3 Bearings, 72 hours, No Joke!!!

Notices

3 Bearings, 72 hours, No Joke!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
I'm stuck in a time warp here.....

I got the impression you were asking about HPF on the ac.....so.....

HPF can only be traced back to three potential culprits:
High pressure refrigerant sensor
Too much heat from low cooling (water flow) at the compressor
Faulty control panel

First check point is water circulation. Easiest to check and rule out. On all of my boats, I use a check valve prior to the pump to prevent an airlock when I return the boat to the water.

Second is the HPS. If you jump the wires (not disconnect) and the ac. Continues to function (after ruling out water flow) then the sensor is the issue.

If these do nothing, then the problem is significantly more expensive.
Yes, I still need that issue resolved. If the HPF sensor kicks on because of heat, wouldn't the system start back up after it cools? We tried it a day later and it went straight to HPF, thats why I think it is the sensor. Not sure where it is or how to replace it.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

s022mag; I saw you out on Buckeye Lake Sunday. Good looking Donzi, especially running in that washing machine wake pool.

I've found parts on a boat trailer need to be checked more than a boat itself most of the time. Even then, stuff breaks for no good reason. Last month before heading to FL I checked and repacked all my wheel bearings. Then took a 20 mile test run to check for heat issues. Everything looked fine, until I left the next day and stopped to spay off the truck just 15 miles from home. Saw grease on a wheel and thought it came from a bearing buddy cap. Nope, the freaking hub had cracked in half between inner and outer bearing races...

Pulled into local parts store and tore it apart. Mine uses the 5-lug Kodiak disk bake setup, and we searched the boxes for a possible rotor/hub match to no avail. It was a Sunday evening, so I dropped the trailer and drove 35 miles to a guys shop I know who has hundreds of utility trailers and parts. Luckily he was home, but didn't have disk brake hub either. What he did have was a pile of new blank "take off" hubs from doing 5 to 8 lug conversions. $25 for one ready to bolt on with bearings and seal installed. Had to fab a wedge for the caliper to keep it from blowing the piston out, but she made it 2200 miles without further trouble. Finally received the new rotor/hub last week. But I'll keep that handy $25 hub assembly in the tool box for a road side hot spare, just in case...
Old 05-29-2014, 02:18 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Once you start having bearing issues its hard to get rid of them. The spindles could be damaged along with the races inside the hub. Don't pump grease into them in the future and expect them to last. All you will do is blow the seals out. Nothing beats taking them apart, cleaning, inspecting, and repacking. Once a year is smart but If I was you I would re do the entire trailer after the next few hauls to see if there are still problems. My guess is the bearing issues are not going to stop. Something about all that heat when they do go warps the hubs also and it just seems like a axle with a bad bearing is never the same again...........

Good luck
Old 05-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Can somebody throw up some basic trailer maintenance ground rules? I understand salt vs. fresh and amount of times into the water have a big factor. Seems like you guys are replacing bearings every 50 miles.... kidding.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone found one flavor of grease that works better than another?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Has anyone found one flavor of grease that works better than another?
Whole thread on it:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...ring-lube.html

Lucas and Mystik mentioned multiple times.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, Do Not Pack the whole Hub full of Grease, You only need the Cone assy full on the inboard & outboard ends of the hub, leave the center between the cones empty. if you fill that whole cavity you'll make a lot of heat, which will cause the seals to fail, which will allow grease out & water in. It's a fine art getting everything right
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Also, Do Not Pack the whole Hub full of Grease, You only need the Cone assy full on the inboard & outboard ends of the hub, leave the center between the cones empty. if you fill that whole cavity you'll make a lot of heat, which will cause the seals to fail, which will allow grease out & water in. It's a fine art getting everything right
I have found that to be opposite....and my spindles have fitting on the inside that pushes grease from back and out the front filling whole space up or it would not lube front bearing...
Old 05-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil bath hubs http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ailer+Hub+Kits
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put grease on everything I just don't cake it on. I've heard that too much will build up heat. The bearings assume build heat and the grease will probably expand so I would want there to be some room for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.