Why are headers so expensive? >

Why are headers so expensive?

Notices

Why are headers so expensive?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Mercruiser (and CMI) are still in business.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think they bend them up together.

I would think the inner tubing is fabricated and then inserted into the outer jacket. In small sections, of course.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

mostly they were trying to mandrel bend both as much as possible and leave as little welding as possible. The water jacket header doubled the price plus forgot the stainless they they were going to use. I don't think it was 316 because it did not have better corrosion resistance. .

Last edited by BUP; 08-22-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

They are bent together, seal the ends, fill the void with some type of medium and bend away. It's amazing 7,000 for cmi's yet the baddest set of lemons headers for a drag car are what $1500?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
ALL CMIs ARE NOT JUNK.

CMI gets a bad rap for all the 525 and similar header issues.

However, CMI submitted a spec for the 525s when they came out.
Mercury didn't like it. They wanted something cheaper.

What CMI ultimately accepted was a product that wasn't built as well, but built within the $$/spec they were willing to pay.
CMI built that spec and sold them thousands for OEM Mercury packages.

Then after the headers started to fail, CMI got the bad wrap as they everyone pointed fingers in both directions.
Sounds a lot like defense contracting !
Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
Because they say Mercury. The have been gouging the general boating population for decades. Merc wanted $45.00 for an o-ring for a VOS tank on my outboards.
This.... Merc wanted $44 for a 6' section of 4mm nylon tubing for my water pressure sender. Harley uses the same thing for air shocks and wanted $24 for a 25' chunk. Local industrial supply had 100' spools for $13.
My conclusion is Merc/Quicksilver/Harley boxes and bags are REALLY expensive.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
This.... Merc wanted $44 for a 6' section of 4mm nylon tubing for my water pressure sender. Harley uses the same thing for air shocks and wanted $24 for a 25' chunk. Local industrial supply had 100' spools for $13.
My conclusion is Merc/Quicksilver/Harley boxes and bags are REALLY expensive.
I thought the custom bike world was expensive until I got into performance boats. My custom Harley chopper has been sitting in my living room since 2007! If it wasn't for all the nuts in cars with cell phones I might consider riding again.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stainless marine headers i have on my boat are 3k a set new.... its a lot but not that bad. They dont offer something that will work for you?

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/?wpsc...=01-1260010-00

i think when you consider the material and the fact that they are like 4 headers as someone else said the price is sort of on point... they have to make money ya kno

Last edited by sparky24; 08-22-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its like road racing, the price doubles. I remember asking why a company charged twice as much as a dirt track vendor. I was told 'because they can'. I have four sets of cmi's collecting dust now, I switched to dana's. Next time I'll probably use stainless marine
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with CMI's, but CMI built Merc 525 headers have a problem specific to that header system.

Why are they so expensive? Well look at material costs; you've got around $2k or more in Stainless alone. Then look at a CNC Mandrel bend machine that does double wall - cubic $$$ . Add in your design time, testing, jigging, welding equipment, polishing, heat treating, etc. Then CMI being the capitalist pigdog industrialists they are, want to make some money too, is that a bad thing? I don't like how much headers cost either but if you look at it from a manufacturers standpoint their not such a bad deal.

I just had a set of custom stainless headers made for a little 4 cylinder Lotus Cortina, nothing special just 4-2-1 single wall no polish. $3,500.oo .

We had to send the exhaust out on my Cessna twin for an AD (Airworthiness Directive) inspection. This requires them to open up and reweld some of the components. $ 9,500.oo.

CMI's or Like headers for what, $ 7,500.oo? Polished and ready to go, like bolt on ready to go? Deal, write the check! CMI's been around for a long time and builds some quality products, there are some other less expensive alternatives but they may not be around in 5 years for you to complain about them. I don't like the cost of this stuff but it is what it is and these companies need to be profitable too or they won’t survive. I know some have had less than desirable experiences but you normally only hear the complaints not the praise.

I've got two pairs of old E tops on our Fountain that have worked flawlessly since new back in the late 90's. I never overheated them, made sure they had the CORRECT water flow when rigged, drain them when not in use and pickle them in the winter. Most people don't do this I know and when you mistreat your equipment it doesn't last as long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.