Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Countdown to Key West: Qatar Team Boats Out for SBI Worlds >

Countdown to Key West: Qatar Team Boats Out for SBI Worlds

Notices

Countdown to Key West: Qatar Team Boats Out for SBI Worlds

Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole point of the Key West race is to be a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Wouldn't a reasonable definition of that be champions or competitors from any or all organization across the globe, all coming together to decide who is best? If that was the intent, which I believe it was and has been for the last 30 years, racers should be welcome regardless of what organization they race in or have ties to.

If that is in fact not the intent, then don't call it a World Championship, that's BS...call it the SBI Championship because that's all it is. It really is a shame that all this political BS is going to get in the way of true powerboat racing again. Rivalries are great for the sport. SBI should just be rooting for one of their "committed" teams to kick the crap out of Qatar, not ban them from racing.

Leave the egos at the dock and race.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StillCrazy J&M
The whole point of the Key West race is to be a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Wouldn't a reasonable definition of that be champions or competitors from any or all organization across the globe, all coming together to decide who is best? If that was the intent, which I believe it was and has been for the last 30 years, racers should be welcome regardless of what organization they race in or have ties to.

If that is in fact not the intent, then don't call it a World Championship, that's BS...call it the SBI Championship because that's all it is. It really is a shame that all this political BS is going to get in the way of true powerboat racing again. Rivalries are great for the sport. SBI should just be rooting for one of their "committed" teams to kick the crap out of Qatar, not ban them from racing.

+1

Is it a world championship of racers from all different series or just a US championship event held in Key West for those the sanctioning body elects to include?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:00 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

How it once was ..............

November 19, 1988|By DON ZERN
Source Link

"For the first time in eight years, Key West will not host an American Power Boat Association race in 1989.

The Offshore Racing Commission (ORC), a sub-committee of the APBA, awarded the 1989 UIM/APBA Class I and II World Championships Oct. 17, 19 and 21 to Atlantic City, N.J. The world championship involves powerboats competing in the Union of International Motorboating (UIM), which governs the APBA in the United States.

At the annual ORC meeting in St. Louis this week, entrepreneur Donald Trump bid $160,000 to Key West`s $150,000. Hawaii representatives, the only other bidder, also offered $150,000.

The world championships are held every year -- odd years in United States and even years in a foreign country. This year it was held in Guernsey, England, Sept. 12, 14 and 17.

The World Cup, a separate event that Key West hosted last week, is held semiannually and is actually a U.S. championship.

Key West has hosted one or the other since 1981.

``It was strictly a business decision,`` said Mike Drury of New Orleans, director of the APBA`s Offshore Technical Committee. ``It`s not that anyone is dissatisfied with Key West. Trump bid higher.``

Also at the meeting, Key West outbid Hawaii for the 1990 World Cup. Trump did not bid.

Racing in Atlantic City in October is not popular among competitors.

``I hate to hear this,`` said Errol Lanier of Fort Lauderdale, throttleman for former APBA Open Division champion Bob Kaiser. ``People who have to race there next October will find it atrocious.``

Lanier said he expects ``no chance`` of having smooth water there in October.

``We`re obviously disappointed with the (APBA`s) decision,`` said John Carbonell, race chairman of the Conch Republic Offshore Powerboat Association. ``I guess it`s sort of difficult for the ORC to turn Trump down.``

Key West almost lost the Offshore World Cup this year when in July the Monroe County Tourist Development Council announced budget cuts. The TDC later reconsidered and the race was funded.

``I knew there were other cities who were bidding on it, but I didn`t think Atlantic City had much of a chance because of the weather that time of year,`` Kaiser said Friday from Detroit.

Kaiser, who placed second to Italian Fabio Buzzi in the Open Division last week at Key West, said he expects the world championships to get increased national coverage primarily because of Trump. Kaiser said Atlantic City may be a ``better international location`` for the race."

It is an "EVEN YEAR" this year ........

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 10-18-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your statement is 100% true and racers from any org can race the worlds they r now. SBI,OPA, and European team that you will see like we have in the past.
Everyone misses the point hes not banning a racer because of where he races SBI has never done that and not the intent here. He banned Steve as the head of a org that is interfering with SBI and their business. No one here really knows the facts so I understand its hard to comment on something, but with that said maybe best not to just assume. Meeting with promoter and cities with sign long term contacts and calling members is more then someone racing another org in my book. Why call put out this new terrific plan u have put out a schedule, prize money, fees, classes , medical, rule book and we can decide from there. No one is even sure what classes this org will have or what if any rule book. The classes were stated in the press release , but thats changed already so maybe we all need to let it play out. As of right now things havent changed racing will go on.

Its called TORTUROUS INTERFERENCE and might end up in the attorneys hands.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SBI group did the Offshore Powerboat Grand Prix group a big favor. Free advertising baby! SBI shot themselves in the foot with that bone-headed move. They opened the door for a media blitz that now has people buzzing over what is to come now that a new sanctioning body exists.

I'm curious to see what the outcome of this will be, but my money is on OPGP rising to power and stardom. SBI will not win out by making the teams fearful of their every move. The teams own the boats and have the right to race in whatever events they choose to participate in.....so long as they have not been
Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing

Its called TORTUROUS INTERFERENCE and might end up in the attorneys hands.
This entire topic is torturous.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wingnit
The SBI group did the Offshore Powerboat Grand Prix group a big favor. Free advertising baby! SBI shot themselves in the foot with that bone-headed move. They opened the door for a media blitz that now has people buzzing over what is to come now that a new sanctioning body exists.

I'm curious to see what the outcome of this will be, but my money is on OPGP rising to power and stardom. SBI will not win out by making the teams fearful of their every move. The teams own the boats and have the right to race in whatever events they choose to participate in.....so long as they have not been
Again it has nothing to do with a team making moves 50% of the boats in kw run differnt org .......does anyone get thats the the point.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Some may call it TORTUROUS INTERFERENCE I call it fair competition. Those involved with contractual obligations to SBI are the ones who will need to tread lightly so as not to be in breach.

I'm not sure how you can fault someone else from creating a new racing series that races in the same & or other states as long as you aren't trying to compete for said same city on same date.

Hopefully SBI has deep pockets & legal team on retainer to handle that title bout.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm at work and didn't read this whole thread but why is Qatar banned? Because they have deep pockets and could afford to build a faster boat with bigger jet engines? I was looking forward to seeing how this boat would do in real world off-shore racing.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Actually I believe it's b/c they announced the formation of a new series that will compete w/ SBI for participants, sponsors & fan base.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.