Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/309745-securing-cockpit-cover-while-towing.html)

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 06:54 PM

Securing Cockpit Cover While Towing

What do you use? I see people tape the cover to the boat but with what?

Wildman_grafix 03-16-2014 07:00 PM

Mines simple, make sure I secure all the snaps and the poll ups so the cover is tight

Have towed 1200 miles before like that no problem.

offshorexcursion 03-16-2014 07:25 PM

My friend towed all the way across the country one time zero problems, on the way back the cover came loose and the snaps beat the **** outta the paint.

My last boat the entire cockpit cover blew off after a few hours with zero problems.

Don't tow with the cover on unless your prepared to lose it or damage the boat, Or you have the cover specifically designed for towing, its new, and in great condition.

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 4090786)
My friend towed all the way across the country one time zero problems, on the way back the cover came loose and the snaps beat the **** outta the paint.

My last boat the entire cockpit cover blew off after a few hours with zero problems.

Don't tow with the cover on unless your prepared to lose it or damage the boat, Or you have the cover specifically designed for towing, its new, and in great condition.

These are the problems I'm afraid of. It is newer and in great shape.....BUT.

See ya at Boyne, slip 13. Let's grab a beer!

sonic700 03-16-2014 07:37 PM

We used shrink wrap tape a couple times and worked well. Just don't leave it on there for days

boatfreak 03-16-2014 07:38 PM

I always tow with mine and have never had a problem. I tape the front of mine for a long tow like Boyne or Florida but I've towed more times than I can count to Cumberland and that is a 4 hr tow without doing anything. If I know it will be a dry run I just tape with the blue painters tape but when I head to Florida I usually use a 4 inch shrink wrap tape. I don't know about other boats but with my A.T. even if I don't need the tape to keep the cover on it sure helps to keep the dead bugs out of the boat.

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 07:47 PM

Do I just tape it on right off the roll or is there anything else needed? Referring to the shrink wrap tape.

boatfreak 03-16-2014 07:58 PM

I just use 4 inch tape right off the role. I went to a small local guy the does winter wrap and bought a roll. The tape is pretty aggressive stuff so you don't want to leave it on when you get to where your going and be careful when you pull it off.

Pwraddr 03-16-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 4090805)
I just use 4 inch tape right off the role. I went to a small local guy the does winter wrap and bought a roll. The tape is pretty aggressive stuff so you don't want to leave it on when you get to where your going and be careful when you pull it off.

Thanks for the help. I see many places online sell it. Around 25 bucks for 4 inch by 180 ft.

PS. I really like Active Thunders!

sonic700 03-16-2014 08:04 PM

I agree with Boatfreak. You can buy it on amazon.com as well if you don't have anyone local