Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question >

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Notices

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Old 10-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I look at it like this. .... Guys like Mike at sterling, Ron at Potter, and Eddie at Young HAVE to make stuff live or they are out of business. Mercury has a margin of error because of regression agreements with vendors and their own forecasted dollars to pay on warranty issues. When out of warranty, hey it is a "perfomance engine and stuff happens"

I have 130 hours on my 525 and already thinking about the top ends. NO WAY will I use Merc stuff when the best builders in the business don't and they HAVE to make stuff live.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Impact

In mechanics, an impact is a high force or shock applied over a short time period when two or more bodies collide. Such a force or acceleration usually has a greater effect than a lower force applied over a proportionally longer time period of time. The effect depends critically on the relative velocity of the bodies to one another.

At normal speeds, during a perfectly inelastic collision, an object struck by a projectile will deform, and this deformation will absorb most, or even all, of the force of the collision. Viewed from the conservation of energy perspective, the kinetic energy of the projectile is changed into heat and sound energy, as a result of the deformations and vibrations induced in the struck object. However, these deformations and vibrations cannot occur instantaneously. A high-velocity collision (an impact) does not provide sufficient time for these deformations and vibrations to occur. Thus, the struck material behaves as if it were more brittle than it is, and the majority of the applied force goes into fracturing the material. Or, another way to look at it is that materials actually are more brittle on short time scales than on long time scales: this is related to time-temperature superposition. Impact resistance decreases with an increase in the modulus of elasticity, which means that stiffer materials will have less impact resistance. Resilient materials will have better impact resistance.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Good explanation of xr gear sets also, a whole diff merc pos debate
Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM
SB
Registered

Also, please click on: http://www.racingsprings.com/Multime...b/kb513103.pdf

and read / look at page #15 and #17.

Note: Page 15 is not a running engine, it is a spinning valvetrain to show what regular LS valvesprings run at for temp without being influenced by engine temps.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody seems to find it odd that an old school 420 horse 454 routinely runs 500 hours plus without top end work turning 5200 RPM, but a 525 horse 502 has a valvetrain that is as fragile as a suitcase full of glass dildos.

To deny that Mercury Racing has taken cost cutting measures on an engine that should be the flagship for reliability and performance is burying your head in the sand. They know how to make a big block live, they did it back in the 80's, they just choose not to do it and charge an absolute asinine amount of money for their blue powerplants. It is almost like the Steve Jobs business model of planned obsolescence.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Lmao suitcase full of glass dildo's stored on a 27 fountain crossing Long Island sound during hurricane season!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

to women its called fine china

Remember when TV's lasted 25 plus years back in the days when you were kids. Nothing in the marine business is going to last even close to that because they need part sales and that's were a lot of profit is for them. For Merc / Brunswick it sure is not in boat sales like it use to be. They care about warranty claims but about 2 to 4 years after the warranty expires expect to start buying new parts for your boat.

How do you think they came up with the warranty for the emission & catalyst stuff on these current marine engines ? 1 is the epa mandates a warranty but it has to work also in the manufacturer favor as well but has to be fair. So in the marine industry across the board they came up with 3 years or 480 hours which ever comes up first as your warranty is over for all emission related parts including the CAT. How do you think they puledl these numbers ? Anyone.

Last edited by BUP; 10-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Nobody seems to find it odd that an old school 420 horse 454 routinely runs 500 hours plus without top end work turning 5200 RPM, but a 525 horse 502 has a valvetrain that is as fragile as a suitcase full of glass dildos.

Not odd at all. IMHO.

The HP500 has short duration with a lot of lift. 222 at 050 with almost .600" lift is pretty damn aggressive. Add in a nothing special valve spring and you get valvetrain issues a few hundred hrs in.

Also, those Crane Lobes (721, 731, and 741's) have been around so long, they where developed before many advances in smoother acting 'agressive' lobes have been implemented.

Big Block's love lift. For power, the more the better. So, the queston always is, how much lift can you afford ?
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the 525 has an aggresive cam to make as much power as it does without a blower. So if Merc Racing replacement parts are not a good decision for your Merc Racing engine, what parts then? Let's get a consensus on a Master Parts List from camshaft to valve stem for a basic OEM or improved top end rebuild. I'll start:

Teague PN: PAC TVS1631 at $27.93 ea. or $446.88 per engine. Has anyone used these on a motor for more than 300 hrs??

Man up and add your rebuild hours to the other thread so we can get a real world idea of how long these heads go before freshening. So far entries from 200 to 465 hrs. Please add yours and why was rebuild done.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed 2 sets of Teague (PAC) stuff way earlier this year in 2 different customers boats. Both of the 525 valve springs needed to be replace as they were weak. Both engines had lost 300 to 400 rpm (if I remember correctly) one engine around 285 hrs another about 310 hrs. Anyways I know they do not have 300 hrs on them as of yet but I think one might be close to 100 hrs of running time by now. .I will call him soon to see if everything still is good. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.