Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015 >

SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015

Notices

SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015

Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the part I don't follow us why a portion is held back by SBI (20%) and it all isn't offered as part of the winnings. These big boats draw the crowds, and it's the crowds that enable event sponsors and municipality funding. Maybe I'm missing something.

It would be interesting to hear from the silent teams not aligned with the change.

Regardless, a bigger boat turnout is only going to benefit everyone.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
That's funny. Actually, to be clear, the class is still called "Unlimited." "Slot" is a designation/series/circuit within the class.
It is still one class, one championship.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
It is still one class, one championship.
That's exactly what I wrote, but to clarify: Only those who participate in the "Slot" category can compete for the Slot purse.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
That's exactly what I wrote, but to clarify: Only those who participate in the "Slot" category can compete for the Slot purse.
Thanks, Matt.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
I guess the part I don't follow us why a portion is held back by SBI (20%) and it all isn't offered as part of the winnings. These big boats draw the crowds, and it's the crowds that enable event sponsors and municipality funding. Maybe I'm missing something.

It would be interesting to hear from the silent teams not aligned with the change.

Regardless, a bigger boat turnout is only going to benefit everyone.

Marine Concepts is on board. Looking forward to a great season of racing with SBI. Thanks so much for keeping the class alive.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris
You guys did a good job taking an exciting class and making it even better. The key to any class is the amount of boats in the class and your new concept is very interesting.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

Seems that most of the UL teams are in support. When this was first announced, I was very curious to see what direction it would take. Some comments on social media indicated some level of frowning, but based on feedback here from Alex Ani, Envy, MGRT, and Marine Concepts it's clearly the majority in the 'yes' column. Whichever way it goes, one thing is for sure: the fans are hungry to see more heavyweights in the ring. A couple UL's always makes a race, but with 50% attrition, you would need at least 4 entries to see the heavys COMPLETE a full race.

The UL class right now reminds me of a Mike Tyson fight...2-3 laps and the 'racing' is usually over in a 2 horse race. One will very likely fall out, leaving the the other to 'cruise' to the win. Not terribly exciting. The intensity of seeing a full "15 rounds" dies off too quickly for the spectators. I think a change is much needed and if the race teams support it, bring it on down. The fans and potential sponsors will welcome the adjustments.

Now, there's still that remaining thing called Turbine Class....I think that's s/b the next area JC tackles. One or even two turbines is not a class. And the only active turbine this year is throwing down 10,000 hp. Not even close in numbers to the UL pistons. My suggestion: Limit the turbines to 1800/1900 hp and roll them into the UL class. With most pistons now running north of 1650 hp, the UL/Turbine class is much closer than even 5 years ago.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Schedule? Dates?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Schedule? Dates?
I don't think 2015 is out yet. When it comes out:
www.superboat.com
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I think its great !!!! It should kill the class and force them to all race in Super Cat. If you want to race then race against as many people as possible. Less classes = better racing IMO It sucks if you own one of these million dollar boats but most of them have the funds to re tool or by new boats if they truly want to race. We don't need more speed we need more racers at livable speeds.
Randy
We may only agree to disagree on this topic,,,,,,,

But, this will not kill the class, it will transition it from a hobby to a professional sport.

It is irrational to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect that it will produce better racing results the next season.
Changing the structure for SBI-SV (SVL) for annual fee of ($15 - $25,000) per team would be an investment towards professional racing,
It is a time to stop celebrating the past and shape the future of the professional sport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.