Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze >

Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Notices

Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I've seen a lot of corrosion inside blocks from -50F RV antifreeze. Always have to poke inside block drains to get water to come out.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooo.. what's the proper way to back flush engine to remove sand, rust, and debris before winterizing?
I can feel the ulcer working already lol.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I've seen a lot of corrosion inside blocks from -50F RV antifreeze. Always have to poke inside block drains to get water to come out.
You sure that's not from the normal summer use of lake water? RV antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in it.

The Splash brand is what usually seen at Menards anymore. It also states corrosion inhibitors ingredients:http://www.splashwash.com/product/antifreeze/rv-marine/
Attached Thumbnails Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze-p1030003.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 10-05-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: pic
Old 10-05-2014, 02:58 PM
SB
Registered

100% positive. I have been boating on same lake for 45 years. One boat I work on has been here since 84. Another since 91. Another since 92. On and on. In fact, we use the same docks and ramps for all those years. LOL.

Anyway, in the spring when I open the block drains the -50F engines would be very scaly/rusty. Most of the time I'd have to poke in drain with pocket screwdriver or etc and let water out. Tuns of small flakes or rust would come out with the antifreeze.

Yeh Splash Zone and others state they have inhibitors and etc. I say - yeh, whatever. There metal protection sucks to be honest.

I've heard the West Marine -100F is real good. But that's all I've heard. I'll be switching to that this or next winter. I'm getting old and my pretty long and careful green antifreeze routine I had for past 10yrs + needs to be changed. ie: mount of time + things you have to do to make sure you recover all of it. I don't have the time nor flexible body I once had.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

www.dowfrost.com

If I remember correctly I think they have the most corrosion inhibitors added. Keep in mind that all anti freeze is a form of Alcohol to start with and needs corrosion inhibitors added.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
yep,,they get that pinkish rock salt look eh!!..i just dont get it...most use the best oil,,best fuel,best gear oil best filters on their 10,20,30 k engines but when it comes to winterizing they put the cheapest antifreeze in their 10,20,30 k engines..i sleep well at night using the -200 below antifreeze...you dilute it with a gallon of water and now you have 2 gallons good for 100 below and its only 9.95 a gallon..
Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
SB
Registered

Where do you get the -200F ?

Around here, places just stock the -50F because no one (stores/store help/store managers/etc) seems to know anything nor care for that matter. Doh !
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck35
Sooo.. what's the proper way to back flush engine to remove sand, rust, and debris before winterizing?
I can feel the ulcer working already lol.
the way i do it is i pull all the plugs and start the engine..this gets most of the crap out..then install all the plugs and let the engine warm up to operating temps on the hose,i pull the plugs..before i do anything i mix stable with a gallon of gas on customers boats and dump it in their tanks..if you use stable out of the bottle half of it gets stuck in the fill hose and never reach's the tank..on my boats i drain it into my suburban.. then once i have it hooked to the tank i let it run until it gets to 175* then i start to fog the engine ..heres my tank,i use to use sierra but now i use the orange stuff from boat us..i pump it into the engine with a electric bilge pump.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM
BUP
Banned

All the specs listed and protection as many in the marine business use their products.

www.starbrite.com/category/pg-antifreeze-2

Also camco is another one used by marine shops. (Google camco antifreeze or camco winterizing anti freeze)

Most Merc shops buy it thru Merc or land & Sea and of course label with quicksilver.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 AM
BUP
Banned

Some of the ski boat engine manufacturers recommend this for winter layup.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...tifreeze-1-gal

And Merc / Mercruisers take on this. FWIW

http://media.channelblade.com/EProWe...eze%20FAQs.pdf

Also Splash PG antifreeze uses the Dow corrosion inhibitors in which is positive..

Last edited by BUP; 10-06-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.