Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Prop size should I look at? >

What Prop size should I look at?

Notices

What Prop size should I look at?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Docking a twin engine boat on only 1 engine is not even remotely close to a single engine boat. A single engine boat is in the center not pushing from 1 side only. Also how many 36' boats do you see with a single? The boat rides like a bag of **** with the props turning in. It's not a stepped bottom boat which usually benifits from turning in. I put $100,000 into a 35 sonic trying to get it to run fast. Learn from others MISTAKES lol
I'm not saying it's not worth a try to spin in because it's easy to do and doesn't cost anything to try.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don' have much to help with prop size but I can chime in on the whole docking with props spinning in.. I have a 30 Concept that spins props out. It has pretty good dock manners. I tried spinning them in a few months ago. At first I swapped the lower units and forgot to switch the shift cables. I tried to take it out that way, however when I came back, even though I knew the shifters were backward, my arm wanted to do the opposite of my brain which made docking tuff. So if you do try to just swap props and leave the lowers alone, make sure you have a wide open space to dock. On to actual performance.... My Concept did respond a bit better to the props spinning in, it gave me a few more MPH on top end, however my cruise economy did seem to suffer a bit. Also docking while not difficult, it was a different monster. Basically had to steer it instead of leaving the steering neutral and using throttle to swing it around. It was easier to use just the starboard motor to dock...

After I switched back to spinning out is where things got ugly. It was then that I crashed into a dock, because I was so used to docking spinning in that I throttle up the wrong motor when spinning the boat around..... Ooops......
Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
and Nate, sorry for hijacking the thread......but i think it's all good info being shared here.......
By all means go for it i enjoy reading it all.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by billy boats
Docking a twin engine boat on only 1 engine is not even remotely close to a single engine boat. A single engine boat is in the center not pushing from 1 side only. Also how many 36' boats do you see with a single? The boat rides like a bag of **** with the props turning in. It's not a stepped bottom boat which usually benifits from turning in. I put $100,000 into a 35 sonic trying to get it to run fast. Learn from others MISTAKES lol
I'm not saying it's not worth a try to spin in because it's easy to do and doesn't cost anything to try.
Ya I am not trying to make a rockets ship here. I know this is a heavy boat with mild power.

I would be super happy with a top around 73 like you said and a cruise speed in the mid to upper 50 area. I think I want to try a 26 first and go from there.

I do think the limiter was 5200 iirc from this Sunday.