Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/309745-securing-cockpit-cover-while-towing.html)

boatfreak 03-16-2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pwraddr (Post 4090809)
Thanks for the help. I see many places online sell it. Around 25 bucks for 4 inch by 180 ft.

PS. I really like Active Thunders!

Thanks and you know it's kind of funny that a some time ago when PQ came out with the 34 Vyper I fell in love with it but at the time I thought it was crazy money and there was no way I was ever going to spend that kind of money on a boat......Wow how times change.lol

nailit 03-16-2014 08:17 PM

When I bought my 25ol from Shogren, they had some white shipping tape looking stuff. Not sure if that's what y'all are calling shrink tape. We don't shrink wrap down here :-)

No issues towing 70mph all the way home ! 1000 miles.

Towing the 33ol back from Va, they didn't have tape and cover was off so I didn't put back on for ride.

Locally, we only tow for an hour or so, so I don't tow with cover for fear of damaging!

GO4BROKE 03-16-2014 08:20 PM

4" preservation tape works for me. Pretty much the same thing as shrink wrap tape.

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 4090817)
Thanks and you know it's kind of funny that a some time ago when PQ came out with the 34 Vyper I fell in love with it but at the time I thought it was crazy money and there was no way I was ever going to spend that kind of money on a boat......Wow how times change.lol

Yea, the PQ was my first boat ever, put 100 hours on it in 2 years. Took Tres Martin on it also.

Time to step up to something a bit bigger.

525 in yours? How fast with what props?

MarkDonzi 03-16-2014 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 4090786)
My friend towed all the way across the country one time zero problems, on the way back the cover came loose and the snaps beat the **** outta the paint.

My last boat the entire cockpit cover blew off after a few hours with zero problems.

Don't tow with the cover on unless your prepared to lose it or damage the boat, Or you have the cover specifically designed for towing, its new, and in great condition.

What he said!

Let's see, $25 for roll of tape, $4,000 for paint damage. Hmmmmm.....

Double Rigged 03-16-2014 08:37 PM

I tape the sides as well as the front anytime I tow on the highway above 60mph. Have towed thousands of miles no issues. White 4" shrink wrap tape takes the guess work out.

boatfreak 03-16-2014 08:41 PM

Mine has a pair of Eddie Young 572's making a tic over 700 HP. I've pulled 95 out of it but I know there is quite a bit more if I wanted to dig for it but I like it just the way it is. I would like to try a pair of shorties on it though.

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 4090838)
Mine has a pair of Eddie Young 572's making a tic over 700 HP. I've pulled 95 out of it but I know there is quite a bit more if I wanted to dig for it but I like it just the way it is. I would like to try a pair of shorties on it though.

Very nice! How does it ride at 95?

Drock78 03-16-2014 08:45 PM

Mikes boat is a BEAST Keith! Looks sweet and sounded snotty as hell at Boyne.

You should look into a 37 AT Keith...you might like it. Lol

stimleck 03-16-2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Double Rigged (Post 4090836)
I tape the sides as well as the front anytime I tow on the highway above 60mph. Have towed thousands of miles no issues. White 4" shrink wrap tape takes the guess work out.

can you guys be more specific? what and where do you tape?:helmet: