Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Biscayne Bay Accident news... >

Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Notices

Biscayne Bay Accident news...

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford a boat with quads you can afford a Sea Tow membership for $189/yr including trailer help… cash in a bottle of vodka and lunch and get a membership...
A sad story for sure and could happen in seconds without the owner even knowing and why the guy in control of the key (hopefully the owner) has the control to prevent these things because stupidity and lawsuits happen. Did they check the Blood Alcohol Level of the poor guy who didn’t make it?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BocaVice
If you can afford a boat with quads you can afford a Sea Tow membership for $189/yr including trailer help… cash in a bottle of vodka and lunch and get a membership...
A sad story for sure and could happen in seconds without the owner even knowing and why the guy in control of the key (hopefully the owner) has the control to prevent these things because stupidity and lawsuits happen. Did they check the Blood Alcohol Level of the poor guy who didn’t make it?
That doesn't matter. It's the driver of the boat who had better hope his alcohol test was zero. Also, he didn't need sea tow. The article said high tide was due at 1:30 AM so worst case, if another boat couldn't pull him off the sand, was to turn on the lights, drop anchor and hang out or take a nap in the cabin.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 05-07-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06...ving-radio-dj/.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would try to push a boat that is running and in gear.

Or the operator letting people do that,,,
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

They are both at fault. The boats driver should have been aware of what was happening all the way around his boat. Stern, Bow, Port, Starboard... and the IDIOT that was pushing on the back next to the spinning wheel of death should have had the common sense to get away.

The guy with the throttle in his had should be treated just like a guy that accidentally shoots somebody. The guy that is dead, well, that was not smart, and it cost him everything.

A lot of people think that just because it floats, it's a toy. It's this attitude that costs people there lives every year in boating. From the dude on a $10,000.00 jet ski that runs up the back of his buddy and kills him, to the guy that's splitting spectators at 150 mph in a half million dollar cat, and somebody dies, to this type of a situation.. It's all a lack of respect for the equipment and the situation.

Tom
Old 05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would try to push a boat that is running and in gear.

Or the operator letting people do that,,,
I think this boils down to experience...a lack of it. Those of us who've been boating for a looong time are used to situations where your adrenaline is amped up. It doesn't happen often but when it does you're able to think clearer as a result of experience. Take this DJ dude, I don't know the how many years he's been doing this but he runs this beautiful boat that costs hundreds of thousands up on a sand bar, he's embarrassed and confused, there's tons of people around looking at him, he tries to get it unstuck to no avail, now everyone's looking and he's in the thick of it, people come over to help and he figures it's worth a shot and nothing bad is going to happen and bingo.

There's no malicious intent here, just a person who's not thinking of options, not thinking of outcomes, maybe he's never been in a boating situation where it gets his heartbeat up (just guessing). Most of us with experience would think tide or towing, but not manpower. Very sad for sure. Educational opportunity yes, but in what manner are things like this and others taught?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I think this boils down to experience...a lack of it. Those of us who've been boating for a looong time are used to situations where your adrenaline is amped up. It doesn't happen often but when it does you're able to think clearer as a result of experience
This is it exactly. I do not know why we cannot get a boat license program like we do for cars. It would be some exposure to boating drivers ed. Can you imagine the roadways if the video gamed teenagers of today were thrown the car keys and a bottle of whiskey and say "Have at it!" if there was not their driving priviledge to be lost? Its bad enough as is.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I think this boils down to experience...a lack of it. Those of us who've been boating for a looong time are used to situations where your adrenaline is amped up. It doesn't happen often but when it does you're able to think clearer as a result of experience. Take this DJ dude, I don't know the how many years he's been doing this but he runs this beautiful boat that costs hundreds of thousands up on a sand bar, he's embarrassed and confused, there's tons of people around looking at him, he tries to get it unstuck to no avail, now everyone's looking and he's in the thick of it, people come over to help and he figures it's worth a shot and nothing bad is going to happen and bingo.

There's no malicious intent here, just a person who's not thinking of options, not thinking of outcomes, maybe he's never been in a boating situation where it gets his heartbeat up (just guessing). Most of us with experience would think tide or towing, but not manpower. Very sad for sure. Educational opportunity yes, but in what manner are things like this and others taught?
In life, not just in boating, you have the chance to learn from those with more experience and better judgement. I find it so hard to fathom that there is no requirement to understand a boat before you blast off in something that can do so much damage. No license, no education, no nothing. Just a checkbook and a lack of common sense. (This is reflected in our insurance premiums) But the smart ones find someone to teach and lead them. Someone who doesn't have an ego problem will understand the capability of this new "toy" and seek out someone to tell them how to get the most fun out of it, without bending it (or worse). I don't expect the President to know everything, but I expect him to surround himself with people that do and the intelligence to know when to take their advise over his own ideas.

Same with this driver. If it all happened the way it appears to have happened, then the first error was the driver either not getting the instruction, or not listening to the advise of his teachers. Here is the first and most important lesson to be learned from this. If his teacher was anything like mine, he would have told him the value of SeaTow/Vessel Assist. He would have told him to keep people away from the back 1/2 of the boat with the engines running, and if you can 't do that, shut-'r-down. Heck, he might have learned how NOT to get your boat stuck in the first place. He would have been taught how NOT to let this happen.

My boat won't do 100. But I still practice what I preach, with every new boat I get.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DJ Laz is a FUKEN DUMB ASS that was showing off to draw a crowd by shooting the roaster tail. His dumb ass has had boats for years. He's not new to boating as he's best friend with Elias which is the owner of the 47 Apache " Spirt of Apache". If you look closely at the Hydrosport, you'll will see that it says "Plantation Boatmart" on the upper side of the deck. They are neighbors in the keys and i always see them in Bimini.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very sad and unfortunate. This type of thing hurts all of us. Insurance rates go up, sponsorships go down. When we take the wheel of a boat we are solely responsible for what happens. We have the responsibility to not get the boat stuck, and make sure of the safety for all that are around. Even at anchor, I am constantly making sure no one gets near my props. That is a haunting picture of the boat with the roostertail, all those people pushing, and the beer that is sitting on the deck near the side opening.
Condolences to the family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.