Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high? >

Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high?

Notices

Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
How many folks complaining about the price of a major boating Poker Run/Event have actually tried putting one on?
When was the last time you tried to make 300-2000 people happy?
There should be a spelled out line item for "frustration costs" but no one would pay for that either.

FPC runs are the safest and most well organized events in the country. I've been to hundreds of events across the country and believe I have a fair pool too pull that opinion from. FPB charges a premium as they put on a premium event. It's as simple as that.
+1
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Yep, But if you check your map south Florida isn't just Miami. Personally I live in Boca Raton. I find the left coast of Florida to be about as much fun as watching paint dry.
I didn't know you lived in Bocur as in "hey Im from Lonnnggg Iland, goin down to Bocur for da weekend!"

I lived off 18th street east of 95 as a kid, then bought my first house in Boca Islands (east side of Camino Gardens on the other side of the El Rio Canal). I sold my house and my business there in 2001 and moved north to Jupiter.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Def don't need to check a map...I am aware and you are correct Boca is beautiful as well as a lot in that area.

I disagree all of left Florida is boring but to each their own there.

But Miami can still charge like was post $1k a night hotels.... Just don't get it.
1k hotels in South Beach on a busy week is normal at 5 star hotelsl (boat show week comes to mind) but the same applied for Naples, Key West, Palm Beach if there is a busy week then the hotels make their money. Someone was advertising "A TABLE" on a patio for the KW races and it was like $1200 which to me seemed insane. I think someone was holding a room for $2500 a night with a 5 night minimum.

Stay in South Beach and the room tax is like 14%, then $30+ resort fee, then $60 parking so you could be in the room for $1260+ a night even after you agree to pay the 1000 rate.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't want to make this a pissing contest, just some thoughts from my perspective. I have done a bunch of FPC events. FPC does s great job with the venues and organizing the events. I have no issues with the "for profit" concept. But let's face it, Poker Runs been going in a different direction in the past 4-5 + years then prior. That's ok too, times do change. My issues are the fees. Not the initial entry, it is what it is, if it's a lot, don't do it. It's not for everyone, but may be it should be. I do have an issue with tacking on the "additional insurance requirements" and that FPC will not take my corporate umbrella coverage for my boat. They are making me buy boat specific insurance to do their events, while my boat is insured under my corporate policy. So it costs me an additional 3-4K a year if I want to do FPC events., even if it's only1 or 2. Apples to apples!? Poker runs have changed. Long ago we all did the runs to meet new friend, meet up with old once and get out on the water. Show off the boats, engines and all the LEDs we play with. Fun times, but lately the middle and the smaller guys really been put on the back burners as far as attention etc. I suggest to increase the cost on the big boys and lower the cost on the little guys. If the fee is $700+- there is no apples to apples. A 48' NT (or whatever) get's a lot more catering by FPC then a 28' XYZ boat, yet the fee is the same. Let's use a fee based on length. For talking purposes $20 per foot. THe big boys won't care and there would be a lot more attendees. Then the additional crew cost. Pretty hefty for a dinner and a "T". The "additional crew" really has no additional cost to FPC besides the shirts and dinner. While FPC provides most of the "services" etc. blocked out hotels and discounts on the room are not all that big deal. FPC makes a deal with the host hotel and gets their rooms comped. It might be convenience for some of the members but I always had cheaper rooms in the same hotels since I belong to many of hotel clubs/memberships. I even tried to help Jackie reducing the room costs. Now we get to catering to the big boys. Even when I pay for the additional "Vid" coverage, I get almost nothing. A few seconds of run time, while the "big boys" in the vids 10X longer. The excuse I get is there wasn't "time" left, I even understand the "big boys" attitude as it comes to business, but all this makes the run less fun and enjoyable. I don't mind running in the middle of the pack, but there is NO middle left. The fee structure and the lack of service to the middle and the "little" guys pretty much made this the big boys event. Just look at the size of boats in the last KW run. The entertainment and the fun went out the door. FPC does a great job doing what they do and the entry fee is what it is and it's ok, but if I'm not having fun and most of my "middle" friends are gone from it, my interests diminished. Don't get me wrong, many of the "big boys" are my friends too, it's just not the same anymore. I wish all the best to FPC but I suggest some changes, that's all and just my 02.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my house over 20 years ago. Quite the investment that will pay off when I sell it. No New Yawker here. But surrounded by them. Florida (redneck) boy here.

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I didn't know you lived in Bocur as in "hey Im from Lonnnggg Iland, goin down to Bocur for da weekend!"

I lived off 18th street east of 95 as a kid, then bought my first house in Boca Islands (east side of Camino Gardens on the other side of the El Rio Canal). I sold my house and my business there in 2001 and moved north to Jupiter.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Complaining about the FPC fees to me is parallel to complaining about the cost of a new Skater/OL/etc when you are not in the financial position to buy one... FPC is the OL of the poker runs.... they do a great job.... go to the worlds in Key West as a spectator & you will see the PR is as entertaining if not more than the races themselves.... point being go to the runs that fit your budget.... most of us try to buy a boat that we can afford.((most?).... so do the same with the Poker runs you attend....
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Don't want to make this a pissing contest, just some thoughts from my perspective. I have done a bunch of FPC events. FPC does s great job with the venues and organizing the events. I have no issues with the "for profit" concept. But let's face it, Poker Runs been going in a different direction in the past 4-5 + years then prior. That's ok too, times do change. My issues are the fees. Not the initial entry, it is what it is, if it's a lot, don't do it. It's not for everyone, but may be it should be. I do have an issue with tacking on the "additional insurance requirements" and that FPC will not take my corporate umbrella coverage for my boat. They are making me buy boat specific insurance to do their events, while my boat is insured under my corporate policy. So it costs me an additional 3-4K a year if I want to do FPC events., even if it's only1 or 2. Apples to apples!? Poker runs have changed. Long ago we all did the runs to meet new friend, meet up with old once and get out on the water. Show off the boats, engines and all the LEDs we play with. Fun times, but lately the middle and the smaller guys really been put on the back burners as far as attention etc. I suggest to increase the cost on the big boys and lower the cost on the little guys. If the fee is $700+- there is no apples to apples. A 48' NT (or whatever) get's a lot more catering by FPC then a 28' XYZ boat, yet the fee is the same. Let's use a fee based on length. For talking purposes $20 per foot. THe big boys won't care and there would be a lot more attendees. Then the additional crew cost. Pretty hefty for a dinner and a "T". The "additional crew" really has no additional cost to FPC besides the shirts and dinner. While FPC provides most of the "services" etc. blocked out hotels and discounts on the room are not all that big deal. FPC makes a deal with the host hotel and gets their rooms comped. It might be convenience for some of the members but I always had cheaper rooms in the same hotels since I belong to many of hotel clubs/memberships. I even tried to help Jackie reducing the room costs. Now we get to catering to the big boys. Even when I pay for the additional "Vid" coverage, I get almost nothing. A few seconds of run time, while the "big boys" in the vids 10X longer. The excuse I get is there wasn't "time" left, I even understand the "big boys" attitude as it comes to business, but all this makes the run less fun and enjoyable. I don't mind running in the middle of the pack, but there is NO middle left. The fee structure and the lack of service to the middle and the "little" guys pretty much made this the big boys event. Just look at the size of boats in the last KW run. The entertainment and the fun went out the door. FPC does a great job doing what they do and the entry fee is what it is and it's ok, but if I'm not having fun and most of my "middle" friends are gone from it, my interests diminished. Don't get me wrong, many of the "big boys" are my friends too, it's just not the same anymore. I wish all the best to FPC but I suggest some changes, that's all and just my 02.

^^^^^^^^^ Agreed as I have stated I do not have as much a problem with the entry fee as I do the $350.00 per extra person fee. I have been to very nice restaurants all over the company and it did not cost me that much a plate for a very good meal!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

* Country
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Is';t this like asking why can't the Ritz charge the same as Holiday Inn, for us little guys???
Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Registered

Its funny how the guys that see no problem with the fees are the very ones that are being catered too!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.