Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Marine engine shop dragging ass over insurnace repair.... I need advice! >

Marine engine shop dragging ass over insurnace repair.... I need advice!

Notices

Marine engine shop dragging ass over insurnace repair.... I need advice!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Marine engine shop dragging ass over insurnace repair.... I need advice!

The story starts as follows: While I had my Baja stored in heated indoor storeage over the winter, it was broken into, hatch damaged, and the carb, distributor, and FPR were stolen from off the Tyler Crockett engine I have in the boat. Thread all about it here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...oken-into.html

About January this year, after talking to people about who I should take boat for repairs to, I came up with a recommended shop. I called and told owner the story. I then called him again in late March and he said dont bring boat till late April due to possibly having to re-winterize engine due to temps and moving boat in and out.

I brought the boat to shop Good Friday, April 18

Come 1st or 2nd week of May, shop calls me and states there is corrsion in the engine (There was bleach poured all over engine after the theft), and engine will need a refresh. As of today, 5/30, he has not still given a written estimate to my insurnace! This Tyler Crockett engine needing a rebuild could potentially total my boat! ($1600 has already been paid out to fix my hatch by another shop).

I'll tell you what, this boat ran AWESOME before I put it away. Most of us engine guys know that a little rust on cylinder walls will not hurt anything!

What can I do here. I feel like the repair shop has my balls in a vice. For the past 2 weeks he states he's had it down to the short block. Insurnace states they need estimate to move forward. I want to be boating god damnit!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure iys your engihe?? and just to add who in the hell would poar bleach all over your boat after they steal your stuff...it all sounds fishy..
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I would have filled cylinders diesel or transmission fluid, waited a few days then rotated engine by hand, then gone on to startup and checked leakdown.

Sorry for your bad luck
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
are you sure iys your engihe?? and just to add who in the hell would poar bleach all over your boat after they steal your stuff...it all sounds fishy..
I'm guessing the bleach was used to remove finger prints or anything left behind. As for the mechanic, I would do a drive by and see what the progress is and have him put something in writing ASAP. I her lots of story's of people getting screwed money and time wise. Just remember squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered

How much do you owe the shop for the their work up to this point? Whatever it is, pay them and go pick up all of your stuff tomorrow and find another shop. If you are pissed about not having an estimate yet, you will be really pissed when August rolls around and he is still not even close to having your boat/motor back together!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JackLS1R1
...after talking to people about who I should take boat for repairs to, I came up with a recommended shop...
So during the Winter you knew that your Crockett Engine should be "looked over" and you did not bring it to Tyler? His shop is only about
30 miles away from you. I fear your Summer is done.

Who is this recommended shop that waits until the end of Spring to start an engine project?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
So during the Winter you knew that your Crockett Engine should be "looked over" and you did not bring it to Tyler? His shop is only about
30 miles away from you. I fear your Summer is done.

Who is this recommended shop that waits until the end of Spring to start an engine project?
+1
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

I thought all I was going to need was just a carb, distributor, and FPR.... Was hard to see the damage the bleach had done under the crappy warehouse lighting. It is now 7 weeks since this shop has had my boat.... No estimate to insurnace still! The damn guy that runs the shop does not come in untill 12:00 pm everyday! I dont want to throw name of shop under bus yet since he has all my ****. SOOO PISSED! If I would have knew engine would have needed to come apart, I would have went to Tyler
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you didn't take it to Damark did you? Cause this sounds very much like it to me...
Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

The acronym for the name of this shop is D.S.M...... I talked to insurnace about taking boat out of there and they said yeah, 7 weeks and no estimate he agrees... Then I asked who would pay for work shop did so far.... He said I would have to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.