Oil change which pump too buy? >

Oil change which pump too buy?

Notices

Oil change which pump too buy?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change which pump too buy?

I went out tonight to change the oil in the motors and my and hand pump upright canister is junk. I would like to go to a electric one this time are they worth a hoot and which one and where?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Jabsco oil change pump setup. Has the reversible motor so once it sucks the oil out, I can just flip the switch and pump it out of the bucket into whatever Im using for disposal. It'll suck the oil out of the motor in under 30 seconds!

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...9116&id=122092
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My Buddy has the one from west marine, it pumps In/Out. Has 5 Gal Bucket. seems pretty good to me (Except you usually Get Reamed at west marine)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a jabsco 5 gal bucket changer & it is always a pain trying to set it somewhere steady so I got a newer jabsco that is like a sealed gas jug, it sets in tighter spaces, doesn't leak, & will hold all the oil from both 10 qt pans in 1 shot. Bought it at Amazon. Randy
Old 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Randy is the lay down model just as good for sucking oil out as the 5 gallon bucket unit from Jabsco ? I have used the 5 gal one for many years and hundred of hundreds of oil changes. I have never had a problem with that 5 gallon Jabsco unit, just changed the fuse twice and using a new impeller for it about every year to year and half.

Also the trick to make the 5 gallon bucket stable is set in a square box that just fits the bucket and you can push the drain hose down in the side of box upright so it does not drain the used oil all over the place. I learned my lesson about 20 years ago put that damn bucket in a square box.

Last edited by BUP; 03-20-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nova26
I went out tonight to change the oil in the motors and my and hand pump upright canister is junk. I would like to go to a electric one this time are they worth a hoot and which one and where?
Did you get the oil hot? Very important for canister to work!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I have an electric JabsCo That I Was Going To Put On Craigslist This Weekend. My motor is out so I'm adding the drain hose kit. If you're interested PM me. It's only been used twice.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Randy, I know this isn't the "pump method" but if you could get to the drain plugs I've installed a couple of those drain hoses that simply come out of the bilge drain plug. I can get the oil as hot as heck and then drain into a bucket. It is really slick and I know I'm getting a good drain.

3pointstar
Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I have the Jabsco oil change pump setup. Has the reversible motor so once it sucks the oil out, I can just flip the switch and pump it out of the bucket into whatever Im using for disposal. It'll suck the oil out of the motor in under 30 seconds!

I have the same one.. Works exactly as US1 Fountain described. Run the engine for 10-15 minutes and get the oil warm and it comes right out.. I added a 1/4" NPT x 1/2 hose barb fitting to the end so I can attach to my engine drain hoses.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain

Simply the best unit out there ... Just don't bump switch in reverse on accident and think your going to plug it with your thumb I wont go into details ! LOL Yes sucks out under 30 sec.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.