Help!!!!!!! Need help on identifying carberator >

Help!!!!!!! Need help on identifying carberator

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1987 ski nautique with a 351 ford motor 5.8l. I am trying to identify the holley carberator on it so i can rebuild it. The idle is real rough and mostly won't idle at all. Being it a ski boat i need it to idle. Here is what i have found doing searches on my own. I went on the holley site and found a picture that matches my carb to a tee but identification numbers on carb don't match. The picture and literature says that i have a 600 cfm w/vacuum secondaries (4160) part# 0-80319-1 and need to buy a renew kit 703-47. I mean to tell you that the picture is identical to mine. But looking on the top of my carberator where the identification numbers are on the front of the carb in front of the choke plate my numbers are 75009-2 and below those numbers the other set of numbers is 0992. On the rear top of the carb there are numbers that say 6r.7072 b. None of these numbers come up in the holley site when i try to match them. My boat wouldn't even run as the intake screen was plugged white with ethanol. I used carb cleaner to clean the screen and also sprayed out the jets (8) of them four on each side by the venturi's and also remove the two needle valves on the front metering block and sprayed carb cleaner in them until they sprayed through where the venturi's are. Put it back together and now have top end with hardly any idle. It acts like it is starving for gas. Ieven hooked up a vacuum gauge and tried to dial the low speed needle jets in by bring the needle valves (2) all the way in until they lightly hit the seats and backed them out a turn and one half with no luck there either. So please i need help identifying this carb so i can rebuild it to get back to summer fun with the kids and hopely myself with a little slalom skiing. Marty
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should be a 4160, may want to pull front bowl and order parts ala cart .you will get the right power valve needle seat floats ect .make sure acc pump right size ,seen then with 30 and 50 cc be prepared to drop float level a bit for this new crud non carb friendly fuel
Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is a square bore without a secondary metering block it is a 4160. With secondary metering block, 4150. If it is a spread bore without secondary metering 4165, with, 4175. Just rebuilt a 4150 and the kit from NAPA was applicable to all 4, just had to find the right parts in the kit and throw the rest.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picture? Those don't sound like Holley numbers - number on choke horn should start out with "list".
Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Registered

DCB-Yes i did read read that in the holley forum but don't forget this is a marine application by ski nautique and they may of had holley build them carbs with out list numbers on the air horn. The picture is identical right down to where it says holley on the side of the carb and on the two float bowls. Marty

Last edited by pureanimal; 06-26-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

MR MAINE-No it does not have a secondary metering block. Marty

Last edited by pureanimal; 06-27-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I've done plenty of Holleys and especially BG carbs that where mostly full of the left over white granular jelly looking crud caused by E10 gas and water.

Can of carb clean doesn't always clean them enough as there are items inside the metering plates with many small holes....emulsion tubes.

Need to get a bucket of carb clean with the strainer in it and let the metal parts (no plastic, no rubber) sit in it for a good couple of hours and then everything needs to be blown out with a rubber tipped air blow gun from your compressor. Rubber tip is so you can put the blow gun against each hole and blow thru.

Last edited by SB; 06-26-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

SB- I will nstill need the rebuild kit before I take the carb apart or is there a chance that I can reuse the old gaskets? I don'\t really want to chance any leaks, so I still would need to get the rebuild kit. Marty

Last edited by pureanimal; 06-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by pureanimal View Post
SB- I will nstill need the rebuild kit before I take the carb apart or is there a chance that I can reuse the old gaskets? I don'\t really want to chance any leaks, so I still would need to get the rebuild kit. Marty
Not unless they are the reusable type, which most in person parts stores don't sell. The reusables are usually blue or red.

Tech tip, on normal gaskets to give you a chance of being re-usable, a light smear of chapstick. Old track tip. LOL.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Registered

I just went through the same rebuild. I have a 87 Ski Centurion with the same PCM 5.8 . The standard 4160 kit works perfect. There are lots of extra parts in it that won't fit, so it must be somewhat universal. You will almost certainly need the gaskets. They go to crap when trying to remove them. Also the big can of carb cleaner to soak the parts is pretty much a must. Then blow out any goo/crud after soak with compressed air to really clean the passages. I've owned this boat for years, and it seems that it needs a carb rebuild every 10 years or so. I'm guessing it's down to the ****ty fuel these days.

Darrell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.