Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What makes apache and a few others excel in rough water? >

What makes apache and a few others excel in rough water?

Notices

What makes apache and a few others excel in rough water?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What makes apache and a few others excel in rough water?

Many treads discuss offshore handling of boats like apache's and a few others.

So what is it? Is it just lay up (strength) and weight? This is not a sh$t stirring thread ;-)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

There are 3 things that make a V-bottom better in rough water: length, weight, and deadrise. The more, the better.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMDgKQOiXpA
Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

when a performance boat is designed and built by a performance boater you will end up with a boat that performs . . . . when they are built by marketing . . . well . . . you get much of what we have today

personally I think it is a fine balance of everything. Design, material, COG placement, rigging, etc. all done through trial and error. me . . . . I like big heavy straight bottom boats.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 03-23-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Simple...voodoo magic.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Many treads discuss offshore handling of boats like apache's and a few others.

So what is it? Is it just lay up (strength) and weight? This is not a sh$t stirring thread ;-)
on the seventh day god got a hard on, so he built the apache 41
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lenght, strength, deadrise, weight.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
when a performance boat is designed and built by a performance boater you will end up with a boat that performs . . . . when they are built by marketing . . . well . . . you get much of what we have today

personally I think it is a fine balance of everything. Design, material, COG placement, rigging, etc. all done through trial and error. me . . . . I like big heavy straight bottom boats.
Well.. Hmm ... I never thought about cog, I guess that makes sense too. I have seen some impressive videos with apaches running in the rough. Not the kind of stuff the wife or kids would want to run hard in.. :-)

Thanks for replies... I think I got a lil sunburn as I cut the grass and watered it today.. Lol.. Thought I would throw that out there! Was in high 70's this weekend.. Ya'll can Keep your snow!

Last edited by nailit; 03-24-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Deadrise (and beam), Weight, engineered strength (just stiff doesn't mean strong), Length, Center of Gravity, Balance, staggered even helps in a couple ways. Most importantly BALLZ , SKILL, and deep pockets!

For some reason I always thought having a straight V all the way to the back of the boat helps to slice rough water, some boat manufactures still achieve good results with padded bottoms, notched transoms, and steps, but there is no real test data to prove anything just a lot of opinions.

Cool thread though!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Registered

Had always heard that pad bottoms, like Velocity, we're not good in rough water. Definitely like the efficiency, but those who actually own velocitys say it rides well.

I thought the same thing about straight bottoms, but I would probably have to say that they are more predictable and same rules apply as how to drive. No worries about spinning out!

Also agree about the ballz!! I haven't been out in anything above 2s in the 33ol, but tried running over 50 in the 25ol in 3-4s and it did smooth out a little but had to hold on and catch a big roller and it hit a lil harder! Tiring to do that for long distances. Good ab workout too.

Also been out in 6ft swells and 35-40mph was perfect, jumping in and out of troughs , you couldn't see above next wave and had to try running the troughs, that was nutz!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.