Notices

Got #%ucked again

Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

I would have had second thoughts of buying the second I heard it was running on 3 year old fuel. I what point was this brought up and why was it?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I would have had second thoughts of buying the second I heard it was running on 3 year old fuel. I what point was this brought up and why was it?
The age of the fuel? They said the wife's aging mom got a.l.s. And lived up state. And his mom got cancer or some shi%. So there wasn't any time to go boating. He did say he topped off with 60 gal. Of 93 octane
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
Call the seller & the inspector let them know they may have to make good repair or refund some of the money!
itll never happen in todays world. sucks but its just how it is... and it really depends how much you paid for it... either way its going to be alot of cash... BUT if you stole it, you cant complain too much. but if you paid retail thinking your getting a perfect boat then thats another story.. good luck!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Registered

60 gallons on top of how much old fuel?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Not to start anything but looking for someone to do a job well done should have been done for a pre purchase inspection. To address post # 9 there is so many more tests than a leakdown and compression test to perform that even some are 10 times easier. One is an engine vacuum test, next test, if the engine is efi or mpi the diagnostic testing can be done with the scan tool for injector balance tests and cylinder balance tests and cylinder miss fire tests. Then perform any fuel pressure testing. Also a spark plug reader / viewer and chart, if the person knows how to read spark plugs with the reader, it could be a valid test to perform and could show signs of problems.

If it is a carb engine and has Mercruiser T-Bolt V ignition system, the engine running hours can be checked with diacom to verify the true hours listed by the seller. Next test again engine vacuum test, you can do power balance test using a digital rpm gauge hook up, another test is dynamic compression test and if you have the correct equipment you can even do a cylinder balance test / cylinder drop test on a carb app. Also a running compression test can be perform. Some valve covers are simple to pull off so you check out that area. Also I have a really good inspection camera that can go thru the spark plug hole plus I have seal inline spark checkers as are always in my tool box especially for a pre purchase inspections along with a timing lite.

Anyways just throwing that out because leakdown and compression are not always 100 % tests to say the engine is 100% or not problem free. Also I have never ever seen a engine with 60 % or even 40 % with true leakdown #'s achieve its WOT recommend rpm range under full load nor have good throttle response. Anyways I hope this helps as far as some other testing ideas on top of.

Last edited by BUP; 10-29-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to be the one to say this but the member who mentioned e&o/liability ins gave you this best Insight of all.
Truth is their, the sellers, motors could have been true neglected care low hours and the sellers had no idea of the condition of the powerplants or outdrives, and you paid for a professional to protect yourself from this type of situation.
I'd guess you've already closed the deal and paid in full, plus this is an as is purchase.
You paid for a professional's insight of the vessel's condition and he represented it to be sound and seaworthy.
Fill in the blanks from here. My surveyor brought to light issues that the seller wasn't aware of and his appraisal allowed me a negotiated reduction in the price.
It appears yours didn't.

See.ya,
Kelly
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Drew curious was this a recommended surveyor from a board member or a phone book surveyor? Also was a mechanical survey including leak down, compression and any scanning discussed up front or was this assumed? I'm just curious as hopefully next year I will be making a purchase and will be looking for top notch info before I purchase.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Not to start anything but looking for someone to do a job well done should have been done for a pre purchase inspection. To address post # 9 there is so many more tests than a leakdown and compression test to perform that even some are 10 times easier. One is an engine vacuum test, next test, if the engine is efi or mpi the diagnostic testing can be done with the scan tool for injector balance tests and cylinder balance tests and cylinder miss fire tests. Then perform any fuel pressure testing. Also a spark plug reader / viewer and chart, if the person knows how to read spark plugs with the reader, it could be a valid test to perform and could show signs of problems.

If it is a carb engine and has Mercruiser T-Bolt V ignition system, the engine running hours can be checked with diacom to verify the true hours listed by the seller. Next test again engine vacuum test, you can do power balance test using a digital rpm gauge hook up, another test is dynamic compression test and if you have the correct equipment you can even do a cylinder balance test / cylinder drop test on a carb app. Also a running compression test can be perform. Some valve covers are simple to pull off so you check out that area. Also I have a really good inspection camera that can go thru the spark plug hole plus I have seal inline spark checkers as are always in my tool box especially for a pre purchase inspections along with a timing lite.

Anyways just throwing that out because leakdown and compression are not always 100 % tests to say the engine is 100% or not problem free. Also I have never ever seen a engine with 60 % or even 40 % with true leakdown #'s achieve its WOT recommend rpm range under full load nor have good throttle response. Anyways I hope this helps as far as some other testing ideas on top of.
As poster #9, I do agree with you that there are a lot of other tests that can be done and tell you a lot more about a motor. You sound knowledgeable and competent.

The point I was trying to make and didn't do a very good job at, was that a leak down test is pretty easy to do, the tester is cheap and anybody can do one, and just that one test will tell you a whole lot about a motor. I also think that a compression test is pretty useless if you do a leak down.

In this case, a leak down most likely would have showed problems with these motors.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Registered

Hey Mike whats up?
You back on the boat?

I doubt the survey included any mechanical testing other than running and outside visual inspection,A mechanical is a completely separate survey most of the time and cost about the same if not more as a hull survey,

If Cozzi from on the board here is still working he would be the one to hire . His wife got sick a while back so don't see him here lately

I think the only leg he will have to stand on is the issue with him not informing the buyer that the hour meter is most likely incorrect as it was not functioning.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Agreed Tommy. Just curious as to how it went. Yeah back on the boat floating around in the gulf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.