Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze >

Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Notices

Winterizing sterndrive/engine pink or green antifreeze

Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

A little experiment I did last year. This bottle had 75% pink antifreeze, 25% water. Ambient temp was -10 below here. Took all my strength squeezing it to get any compression of the ice inside. There was slight expansion in the bottle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afMEAQpUQ4g
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mild and everyone else even if you do not add 1 oz of water to the pink anti freeze it still freezes rock solid. I had seen some brands at 26 degrees freeze rock solid with a tad expansion rate in a very short period of time without any water added in a sealed gallon Jug..

Here is why you never want to add water as this guy points it out also on youtube. He is the biz and winterizations more than 1 or 20 or how many boats per year, every year. I have never used it period. Also some of these pink anti freezes Do not have as much corrosion inhibitors as you think, plus antifreeze is a form of alcohol in which if lacking enough corrosion inhibitors in the mix can promote corrosion. Some of these pink anti freeze formulas are for water systems only non metal parts. Just saying. Link below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3d2DGIPEAQ

Last edited by BUP; 11-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I winded up buying 7 cases of the pink.
After I ran them for 30 min each.Pulled the lower hose off circulating pump first let majority of block water out ,then filled up my plastic bin with the pink.Ran 18 gallons through each motor.Drained headers and block.Had a pink river running down the drive lol.
18 gallons might be a little much but I will sleep good.Don't read this if your an environmental whacko.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhgggg used pink the last 2 years without a issue, but maybe I need to go green considering the last 2 video's
Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Back in the day I used the green antifreeze - In fact I drained it out and re-used it. Of course after a few years I had to replace a little. With the dawn of the RV Pink stuff I have used that for the past 10 years - and won't go back -- You don't need to worry about hurting the little fishes or if you drain in the drive and Fido licks some up you don't have to worry about poisoning the dog. If my block didn't freeze and break last year with the pink stuff -- it never will.

3pointstar
Not so sure about that, I de-winterized one spring in my yard where the pink blew onto the lawn. I wasn't able to grow grass there for 2 years. Anyway, pink survived CT winters, worked for me just fine.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Pink is for toilets. Ethylene glycol is for engines.