Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
thinking about moving south.. whos got the best boating?? >

thinking about moving south.. whos got the best boating??

Notices

thinking about moving south.. whos got the best boating??

Old 02-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is cape coral a flood area? Theres so many canals and it looks like the elevation is really low. Im only up about 20ft here in mastic beach but its enough when hurricanes come.

Cape coral area does look like a big high performance boating area! The layout looks awesome. How calm does the gulf get?.. I know any area can become rough
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

The norm for the GOM is 2-3, which is nothing, it's actually calmer than LOTO on a Summer Saturday, that being said, it's like any ocean it can get rough out occasionally, we watch the news to get the weather report the day before we go out, they give a boating report every night with the wind and seas.
As far as the flood plain, the houses are like any other next to a ocean, there's some of them in the low areas that you should be concerned about and some that are OK, you've just have to know what and where to look for and a good relator should be able to help you with that, it's the best decision we've ever made buying and moving down here, good luck with your search.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info!!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm on a canal in the cape and have enough elevation that flood insurance was not required for my mortgage. Neighbor across the canal has been there 25 yrs and even I'm Charlie he said he didn't flood.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'm on a canal in the cape and have enough elevation that flood insurance was not required for my mortgage. Neighbor across the canal has been there 25 yrs and even I'm Charlie he said he didn't flood.
Good point Mike, a few of my neighbors have been here for over years too and none have seen the water from the canals in their pools or houses, the only damage around us from Charley (it was a cat 4 with 150mph winds in 2005) was the one neighbor across the canal lost his cage, I heard a few roofs were lost, but nothing major.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Registered

I have a home in the lower yacht club area of the cape. The area is great and plenty of destinations and things to do. In the lower cape the elevations are about 5 to 6 ft ASL. the further north you go in the cape the higher the elevation of the properties. I did require flood insurance, but I think most areas here do. It's a wonderful place, simple, friendly, and a great boating area. As for hurricanes !!! There is talk around the area from the locals that it is pretty protected. Word has it that one hurricane actually drew all the water out of the canals and actually emptied the river. Apparently you could walk across the Caloosahatchee river. Sounds crazy but heard from more then one. I'll take that any day.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ray pampena
Yes thats me.. id move the shop with me.

Yes florida is always tempting to me also. Im worried about it being too hot in the summer to where I wont want to do anything during the day. I need to spend some time there in the summer and see how I like it. You guys definitely have good boating. Any noise laws?
I lived on Lake Murray in SC for 28 years and loved it! I moved to Brickell Key (Miami) and truly love this place. Sitting on my balcony tonight I watched a big cat running across the bay at high speed and a 50 foot Cig idling bye. As far as hot SC is much hotter than Miami in the summer.
Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

How about the Charleston sc area??? My biggest issue is the Mrs. With her Multiple Sclerosis sometimes the heat can't make her goofy and the cold makes her feel like she has althritis? Can't win for loosing. But she prefers warmer weather the most. So we were thinking SC and I can boat. Few more months longer then in MD.

I just yelled to the wife about this post!^^^^^^ and she said well see we need to go there! Plus the orioles train there and we can still see them! It's a win win! Yes yes I know the O's stink sometimes or well all the time but it's our home team!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 02-23-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
How about the Charleston sc area??? My biggest issue is the Mrs. With her Multiple Sclerosis sometimes the heat can't make her goofy and the cold makes her feel like she has althritis? Can't win for loosing. But she prefers warmer weather the most. So we were thinking SC and I can boat. Few more months longer then in MD.

I just yelled to the wife about this post!^^^^^^ and she said well see we need to go there! Plus the orioles train there and we can still see them! It's a win win! Yes yes I know the O's stink sometimes or well all the time but it's our home team!
Yeah, but it gets cold there. It is still cold 3-4 months of the year. Go furthur south.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

I was looking at Charleston.. when comparing the size of the inner waterways of long island it looks kind of small. You guys know how much ground you cover in these boats. Id hate to feel like I have to run laps back and forth inside if the atlantic is too rough. Thats why I was thinking outer banks nc at first. After talking with you guys and looking at the maps.. the cape coral area has plenty of inside water to run.. and the gulf will probably be calm more days than the atlantic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.