Notices

Power Stroke or Duramax

Old 08-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Stroke or Duramax

How many people have owned or had experience with both engines? Would like to know which one is the best, everything considered. The only answers I have been getting are based on being partial to one or the other, instead of a true comparison. I am thinking about buying a powerstroke and would like to know..
Old 08-25-2002, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

My girlfriend has a company duramax crew cab. The thing is AWSOME!! I've never owned a diesel because of the typical things....like the glow plug thing, they're loud, smell, you can't really go too fast, etc etc etc. A few months ago a bunch of us towed to Havasu from Southern cali. There was about 10 of us and most of the guys had the power strokes. I was towing a 312 Formula which has to weigh like at least 7k right? Anyway the thing towed it like nothing was back there! I sh!t you not we were doing 90 on the freeway!! The powerstrokes just couldn't keep up with us. This truck is about 1/2 as loud as other diesels (it's actually quite quiet) in the morning you have to wait about 5 seconds for the glow plugs then for the rest of the day you don't even need to wait for them. The truck hauls ass like I said. I've had it up to 100 before and it just cruises. It is a very nice truck all together and I think the next truck I buy is going to be a crew cab duramax. Just for info I do like the powerstrokes they are sweet, and the f350 super duties are bad ass! but the new technology in the duramax really shows.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

Just for the record, the "technology" on the PowerStroke (HEUI injection system) is newer than that on the Duramax (high pressure common rail). There are advantages and drawbacks to both systems. For instance: The HEUI injectors tend to be loud. They produce most of the noise you hear. High pressure common rails are quieter but if a leak occurs in the system, you fill your crankcase with diesel fuel.

As for aluminum heads and blocks on diesel engines (Duramax), only time will tell. I am a cast iron fan myself.

Not meaning anything good or bad about either, I think they are both great motors.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:31 PM
Registered

Bailey,
I've got a 2002 duramax with the allison tranny and i love the truck. I had a 98 cummins and there's is no comparison. I was impartial when i went truck shopping and i know i made the right choice. Your gonna get a lot of die hard ford and gm guys trying to persuade you in their direction, so do the research take the test drives and make your choice.
Theres been a lot of mud slinging from the competition regarding the dmax, but most of it is bull $hit. The power stroke is getting replaced to try to catch up to the competition. In the detroit area theres a ton of dmax's around and everyone i talked to (at the gas station usually) loves there dmax. Can you tell i love mine. Do a search under (Dono's Duramax ) and check mine out. I'm not sure how to repost the pics or i would do it. did i mention i love this truck.

just an after thought. one reason i didn't go with the powerstroke is because their replacing it with a new engine and i didn't want to have an out dated truck a year after i bought it. And the allison tranny is awesome.

Last edited by Dono; 08-25-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:31 PM
Registered

Oh brother, here we go, Get the Popcorn

tank, PSD couldnt keep up? sorry bro, i have to disagree, and not that i am a ford man, actually i am for GM and would buy the Duramax over the PSD, but a good friend of mine used to tow my 7K lb Sonic all over the place and it got up to 100 no prob and pulled great.

Now the Duramax seems to be more technologically(this a word?) advanced, and yes, definitly more quiet, if you like that.

It used to have more power, and it still might, but i thought i saw a commerical saying that the PSD is now more powerful, like they overhauled the newer ones or something.

Still, I am sure either would pull any boat any of us will ever own.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a construction company and have two Powerstrokes. One in a 97 F350 crew cab and another in a 2001 F250 crew cab. We have never had a problem with either vehicle and will be adding another F250 powerstroke this year.

The trailers we haul on a regular basis are quite a bit heavier than our boat & trailer that weighs in at about 7000lbs and quite frankly there quite a bit less aerodynamic. We have never strained there capibilities. They are very quiet on the road, and have incredible power.

We did consider a Duramax on the 2001 truck but stayed with the powerstroke due to the newness of the Duramax at that time. Now that the Duramax has been available for over a year I would be less aprehensive in purchasing one. They are in no doubt a good product. Personally I don't think you'll regret whichever you choose.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:47 PM
Registered

Playn,
actually the dmax's are going on 3rd year. production numbers have been upped to 150k per year. they made 100k in 2001 and 100k in 2002. I read about on auto broker who has 4 dmax's and one has broken the 400k mark without any pblms. and thats towing a 15k trailor. I'm hoping they prove to be reliable. I've talked with others that are approaching 100k mark trouble free. Hell its got a 100k warranty on the engine and trans so how could ya go wrong.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dono,

Actually I said I was looking at them in 2001 and they have been available for "over" a year. They hadn't been back then And like I said "there no doubt a good product and one would probably not go wrong with either (DM or PS)
Old 08-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Registered

sorry guys i hope you neaver have to buy parts for your d max you will wish it was made in the usa a frend has a a isuze deasel irragation system and the water pump quit the pump ran 499 $ jest fo it ship from j pan 2 weeks to get it
Old 08-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Registered

Playn,
Drive a Dmax. I have a 2500hd with a Dmax. I will never tow with Gas again. Great truck for going to the grocery store or towing a boat a long distance. Only way to know which is best for you is to test drive both on the same day. Then make your decision.

Dan

Quick Reply: Power Stroke or Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.