Notices

Reggie speaks out

Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think you guys are missing the point.....OL is constantly changing, Fountain was not. It is hard to sell a guy the same boat he already has but make changes and make the guy want the new boat, just like any successful manufacturer does.....cars/bikes/computers/tvs....whatever. Reggie had a winner with the 42 hull, absolutely from the sales floor to the race course....no argument but better hulls have been introduced and without evolving you get left behind.

Cig still makes a 38TG but when have you seen a new one lately? I remember the electric boat, but can't think of the last new TG I have seen. They are killing it with those 42 Huntresses and the CC line......evolving. Reggie had a good line of CC's, the 38 TE being my favorite but boats like the 38 cruiser/fish idea were awful, the EC/Fish package was even worse! Reggie got caught trying to make 30+ different styles of boats from the 27 to the 48, go fast/cruiser/fish/ or combos of both. Dealers were sweating stocking all this stuff (and paying the vig on the floorplan) as the market was drying up.

Current management is trying to figure out what to do with all these boats/lines/brands.....but without Reggie I suspect no one will be in line to buy a 42 dating to 1995 and even if Reggie was pressing palms in the sales booth I suspect it would be a very short line. Shogren was the biggest Fountain dealer in America at one time, could you see him ordering 5-10 new Fountains today? A 42/700 boat would have to be 600K+ yet you can buy 3 used ones at that price right now and have the identical boat! Factor in an OL 44/700 boat would be 10-15 mph faster and that demand for the Fountain would really dwindle.

BTW this was the baddest 42 ever made in my opinion: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o56827-en.html But that boat today would be 800K++++ which is insanity.

I disagree Reggie was always tweaking the hull. Adding more steps or making them bigger. To say he was just punching out the same old mold is inaccurate. Was he updating the top side or selling better clothing like his competitor ...No....he has and had speed running through his veins. Some things will never change
Old 05-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think you guys are missing the point.....OL is constantly changing, Fountain was not. It is hard to sell a guy the same boat he already has but make changes and make the guy want the new boat, just like any successful manufacturer does.....cars/bikes/computers/tvs....whatever. Reggie had a winner with the 42 hull, absolutely from the sales floor to the race course....no argument but better hulls have been introduced and without evolving you get left behind.

Cig still makes a 38TG but when have you seen a new one lately? I remember the electric boat, but can't think of the last new TG I have seen. They are killing it with those 42 Huntresses and the CC line......evolving. Reggie had a good line of CC's, the 38 TE being my favorite but boats like the 38 cruiser/fish idea were awful, the EC/Fish package was even worse! Reggie got caught trying to make 30+ different styles of boats from the 27 to the 48, go fast/cruiser/fish/ or combos of both. Dealers were sweating stocking all this stuff (and paying the vig on the floorplan) as the market was drying up.

Current management is trying to figure out what to do with all these boats/lines/brands.....but without Reggie I suspect no one will be in line to buy a 42 dating to 1995 and even if Reggie was pressing palms in the sales booth I suspect it would be a very short line. Shogren was the biggest Fountain dealer in America at one time, could you see him ordering 5-10 new Fountains today? A 42/700 boat would have to be 600K+ yet you can buy 3 used ones at that price right now and have the identical boat! Factor in an OL 44/700 boat would be 10-15 mph faster and that demand for the Fountain would really dwindle.

BTW this was the baddest 42 ever made in my opinion: http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o56827-en.html But that boat today would be 800K++++ which is insanity.
Wait... my 09 42 fountain with stock 700's does 105mph, and your sayin a 44 OL with the same power does 115-120mph??

What does a new 44OL cost with 700's, I bet close to 500-600k

I agree with you that OL has made significant changes to there line , for the better
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjablonski
Wait... my 09 42 fountain with stock 700's does 105mph, and your sayin a 44 OL with the same power does 115-120mph??

What does a new 44OL cost with 700's, I bet close to 500-600k

I agree with you that OL has made significant changes to there line , for the better
You take your boat to Reggie III and it will be running 115 plus forget about the OL guys
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Reggie's a cool cat.

I think he looks great with grey hair too. I hope he never takes off the Gold Saw Blade chain

Last edited by WeaponX; 05-04-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

This is really amazing. OL quietly brings a boat to NC to break a record and does so. No real fanfare, no marketing hype afterwords, no 12 pages of ads in magazines proclaiming the ultimate accomplishment of mankind, and all people here do is yak about Reggie.

Gotta tell ya fellas, I'll never own either boat for various reasons but this whole episode has really turned me off to the Fountain brand. I've never seen a more a more puny minded bunch of groupies over a product ever.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Reggie does look good. He did a lot for the sport and now deserves to enjoy a nice retirement. Outerlimits is the new Fountain. Mike is the new Reggie. JMO.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
This is really amazing. OL quietly brings a boat to NC to break a record and does so. No real fanfare, no marketing hype afterwords, no 12 pages of ads in magazines proclaiming the ultimate accomplishment of mankind, and all people here do is yak about Reggie.

Gotta tell ya fellas, I'll never own either boat for various reasons but this whole episode has really turned me off to the Fountain brand. I've never seen a more a more puny minded bunch of groupies over a product ever.
maybe you should go back and reread the thread,,
All the Fountain guys are doing is defending the brand they love against the haters..

as far as you buying a Fountain,when the time comes for you to buy a boat you have every right to buy what ever you want...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy

Puny minded... I like that one, thanks man!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Puny minded... I like that one, thanks man!
You gotta admit, some of the posts since OL went fast are sour grapes. I don't get it. It's a heck of an accomplishment just as Reggie's was, big fuss was made out of Reggie's record but there's pretty much crickets and sour grapes over this one. Reggie's run was balls out thrilling, this one too, they should both be celebrated IMO.

In the end though, I guess I'm not crazy about top speed records for offshore boats, seems better suited for river and lake runners. I'm more interested in how a boat performs in tough conditions; how it holds together, how it handles chop, its stability and ability to hold speed in conditions that keep many boats in the harbor. Maybe my view is a bit different since I don't boat in a lake or river, but I don't think either Fountain, OL, or any other brand is going to be running those crazy speeds in tough conditions.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
maybe you should go back and reread the thread,,
All the Fountain guys are doing is defending the brand they love against the haters..

as far as you buying a Fountain,when the time comes for you to buy a boat you have every right to buy what ever you want...
Threads plural, it's all over the board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.