Notices

Acceleration

Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember my first run in with a nitro car. I was sitting in the staging lane with a trans am I had, but they stopped us all to let a nitro dragster move ahead. I rolled my windows part way down because I was positive that the vibration was going to shatter them. Everything shook. Granted I was sitting about 40ft back of the car, so fairly close.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the video those stats were taken from, very interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VF0JwxQqcA
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

No GPS or Heated seat? What a piece of crap!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Just awesome, I need to get to a race.

PS- most impressive thing I've ever seen is at an air show, when the F18 does a high speed pass not that high up, and it's coming at you right at the sound barrier an it is dead SILENT, until it gets to you, oh man now that's awesome. And it's got another 600+ mph to go! Lol
Those jets are impressive, but anyone who's ever been within half a mile of a top fueler lighting up never forgets it. Brute force.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spring Nationals in Houston are coming up, I try to make it every year for at least one day. I stay with a family that has been there every year since the first one. Addictive stuff.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok big deal

But can they back a boat up at a launch- with everyone watching?

This really was a great article

3pointstar
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Registered

Just awesome, I need to get to a race.

PS- most impressive thing I've ever seen is at an air show, when the F18 does a high speed pass not that high up, and it's coming at you right at the sound barrier an it is dead SILENT, until it gets to you, oh man now that's awesome. And it's got another 600+ mph to go! Lol
Did you know you can spot that fighter damn near a second from a steam powered catapult on an aircraft carrier with dual full afterburners and the TF dragster will beat him in the same distance and that if you walk down to the finish lights that the dragsters pass you at top speed that the sound follows a second or two after the car passes you just like the planes do.
It's always AWESOME!!!

Originally Posted by Sutphen606
The 337 mph being referenced is the old quarter mile record. The new record for mph in the 1000 ft era is 332.18. The 3.70 is the correct ET time for the 1000 ft era.
You cant help but love the sound and speed of these wicked cars. Now in the pits for their warming of the blocks start up be prepared with ear protection and get ready for the unburned fumes of the fuel mix to water your eyes and clear out your sinus's
Most people have no idea of just how awesome these tuners really are.
In spite of raising their rearend ratio to lower number, cutting back on the pop (nitromethane) and shortening the track length 25 percent these men have almost gotten the trap speeds they had before.
We NEVER miss the local NHRA nationals in Dallas and Houston and used to always go the the Nat's in Baton Rouge too.
People that Baton Rouge facility was an intense track for the drivers as the speeds went way up and the elapsed times went way down.
The sport has come a long way since Big Daddy and Shirley were running at Houston Int'l and and State Capitol Dragways many decades ago.
All of our newer dragways are much safer than these were.

If you ever get a chance to go to a National don't miss the opportunity.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Here you go boys,

Not quite as fast but take a ride with my buddy in his nitro funny car, to bad they don't have the cubic money it takes to make all the events. You'll see many local racers competing against the sponsored teams that chase the points circuit nationally. Seldomly do they win a Wally but at many events they help fill the field of competitors to make the eliminations possible on Sunday.
You want a real good time go on Friday evening, hopefully before time change and catch them running after dark, it's UNREAL !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JhxkG7AxcA
See ya,
Kelly

Plug in Kenny Hubbard into you tube search and check out some of his new and old race car videos.
Look for the no wheely bars 8.1/2" tires Nova and the old supercharged alcohol Monte Carlo riding on a modified factory frame in the "run what you brung class" 1/8th mile races.
In one race he carried the wheely on the Nove all the way to the finish and got the win light

Last edited by huskyrider; 02-19-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: lil plug for my bud
Old 02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
Did you know you can spot that fighter damn near a second from a steam powered catapult on an aircraft carrier with dual full afterburners and the TF dragster will beat him in the same distance and that if you walk down to the finish lights that the dragsters pass you at top speed that the sound follows a second or two after the car passes you just like the planes do.
It's always AWESOME!!!

You cant help but love the sound and speed of these wicked cars. Now in the pits for their warming of the blocks start up be prepared with ear protection and get ready for the unburned fumes of the fuel mix to water your eyes and clear out your sinus's
Most people have no idea of just how awesome these tuners really are.
In spite of raising their rearend ratio to lower number, cutting back on the pop (nitromethane) and shortening the track length 25 percent these men have almost gotten the trap speeds they had before.
We NEVER miss the local NHRA nationals in Dallas and Houston and used to always go the the Nat's in Baton Rouge too.
People that Baton Rouge facility was an intense track for the drivers as the speeds went way up and the elapsed times went way down.
The sport has come a long way since Big Daddy and Shirley were running at Houston Int'l and and State Capitol Dragways many decades ago.
All of our newer dragways are much safer than these were.

If you ever get a chance to go to a National don't miss the opportunity.

See ya,
Kelly
Well the plane is much farther away up in the air and 600 mph is double the TF and only HALF the capability of the jet.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Registered

Well the plane is much farther away up in the air and 600 mph is double the TF and only HALF the capability of the jet.
I LOVE going to the airshow at Ellington AFB every year too!!!

Now If I could just figure out how to purchase a ride in 1 of those birds I'd glady pay in full and give the pilot an awesome tip for the ride, LOL!!!

See ya,
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.