Notices

Power Stroke or Duramax

Old 08-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally posted by h2owarrior
Just for the record, the "technology" on the PowerStroke (HEUI injection system) is newer than that on the Duramax (high pressure common rail). There are advantages and drawbacks to both systems. For instance: The HEUI injectors tend to be loud. They produce most of the noise you hear. High pressure common rails are quieter but if a leak occurs in the system, you fill your crankcase with diesel fuel.

As for aluminum heads and blocks on diesel engines (Duramax), only time will tell. I am a cast iron fan myself.

Not meaning anything good or bad about either, I think they are both great motors.
Yeeeeeea, that kind've reminded me....Ours has the allison tranny too and what h20warrior described above (deisel going into the crank case) happened! I kinda forgot about that part. I wasn't driving it at the time But the warranty took care of the prob.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally posted by Mark in So. MD
Oh brother, here we go, Get the Popcorn

tank, PSD couldnt keep up? sorry bro, i have to disagree, and not that i am a ford man, actually i am for GM and would buy the Duramax over the PSD, but a good friend of mine used to tow my 7K lb Sonic all over the place and it got up to 100 no prob and pulled great.

Now the Duramax seems to be more technologically(this a word?) advanced, and yes, definitly more quiet, if you like that.

It used to have more power, and it still might, but i thought i saw a commerical saying that the PSD is now more powerful, like they overhauled the newer ones or something.

Still, I am sure either would pull any boat any of us will ever own.
Well heres the thing....towing to havasu is mostly up hill and we were smokin them on the up hill portions. Just telling ya what I know.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by candyman35
Playn,
Drive a Dmax. I have a 2500hd with a Dmax. I will never tow with Gas again. Great truck for going to the grocery store or towing a boat a long distance. Only way to know which is best for you is to test drive both on the same day. Then make your decision.

Dan
Canyman35,

I'm not the one needing to make the decision in this thread, I allready have
Old 08-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Playn,
Your such a good sport takin on all us dmax dudes. Just kidding, so where in Michigan are you?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Registered

Thanks alot guys for your comments on both engines. The main thing I am thinking about right now is I can get a F-250 Powerstroke for the X-plan price which would get me in the powerstroke for about 5K or 6K less than a comparibly equipped D-Max. But I definitly dont want to go with the powerstroke just because of that...I have never owned a Diesel before, but am gonna try one. From what I here it will pull my boat like no gas motor can... I have talked to a couple of guys that are closing in on 300,000 miles on their powerstrokes with no major problems...Dont really know anyone personally that has a D-Max.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dono,

In Howell.

Oh I almost forgot, the 2001 PS is my personal truck and I gave up the GM employee discount to get it Like I said, I wanted the DM to get a year under their belt first.

Last edited by Playn; 08-25-2002 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

Fountain1fan,

The Duramax is built in Ohio,USA
Old 08-25-2002, 11:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am fairly certain that both engines are very good. The Durramax is maybe a little quieter outside the cab but inside I think the Ford is a little quieter. The transmisions are the big week spot in ALL the trucks these days. As I understand it Chevy may have a slight lead with the transmisions. Just be aware of the issues with the transmisions on all of them.

Jon
Old 08-25-2002, 11:38 PM
Registered

Bailey,
Just because you can't get the a plan on gm dose'nt mean you have to pay sticker price. Make sure you wheel and deal with them if thats the way you go. I've driven all the big three diesels and you cant go wrong with any of them. Since your going from a gas to diesel make sure you drive both and pick the one you like the best. I did

Audio,
can you say ALLISON. it's really a cool trans. If you have'nt driven one go try it. you'll be impressed with the trans even if your a ford guy. Really

Last edited by Dono; 08-25-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dono I have a buddy that has a tranny shop and he has more of the Allisons coming back in the Chevy's and the Dodges then the Fords so....... I wish one of them would just fix the damn problems and stop messing around

Jon

Quick Reply: Power Stroke or Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.