Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats >

Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats

Notices

Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats

Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

seems to me that CMS timed the start perfectly..that's what I used to try to do at every start...some are better than others at this........from the video, I do not see either CMS boat cut anyone off.......ditto to what Mike A said..if someone gets out of line in front of a faster boat that is passing, then things happen......having said that, this video does not have the best angle.....only those on the course can attest to what really happened..........the experienced guys can thread the needle.....there were times when boats in our races were inches within one another, that isn't the best scenario, but it happens in racing............as long as the line is kept and you throttle through the wash, the race goes on...............
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

For as long as I can remember watching videos of boats blasting out of the inlet in KW it always appears that the inside boat smokes the outside boats. In reality having been in some starts myself it is way closer than what people watching believe. IT'S ANGLES OF THE CAMERA !!!! The clean and best line has always been the inside lane coming out of the harbor. Fountain has always known this LOL. Bad starts are the starters problem not the racers IMO. To many quick green flags when many are not on the line. This should not be that hard to carry the fleet an extra 50 yards if need be.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes my friend goes down every year with his boat as many people do, he was sitting just after the start line so I think he had a good view of what happened as far as the drivers of the boats in question I have no idea of their experience. I would think overtaking a canopied boat and knowing they have poor rear visibility the passing boat would leave plenty of room he hit 2 boats not 1 trying to squeeze between them. Timing his start perfect is also bs the whole idea of a pace boat is to line everybody up at the same speed and start, not 7 boats going 80 and 2 boats a 1/4 mile back going 140. Hopefully drivers will chime in and give their version.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy, years ago I was getting frustrated by our starters so we decided to change the way we did it. After the three minutes expired following the red smoke, The starter directed the pace boat driver to turn up course, off plane. The starter did not let the driver plane off until all the race boats were slotted on the line. Once we all planed off we picked up a little speed and then threw the flag. No charging, starts were safe and looked great. What happened today was ludicrous, and putting two vees in with 170mph cats was dangerous. It should not surprise anyone that the two v-bottoms were involved in wrecks.

Last edited by Mike A.; 11-05-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plus every driver's meeting and every race packet offers the same caveat of "rules of the road apply". Not sure what happened in KW, but federal rules of the road ALWAYS put the legal responsibility on the overtaking vessel. In short, if you can't squeeze through safely, don't do it.

Anyway, glad everyone is safe.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:08 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Both the cms boats did that sling shot maneuver. Bob bull tried to go up the middle apparently hitting Alex and Ani and Lucas oil ended up going for a wild ride. In 3 of the 4 starts I saw at least one boat jumped the start each time

Last edited by obrien; 11-06-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
Randy, years ago I was getting frustrated by our starters so we decided to change the way we did it. After the three minutes expired following the red smoke, The starter directed the pace boat driver to turn up course, off plane. The starter did not let the driver plane off until all the race boats were slotted on the line. Once we all planed off we picked up a little speed and then threw the flag. No charging, starts were safe and looked great. What happened today was ludicrous, and putting two vees in with 170mph cats was dangerous. It should not surprise anyone that the two v-bottoms were involved in wrecks.
I always appreciated the starts at the APBA LLC races. As a racer there is no worse feeling then getting screwed at the start because the start boat just cant wait to go green.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

HDB put a post on Facebook and a pic in the comments clearly shows the cms hit the fountain. Lucas oil was off the track at this point to the stbd side. Regardless of experience behind the helm that was reckless and looks like a rookie trying.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got all that from a single photograph. Wow, I've been analyzing photo and video evidence for almost 20 years now and not once have I been able to draw such a definitive conclusion from a single photograph. Can you post the photo, please? If it's the one I saw, I was able to observe a few interesting things but could not draw any conclusions. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...c44836f1acc307

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.