3 Bearings, 72 hours, No Joke!!! >

3 Bearings, 72 hours, No Joke!!!

Notices

3 Bearings, 72 hours, No Joke!!!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

yep, just did all 3 axles on my Myco with the EZ Lube hubs, great idea, no place for water to get in, I had my fair share of issues, the most recent was wrong inner seals....all fixed now...

Originally Posted by weldcrane
when ever i build a trailer i use dexter axles and spec them with ez lube spindles the spindle is drilled all the way to the area between the inner seal and the inner bearing so when you pump it with grease it has to go from the inner bearing and come all the way through the outer bearing the entire is filled with grease they use a double inner seal so the grease does not come out on your brakes i have been doing this for 25 years and have had good luck this way
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

This is a lesson to check your springs/spindle for wear where the axles meet them or where they are attached to the trailer. When they become loose or worn and when you are moving, they are shifting the angles of the axles, thus putting stress on the bearings and creating the problem.

Miss- alignment can take out bearings in a heartbeat.

Last edited by bajaholic; 06-11-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil seals I got through napa were different then e trailer. The napa ones cost me about 22 a piece and the e trailer around 10 bucks. Not sure what the difference is but the spindle diameter is 2.250. Since these spindles have the grease fitting right on the ends I'm going to pump them full before I head up north in a few weeks. And try to only make wide turns.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

As far as my AC goes I shorted out the leads to the HPF and the AC unit fired up. So Im going to get a new switch today and ask if I need to have a professional install if. Then take to the lake install my Y bow stop and make sure I got good water flow.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made up a trailer box for my trailers. I have 1 extra hub w/bearings made up for a quick change. a couple of springs, jack and grease. Since I pull a number of different trailers, I have it packed with different size bearings. Damn thing weighs about 100 lbs though, but I'll rather have it and not need it. I've even stopped and given people bearings on the side of the road.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Registered

I certainly hope you've solved your issues. I know exactly what you're going through. I've gone decent stretches without issues, but I have my hubs apart every year and typically replace bearings while I'm in there.

In my case, my 3 trailer axles combined rated for just enough to carry my boat. 3x 3500lb= 10,500lb - torsion axles. If you read into the specifications of the major axle brands (including dexter), triple torsions are not recommended.
For example:
-www.Dexteraxle.com: " CAUTION: Triple axle assemblies are NOT recommended for Torflex axles" This is specified on every page of their marine catalog showing their torsion axle combinations in the marine catalog.

In other catalogs, I've read that the triple axle application needs to have a 30%+ safety factor built in. In other words, I should be using 3x 5000 = 15,000 axles. There are a few reasons, the main one is on uneven surfaces, there is no link between axles (like a leaf spring) to span the load between axles... Not uncommon for one tire to dangle when going up a boat launch ramp. The bigger issue I've noticed is turning a triple torsion axle on a typical wide right turn. Not sure if you've ever watched your axles (specifically the back one) buckle when making a turn - a scary sight. Puts tons of pressure on the bearings in the thrust direction. The trailer basically pivots and side-scrubs the front and rear tires, I take the widest turns possible, exaggerating my turns when I can... they hold up well enough - but not an ideal situation.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Tibbstoy2
I certainly hope you've solved your issues. I know exactly what you're going through. I've gone decent stretches without issues, but I have my hubs apart every year and typically replace bearings while I'm in there.

In my case, my 3 trailer axles combined rated for just enough to carry my boat. 3x 3500lb= 10,500lb - torsion axles. If you read into the specifications of the major axle brands (including dexter), triple torsions are not recommended.
For example:
-www.Dexteraxle.com: " CAUTION: Triple axle assemblies are NOT recommended for Torflex axles" This is specified on every page of their marine catalog showing their torsion axle combinations in the marine catalog.

In other catalogs, I've read that the triple axle application needs to have a 30%+ safety factor built in. In other words, I should be using 3x 5000 = 15,000 axles. There are a few reasons, the main one is on uneven surfaces, there is no link between axles (like a leaf spring) to span the load between axles... Not uncommon for one tire to dangle when going up a boat launch ramp. The bigger issue I've noticed is turning a triple torsion axle on a typical wide right turn. Not sure if you've ever watched your axles (specifically the back one) buckle when making a turn - a scary sight. Puts tons of pressure on the bearings in the thrust direction. The trailer basically pivots and side-scrubs the front and rear tires, I take the widest turns possible, exaggerating my turns when I can... they hold up well enough - but not an ideal situation.
Axles are not terribly expensive. Have you looked into swapping to the bigger axles?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Registered

Sydwayz, Yes - I believe that's ultimately my solution - just a little fearful of getting torsion axles again - especially when the axle vendors are stating not to use them for triples... Mine is a South Florida Trailer. The trailer frame is very much up to the task for the boat.

On the higher end trailers you typically see (Myco or similar), are triple axle torsion systems most common with the 33/37 Active Thunders? I like torsion due to the lower ride height and they're quiet and simple. I just know from experience the bigger 5000 lb axle is an absolute must.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Tibbstoy2
Sydwayz, Yes - I believe that's ultimately my solution - just a little fearful of getting torsion axles again - especially when the axle vendors are stating not to use them for triples... Mine is a South Florida Trailer. The trailer frame is very much up to the task for the boat.

On the higher end trailers you typically see (Myco or similar), are triple axle torsion systems most common with the 33/37 Active Thunders? I like torsion due to the lower ride height and they're quiet and simple. I just know from experience the bigger 5000 lb axle is an absolute must.

My McClain (I-beam bolt) and Myco (aluminum welded) both have triple torsion. It's the norm for modern trailers; albeit there are plenty of leaf spring trailers out there: one normally only sees them on steel trailers.

There are at least three - 33AT's that I know of on TANDEM torsion welded aluminum trailers; built by both Myco and Manning. But I don't know how that would work on an I-beam bolted trailer.

I went through the mess with two bent axles on my 26' Sonic (tandem trailer) years ago. It was a Rocket trailer; a total POS. Total load was 7280 lbs. and it had twin 3500 lbs. axles. I ended up replacing both axles with 3500 lbs. axles again, but was very careful when I towed; and diligent about maintenance. I also made every effort to ensure they axles were aligned well. After I rebuilt the trailer, I sold the boat and it made the trek from VA to MT with no issues, and is still fine to this day AFAIK.

How far are you from Manning?
http://www.manningmarine.com/

I'd have him take a look at your setup if convenient. He may have some suggestions/options.

Also: http://www.phoenixtrail.com/ appears to be in East Jordan, Michigan. They build a lot of Sunsation trailers.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Finally done with my trailer. All greased up and ready to go. I'm planning on heading up to Erie this weekend so that will be a nice 90 mile trip to break them in.

Got the new AC high pressure switch installed and that's working now also. Next on the list is to remove to old tube TV and add a flat screen, change motor oil, and if I have time the stereo too. Need to be able to hook up my iPod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.