Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Adding a Pad  with a notch and steps >

Adding a Pad with a notch and steps

Notices

Adding a Pad with a notch and steps

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Worked for this Gentleman back in the 90s, One hell of a guy and builds one hell of a fast strong boat.

Never has been to anything but highschool and couldn't draw much less read a set of engineered plans if he had too, But he has in his favor 1000s of hours running these bad boys and knows what works and what doesn't.

The big joke around the shop was how the big manufactures were trying to satisfy their customers need for speed after Paul's boats blew their doors off and kill them in the Tounaments.

The manufacture would have some big name designers and engineers build a set of mold for their new pig and have it all wrong from what had already been proven out on the water years prior by Paul's boats and the other non College but Schooled by the Sea backyard builders in the area.

http://www.paulmanncustomboats.com/background.php

yep all wood framed built by eye and instinct only. Sheathed in marine plywood and biaxe set in epoxy. Some of the strongest and lightest subsequently efficent and fastest sportfishing boats out there..

These Outerbanks guys building in their backyards Schooled the big manufactures back in the 90s.

What is hard to see in the pics of the big dog on the trailer is the full length outerkeel for tracking in large following seas and also the exaggerated flare of the bow to get it out of the pass and carry the bow thru the huge breakers .
Also the flare quickly dissolves in to a immediate convex in the hull sides about a third of the way back. This doubled the hull strength in a critical area when the boat would fall off a large wave on the quarter.

Back in the days the large manufactures were still building the hull sides with the hollow all the way back. Many an old Bert or Hat separated from the deck after falling on it's side off a wave before they learned this little trick

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-17-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
You asked right? More power will make you go faster, fact. Home made steps, notch, various hull gizmos might make you go faster, might get you in trouble too, worse yet a passenger.
You may want to tell that to Steve Stepp after he was the 1st production boat to break a 100 with a pad and notched transom .

And than call Reggie and tell him he had it all wrong when he bought the old Excalibur 31 molds and added a notch and pad and started to Execute his competitors in the quest for speed in the productions area.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
You may want to tell that to Steve Stepp after he was the 1st production boat to break a 100 with a pad and notched transom .

And than call Reggie and tell him he had it all wrong when he bought the old Excalibur 31 molds and added a notch and pad and started to Execute his competitors in the quest for speed in the productions area.
Good grief...

They're frickin boat builders, I'm sorry if I missed that part of your experience. If you are so determined why ask? There's more to bottom design than just slopping on some fiberglass, although with these forums so rich in history from accidents in these stepped things maybe there isn't.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Just an idea , something to talk about, something to keep the boards interesting . Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers .Sorry if i did.
Good grief...

They're frickin boat builders, I'm sorry if I missed that part of your experience. If you are so determined why ask? There's more to bottom design than just slopping on some fiberglass, although with these forums so rich in history from accidents in these stepped things maybe there isn't.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Hey...fine by me, messing with something that is borderline to begin with (steps) could be trouble IMO. Enough people getting hurt in these things these days, just don't want to see another one if possible. As you can tell, I'm not the biggest fan of steps.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

My thought is simply the boat rides still on the Vee with the pad only doing half of the lifting in the speed range of 45 to 50 which is as fast as i want to go in the rough stuff where handling can change in the blank of an eye these days,
Get in the calm stuff like we have here most of the time and wring it out at 80 in a straight line.

Be nice to cruise at 55-60 at 3500 in a mild SBC too.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

Hey...fine by me, messing with something that is borderline to begin with (steps) could be trouble IMO. Enough people getting hurt in these things these days, just don't want to see another one if possible. As you can tell, I'm not the biggest fan of steps.
Hey me neither ,

Have seen way to many people over their head with horsepower in the 40 years I have been in this sport and to add steps proven or unproven for someone to understand the handeling aspect and consequences is way beyond most.

To be honest when I started getting back into these boats 9 years ago when I happened upon this site and saw all the people that were barrel rolling and getting hurt or killed I was horrified that the manufactures would still offer them on their boats.

Good or bad I just felt they were well beyond the skill and knowledge level of most entry performance boaters that entered back when this hobby exploded again years back.

But unbelievably as the speeds increased I think the statistic's will prove that the fatalities because of rollovers went down thru education from this site and Performance schools such as Tres Martins/

Not to mention enough years have passed that most of the ill handling steps have been committed to the dump or are rotting on some trailer .
Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone remember Bobby Moore in Miami at the time use to advertise - add a step to your hull. I think back in the day he claimed 21 or 27 mph with his add a step to a Apache hull. I think he is no longer in Miami but might have moved to Missouri currently. I have no experience with add a step after the fact by him or any others. Wonder if anyone had it done and the true results.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobby Moore’s Step-Hull Conversion
With the aid of Bobby Moore’s Custom Marine you can join the step-bottom hull revolution without having to sell your existing V-bottom boat. Moore has devised a proven method of attaching a stepped-hull to an older performance boat to achieve faster speeds. Results generally reflect a 6 to 8 mph speed increase, but Moore has seen as much as a 24 mph improvement on an older 41-foot Aronow. It’s a tedious process of removing the engines and turning the boat upside down and then applying a custom-fit balsa step to the hull using fiberglass and epoxy resin with a vacuum bag process. The best results come from boats 38 feet and up that already run 65 mph or better. For a price quote you’ll need to call and describe your present boat’s size and design. Contact Bobby Moore’s Custom Marine, 3016-3030 NE 188th St., N Miami FL 33180; (305) 931-3157.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That's exactly what I was talking about, Can I ask were did you get that info from and I believe Bobby Moore is no longer in Miami , Man I guess I do have a good memory to remember about the Apache except when it comes to spelling, I sometimes can not remember how to spell them..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.