Notices

service adivce/help

Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

those are some scary numbers! my advice is to learn how to wrench on your boat your self. I don't think I could afford to own a boat if I paid the shop to do all of my work, especially seeing numbers like these. I live in a less than popular boating area and the few shops that we do have for repairs charges crazy amounts of money for parts and service. not to mention that they do not know much about performance motors and want a serial number to my engine every time I come in with a part number for what I need. custom built engines don't have merc serial numbers lol
Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record.....
Trim hoses on a trs are very short, and mount one side to the ram, the other side to an aluminum proportion ing block at the base of the outer transom assy.

If you are sure that it is trim fluid leaking, from one of those hoses......it's an easy DIY for under 100.
If it is the proportion ing block, same deal.....easy and under a 100 for new block and two orings.

If it's gearlube, it's a little more labor intensive, but most likely coming from between the upper gear case and bell/helmet. You would need a seal kit and a drive lube seal. Your inner transom assy. Holds reserve oil and it passes into the gear case through a check valve on the port side of the upper gear case.

Either way, the Borg trans does not come into play concerning either repair.....so run, run, runaway!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is gear oil inside the transom I would look very closely at the short rubber hose that runs from the inner transom reservoir to the outer transom. It is very easy to overlook and they are usually brittle as heck. I can't really think of anything that the transmissions would make difficult when it comes to the trim hoses. If anything, working on the transom side of a TRS boat is easier because you don't have the block right up against it. The front side of the motor, that is another story.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

also, if it is the trim hose, the 30 year old trim cyl housing could be on it's last legs and the thread could come out with the hose. BUT, no matter what else is wrong, or what else could be needed, the 850 WON'T cover it. it will be tacked on the bill!!!