Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions? >

Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions?

Notices

Budget boat for Lake Erie 22ft-29ft Suggestions?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
check your local credit unions. my first 2 boats i got 3.9%. payment was peanuts. not saying spend 100k but in my opinion if you pony up a little more now you will be much happier in the long run. personally i would definately buy a twin engine boat if your gonna be running big water. something breaks you always get home. made that mistake with my first boat. the more fun your having smashing waves you will forget about your sportbike. if you pull up to the lake and see 4 footers in a 24 baja..... your gonna go home and get on your sportbike. wanna see what its like before you buy one?? hop on a old ass riding lawnmower and drive it across a farmers plowed up field.
hmm... how does the loan work for boats? Do you have to buy a certain year? How many years did you get your loan for? I am getting a settlement check from the accident cause someone crashed in front of me so I should get that within a year or two I could pay the loan of early.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

well say on a 25k loan. if you have 10k down your gonna finance 15k. i did mine for 15k for 5 years @3.9% and my payment was somewhere around 340 a month. my boats were a 96 and then a 94. there wasnt a certain year requirement at all. the bank just wanted to know a value of the boat. pantera didnt have a NADA value so i had to get a appraisal done on them. wasnt a big deal. called the factory and said whats a 94 pantera worth? Jo wrote me a letter for my bank and got the loan the next day. it was very easy. give dale a call (bigboat28) with the yellow pantera and go take a look at it. he isnt far from you. he has a beautiful boat with a bullet proof drivetrain that eats up rough water. feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any more questions
Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nate2587
I am not buying a boat this time unless we take it for a cruise first. I made that mistake on my first boat
Agreed, don't buy anything unless you take a ride first. You gonna spend 8 - 10K, I few hundred bucks for a sea trial (wherever) would be well worth it. I would avoid any older boat that's been in the winter environment with a plague. (Anything older then a warranty would cover and that's pretty much out of your budget) You have and get more issues with "winterized boats" that you can dream of, I know... I used to live in Chicago.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
yes, the bigger the better, I amtelling you that in most boats under 30 foot you will get your ass handed to you on average weekend, unless you spend more money.... 28 Cig, 28 Pantera, 30 Scarab Panther, 28 Apache, 28 Saber, about the only boats under 30 foot that wont beat the fuk out of you... but gotta spend more money... you buy a 25Baja, 272 Formula, 26 Checkmate you will not boat very much unless you want to get beat up...
I agree to a certain extent, especially if your plan is to go out and tear the lake up. But, if you are looking to stay comfortable when the lake kicks up, there are plenty of boats that can do that.

There are SO many variable that some into play when making this decision, there's no "one size fits all".
Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

What kind of boating do you do? Are you out to crush waves or are you a smart boater that knows when it kicks up you have to drive the boat you own accordingly so you don't kill it?
On a budget of 10-15k you are going to want to be the latter of the two described...and there's nothing wrong with that.
That said you can do alot of boating on Lake Erie especially out of Toledo(predominant sw wind) with a Formula 272 SR1. The older SR1 is better balanced than the newer Bravo Formulas that have a tendancy to porpous, they are twin smallblock Alphas which are much easier on the wallet if you have a failure of some kind, and will top out at 60 mph. All this for the insurance of having a twin engine boat that is relatively easy on fuel if driven with respect. I have a buddy that has one that crosses Lake Erie more than any other boat on the Lake, it always get him where he wants to go... albeit maybe not at 60 mph jumping from one wave to the next...

Yes they are an older boat 85-87 vintage but if the previous owners have taken care of them they are a very solid boat -- maybe more so than a newer other brand...
Not sure if i would worry about a boat that has been winterized -- if wasn't done right it will be leaking. I would prefer a fresh water unit that has been taken care of.

They are out there in your budget, and sell well if and when you want to move up or out. Another buddy had a 242 with the mag and bravo, great boat did what it was supposed to and looked good doing it-- there was a really nice one on Kelley's for sale last fall-- but i would still rather have the extra engine.
A BBC with ssm's is a great setup -- i have learned that stock is cheaper to run when run within its limits.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Registered

I don't think there has been a <$15K boat mentioned that you will be comfy running in a Lake Erie 4 foot chop. That does not mean you cannot boat the area when the wind kicks up. Just don't plan on running to PIB @ WOT in those waves, it ain't gonna happen!!! Plenty of places to hang out, depending on wind direction, near the OH/Mi line (Ottawa River or WoodTick Peninsula... Maumee Bay State Park or Little Cedar Point) Hell if it's real bad on the Lake and Bay..... run up the Maumee River..... quite a few places to beach the boat with others.

You can have a ball on a $5K - $15K boat in that area...... simply enjoy the capabilities of YOUR boat. Just as the BIG BOY boats can go places and do things you will not be able to do...... you will go places and do things that the BIG BOY boats can't.

If you can get on the water with something......DO IT!!!! You WILL make do with what you have and will learn what is really important to your boating NEEDS and what are NOT important boating WANTS.

Good Luck getting on the water.

Last edited by mosi; 02-18-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol
What kind of boating do you do? Are you out to crush waves or are you a smart boater that knows when it kicks up you have to drive the boat you own accordingly so you don't kill it?
On a budget of 10-15k you are going to want to be the latter of the two described...and there's nothing wrong with that.
That said you can do alot of boating on Lake Erie especially out of Toledo(predominant sw wind) with a Formula 272 SR1. The older SR1 is better balanced than the newer Bravo Formulas that have a tendancy to porpous, they are twin smallblock Alphas which are much easier on the wallet if you have a failure of some kind, and will top out at 60 mph. All this for the insurance of having a twin engine boat that is relatively easy on fuel if driven with respect. I have a buddy that has one that crosses Lake Erie more than any other boat on the Lake, it always get him where he wants to go... albeit maybe not at 60 mph jumping from one wave to the next...

Yes they are an older boat 85-87 vintage but if the previous owners have taken care of them they are a very solid boat -- maybe more so than a newer other brand...
Not sure if i would worry about a boat that has been winterized -- if wasn't done right it will be leaking. I would prefer a fresh water unit that has been taken care of.

They are out there in your budget, and sell well if and when you want to move up or out. Another buddy had a 242 with the mag and bravo, great boat did what it was supposed to and looked good doing it-- there was a really nice one on Kelley's for sale last fall-- but i would still rather have the extra engine.
A BBC with ssm's is a great setup -- i have learned that stock is cheaper to run when run within its limits.

Good Luck in your search.
Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by mosi
I don't think there has been a <$15K boat mentioned that you will be comfy running in a Lake Erie 4 foot chop. That does not mean you cannot boat the area when the wind kicks up. Just don't plan on running to PIB @ WOT in those waves, it ain't gonna happen!!! Plenty of places to hang out near shore at the OH/Mi line (Ottawa River or WoodTick Peninsula) or run up the Maumee River..... quite a few places to beach the boat with others.

You can have a ball on a $5K - $15K boat in that area...... simply enjoy the capabilities of YOUR boat. Just as the BIG BOY boats can go places and do things you will not be able to do...... you will go places and do things that the BIG BOY boats can't.

If you can get on the water with something......DO IT!!!! You WILL make do with what you have and will learn what is really important to your boating NEEDS and what are NOT important boating WANTS.

Good Luck getting on the water.
I was thinking about going with the rack n launch out of toledo beach marina. Most of the time I will be cruising to Woodtick or Hot Hole. Toledo Beach is in between these two places so it will be a small cruise. PIB will be on my list probably 4-5 times this summer. Other then that probably just go out on a cruise and enjoy the weather.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/4306277399.html
Old 02-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 1985 cobalt 28' cuddy cabin cigarette style boat for sale or trade, This is a nice clean boat with nice interior and has the hydraulic engine hatch, It has twin 480 horse 383 sbc engines with aluminum heads, The trailer was custom made for the boat and built right, $15,000 or trade for ?, no bikes, Thanks, I don't need no help selling this, NO SPAMMERS, (417)259-3185

the best line in the whole ad
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Another question I have too is why does bottom paint take away from boat value

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.