Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Commentary: Center Console Futures >

Commentary: Center Console Futures

Notices

Commentary: Center Console Futures

Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to my insurance guy to get coverage of my cat, and out of curiosity asked about CCX costs.
To insure a new 42 MTI CCX with triple 557's (about the same cost new a my 48 cat), the insurance is roughly 1/3 the cost. Still wasn't cheap, but way cheaper.
The assumption is that generally this would be the case, of course depending on cat speed, etc.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

My insurance is around $2,000 a year. Pennies compared to most big cat insurance.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Again, I would not argue with you about severe contraction in the marketplace. I simply disagree with your statement that the market is "done," and I suspect Randy Scism of MTI, Mike Fiore of Outerlimits, Skip Braver of Cigarette, Erik Christiansen of Mercury Racing, Peter Hledin of Skater, the Schaldenbrands at Sunsation and a lot of others, who are all very candid and realistic about the marketplace (don't take my word for it, you can talk to all of them at the next Miami boat show) in terms of how small it's become, would disagree with your pronouncement as well. Yes, it's a lot harder. Yes, there are fewer buyers. But builders are still out there, producing great product that provide pleasure for those who can afford them, making a living providing a living for other people, though fewer than once were.

Only an idiot would argue that the market will ever return to former levels or anything close to them. But I would gently suggest that it is you who is "done" with the market, something I understand, and not the market itself that is done. It's just a whole lot smaller than it used to be, but frankly that just belabors the obvious.
It is just semantics at this point Matt.....on done vs. "severely contracted!"

But if you peruse this thread you will see a few responses like "next one will have OB's, this is my last I/O, anyone want to buy a ______"...obviously others are thinking the same thing. Builders like Nortech are probably 90% CC right now, they made the transition and certainly will build a go fast but without an order I don't see them stocking up on them.

For myself.....If I won the powerball, I still couldn't see ordering a new go fast at 500K+.....Sure consider a used one, then don't feel the obligation to use it since I don't have a kings ransom tied up in it. But the option of shade (me), enclosed head (for my daughters) and lack of resources spent (mechanic, mercruiser parts, insurance) would make the CC/OB option really really attractive which is why a lot of people are seeing the light and making the change.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
My insurance is around $2,000 a year. Pennies compared to most big cat insurance.
Wow......bring that triple engine CC to Florida and it would be 6K++++........they tend to disappear around here and end up stripped or used in a smuggling operation (people/drugs).
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Wow......bring that triple engine CC to Florida and it would be 6K++++........they tend to disappear around here and end up stripped or used in a smuggling operation (people/drugs).
You never fail to entertain. That's pretty funny.

As for your point on "semantics" ... hell, based your proclamation all go-fast boat builders should all just shut their doors now because it's "done." Yeah, I am pretty picky on wording, I'll admit. But I have to be.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Many and most have cabins these days, very large and plush ones at that.
Maybe if you hang with the big baller crowd they have big plush cabins but 95% of all the center consoles in Miami are 24-32ft and do not have a big plush cabin.. What we see on this board is far from being the average boat on the water..
Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Maybe if you hang with the big baller crowd they have big plush cabins but 95% of all the center consoles in Miami are 24-32ft and do not have a big plush cabin.. What we see on this board is far from being the average boat on the water..

A Scarab 30 sport has a very usable and fair sized cabin to a 30 closed boat with I/O's.

More than what is needed cause when you are speaking about boats like you are......most any type offers little.

My Sonic has a HUGE cabin......know what it does....stores beer
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
I am at $1900 with the Sonic and have to imagine I will shave $100/$200 a year with a slightly smaller CC that I am looking for.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nate that was a reply to my previous post where we used to refer to CCs as the pontoon boats of the ocean,one of the common elements being no cabin. It is not common to see one with a cabin again talking about the average joe CC not the quarter to half million dollar triple/quad engine monster.. The Scarab Sports and Scorpion CCs from the 80s are exception to that as many of them seem to have cabins.
Carrera made CCs from 24 to 36 from single to quad,,most sold boat of all? 27ft , no cabin with twins..Outsold the bigger 32/36 by a wide margin..Overall less ten percent of all the Carrera cc's had cabins.
Most were used like pontoon boats,,to carry lots of people and anchor up and party. and a few actually got fished from,LOL..

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
A Scarab 30 sport has a very usable and fair sized cabin to a 30 closed boat with I/O's.

More than what is needed cause when you are speaking about boats like you are......most any type offers little.

My Sonic has a HUGE cabin......know what it does....stores beer

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 07-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the CC interior design needs to be thought through more. It's getting there, but they are still based on a fisherman's boat layout. A few folks on here stated they tripped with 14 people in their boat, but I'm guessing most of them stood and awkwardly at that. I think once builders get out of the fisherman's design paradigm, it will morph into a really great design that holds a lot of people comfortably.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.