range thus besting his old record by some 13 mph. Fountain and Reggie were set up to be bathed in glory at the Miami show. On Monday they put out a press release announcing the record and even put out a video so the world could watch it. On the Monday before the Miami show all was well in Reggie world (but only for a day as it turns out).

On Tuesday, the very next morning, the Fountain/Outerlimits war began in earnest. The first shot fired came in the form of a press release issued by Mike Fiore of Outerlimits claiming that Outerlimits had gone out the previous week in Triple X and had ran an even faster speed than Fountain and thus OL claimed that they in fact had the world's fastest V bottom boat. The only evidence OL offered to back their claim was a still photograph of Triple X's GPS showing a static reading of 163 MPH. All hell broke loose on OSO and in the Offshore performance world with half the community calling bs on OL's undocumented claims, and the other half loving it that OL had stuck it to Reggie.

As we all know later that summer Reggie invited the world to his backyard to settle the matter between Fountain and OL for all the world to see and what happened there is well documented.

Now for the part of the story that most people have not heard.

In January of 2005 a thread appeared on the Lake Cumberland.com forum started by a local boater. The subject of the thread was that a local had noticed that the COE had granted a permit for a world record speed attempt which was to take place on the east end of LC in late Jan. That thread caught the attention of one of the few high performance boaters on Lake Cumberland.com and in turn inquiries were made; first to the COE, and then to mechanics they knew who worked at Lake Cumberland Marine. As it turned out there was a buzz at Lake Cumberland Marine. Randy Hartman, then the owner of Lake Cumberland Marine, (the biggest OL dealer in the world at the time) had invited a select few vendors to join him on his houseboat the following weekend to witness Mike Fiore and OL set a new V bottom record. The mechanics at LCM were pumped up about it and were forthcoming with plenty of details about the attempt.

OL was going to run 1850 HP engines from a certain builder out west. That builder was called and confirmed that there was to be an attempt and that his engines are to be used in on it. Considering the lack of evidence that OL had offered up the last time OL claimed to have set the speed record, there was serious doubts about the validity of any claims that might be forthcoming from OL if they were to again make their run out of the public eye. But what to do about it? The decision was made to pass on the info` to the people who would be most harmed by a bogus claim to breaking the standing V bottom record - so a phone call to Fountain was made giving them advanced notice of the attempt.

In no time at all Reggie was on the phone to LCM (who was also a big Fountain dealer) announcing that he was making plans to show up in person on Lake Cumberland that weekend to witness any attempt made on his V bottom record. I would have loved to have heard that phone call between Randy Hartman and Reggie Fountain. I'll bet it was a bit awkward to say the least.

Anyways, after the cat was out of the bag so to speak and Reggie had declared that he would show up in person to verify the validity of any such run, the run was then suddenly and permanently called off. I later heard from the LC people that the run was called off because of............ engine trouble.

True story. Draw your own conclusions.

I do not doubt that OL now has the technology to break the record. I wish their team the best of luck and safety in their attempt. However, personally, I do not believe that ten years ago OL had the speed and handling to run anywhere near as fast as Fountain and live through it, and that is why OL never tried to break the V bottom record in public. But that is just my opinion from cyberspace FWIW, which I know isn't much
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Seeing where this is headed I will enter my guess
182mph for the boat
184 pages for this thread! Lol
Change your settings in your profile and it will only be 62 pages
Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Back to all this talk on the day the Fountain set the record. Wouldn't you think that in this type of situation, that the OL fellas would have a spare engine, parts if something did happened ??I am sure both boats will prob break the old record, its been standing for 10 fuggn years LOL.

John jr
The motors were supplied by Racecrafters, massive power but didn't live and they didn't have a spare, and frankly one would've needed "spares". The project was pulled together at the last minute so there weren't a lot of those laying around. Also, the so called "I have every part" is not true for those engines therefore they couldn't run.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I don't know if having the world record for fastest V bottom helps to sell more boats, but I do know that going into the 2004 Miami Boat show both Fountain and OL made a big deal of claiming to have the world's fastest V - and they both paid for banners to proclaim it A year later there was another much less known chapter to the Fountain/Outerlimits saga going into the 2005 Miami boat show. I'll bet not a lot of people know here know that story.

For a refresher, in Jan of 2004 Reggie announced that he was going to make a kilo run in an attempt to break his own V bottom world record which at the time if memory serves me right was around 149 MPH - and it had stood for quite a few years. Fountain announced that their kilo attempt would be per the official kilo rules - measured course, officially timed by a sanction body, speed traps, two way pass..... basically everything done by the book, all legit and verified by an independent party . Breaking the kilo record right before Miami might be expensive, but it would be a marketing coupe and perhaps garner Fountain some of the attention back that OL had be stealing from them on the Poker Run circuit. The OL GTX's with their beautiful paint jobs, sit down configuration and huge motors had no doubt replaced Fountains as the V bottom attention grabbers and stars on the poker run circuit.

So the weekend before the Miami show Reggie successfully completed an official 2-way pass kilo run in the 161 mph range thus besting his old record by some 13 mph. Fountain and Reggie were set up to be bathed in glory at the Miami show. On Monday they put out a press release announcing the record and even put out a video so the world could watch it. On the Monday before the Miami show all was well in Reggie world (but only for a day as it turns out).

On Tuesday, the very next morning, the Fountain/Outerlimits war began in earnest. The first shot fired came in the form of a press release issued by Mike Fiore of Outerlimits claiming that Outerlimits had gone out the previous week in Triple X and had ran an even faster speed than Fountain and thus OL claimed that they in fact had the world's fastest V bottom boat. The only evidence OL offered to back their claim was a still photograph of Triple X's GPS showing a static reading of 163 MPH. All hell broke loose on OSO and in the Offshore performance world with half the community calling bs on OL's undocumented claims, and the other half loving it that OL had stuck it to Reggie.

As we all know later that summer Reggie invited the world to his backyard to settle the matter between Fountain and OL for all the world to see and what happened there is well documented.

Now for the part of the story that most people have not heard.

In January of 2005 a thread appeared on the Lake Cumberland.com forum started by a local boater. The subject of the thread was that a local had noticed that the COE had granted a permit for a world record speed attempt which was to take place on the east end of LC in late Jan. That thread caught the attention of one of the few high performance boaters on Lake Cumberland.com and in turn inquiries were made; first to the COE, and then to mechanics they knew who worked at Lake Cumberland Marine. As it turned out there was a buzz at Lake Cumberland Marine. Randy Hartman, then the owner of Lake Cumberland Marine, (the biggest OL dealer in the world at the time) had invited a select few vendors to join him on his houseboat the following weekend to witness Mike Fiore and OL set a new V bottom record. The mechanics at LCM were pumped up about it and were forthcoming with plenty of details about the attempt.

OL was going to run 1850 HP engines from a certain builder out west. That builder was called and confirmed that there was to be an attempt and that his engines are to be used in on it. Considering the lack of evidence that OL had offered up the last time OL claimed to have set the speed record, there was serious doubts about the validity of any claims that might be forthcoming from OL if they were to again make their run out of the public eye. But what to do about it? The decision was made to pass on the info` to the people who would be most harmed by a bogus claim to breaking the standing V bottom record - so a phone call to Fountain was made giving them advanced notice of the attempt.

In no time at all Reggie was on the phone to LCM (who was also a big Fountain dealer) announcing that he was making plans to show up in person on Lake Cumberland that weekend to witness any attempt made on his V bottom record. I would have loved to have heard that phone call between Randy Hartman and Reggie Fountain. I'll bet it was a bit awkward to say the least.

Anyways, after the cat was out of the bag so to speak and Reggie had declared that he would show up in person to verify the validity of any such run, the run was then suddenly and permanently called off. I later heard from the LC people that the run was called off because of............ engine trouble.

True story. Draw your own conclusions.

I do not doubt that OL now has the technology to break the record. I wish their team the best of luck and safety in their attempt. However, personally, I do not believe that ten years ago OL had the speed and handling to run anywhere near as fast as Fountain and live through it, and that is why OL never tried to break the V bottom record in public. But that is just my opinion from cyberspace FWIW, which I know isn't much
The boats have had the speed and handling, they haven't had the engines that would live. The west coast engines failed quickly, as did the Racecrafter engines. At the time, the engines were just not reliable at those power levels, they tried almost all the different mfg's. Now that Mercury has the 1650's, its a different game.

I've been in the SV43 more than most, I've personally been over 170mph in it with 2 laptops on my lap bouncing on the RPM limiter and that was 4 years ago. I've been over 150 more times than I can remember, I've never had a hint of a bobble or anything odd.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Why not use the sterlings ?? Those were the goto engine back then.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
The boats have had the speed and handling, they haven't had the engines that would live. The west coast engines failed quickly, as did the Racecrafter engines. At the time, the engines were just not reliable at those power levels, they tried almost all the different mfg's. Now that Mercury has the 1650's, its a different game.

I've been in the SV43 more than most, I've personally been over 170mph in it with 2 laptops on my lap bouncing on the RPM limiter and that was 4 years ago. I've been over 150 more times than I can remember, I've never had a hint of a bobble or anything odd.
Dustin,

Don't forget the 144 mph dog ride Jewel took in the SL 44 while you were tuning the engines. 2 laptops, a dog, an open cockpit stand up boat, still not a bobble
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Why not use turbines? It seems like these big 1800-1900hp engines don't even run long enough to dial it in......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.