Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame??? >

Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame???

Notices

Engine builder thread, good? bad? what is a good time frame???

Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Johnson
Teague Custom Marine did complete refresh on the drivetrain in my DCB in 45 days from start to finish. Fresh motors, trannys, service drives, and a fair amount of new rigging for water and fuel delivery. Got the chance to run the boat and it is absolutely perfect, Great experience and great service!

It seems there is always much talk about engine builders which I always enjoy reading about. That said, there seems to be very little discussion around the "real" value of our boats after we have invested in new/rebuild power from an aftermarket provider. This seems to be an commonly overlooked consideration for many while going through the decision making process and deciding on an engine builder/shop, but this decision can have real consequences to the resale value of your boat. IMHO when one go's to sell their boat, to get top dollar the boat needs to have Mercury power and if not Mercury it better be very well known aftermarket. Boats that have some very capable but lesser known engine packages really struggle to sell and when they do sell usually not at top $. Just my opinion but case in point, on the West Coast when you are talking the more high end boats this element certainly applies. I have a friend that recently replaced his "little known" engines in his DCB to Teague just for the resale marketing elements.
Must be nice to be able to repower just for the sake of resale.... that's baller status! Lol
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had great results with Tony at CMS ( Chesapeake Marine Service ) in Middle river MD , and Dave at MDG Performance in Edgewater MD . In the past , I dropped off my boat in the fall and picked it up in the spring from either . Both are close and built me reliable big power that performed flawless . A big plus is they install ,service , and maintain what they build . I like dealing with one local company that can handle with as many of the boats needs as possible , rigging , motors ect .
Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a baller move, simply could not sell the boat for nearly what it was worth with the engines that were in it. Boat had great timeless graphics, 6 drives and all the nice stuff but no one was interested in the boat with lesser known engines. Fast forward with Teague engines, lots of interest in the boat and price was where it should be.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don Johnson
Teague Custom Marine did complete refresh on the drivetrain in my DCB in 45 days from start to finish. Fresh motors, trannys, service drives, and a fair amount of new rigging for water and fuel delivery. Got the chance to run the boat and it is absolutely perfect, Great experience and great service!

It seems there is always much talk about engine builders which I always enjoy reading about. That said, there seems to be very little discussion around the "real" value of our boats after we have invested in new/rebuild power from an aftermarket provider. This seems to be an commonly overlooked consideration for many while going through the decision making process and deciding on an engine builder/shop, but this decision can have real consequences to the resale value of your boat. IMHO when one go's to sell their boat, to get top dollar the boat needs to have Mercury power and if not Mercury it better be very well known aftermarket. Boats that have some very capable but lesser known engine packages really struggle to sell and when they do sell usually not at top $. Just my opinion but case in point, on the West Coast when you are talking the more high end boats this element certainly applies. I have a friend that recently replaced his "little known" engines in his DCB to Teague just for the resale marketing elements.
Great post and so true. To add to this, the "quality builder" will have all kinds of documentation- a complete parts list, dyno sheets, etc. And maybe above all, be willing to talk to a potential buyer and give them a comfort level which will help the price-point and sale.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time frames can be relative to the shop, project, season, parts availability, and of course the ability of the customer to pay as well. 12+ months is obviously the exception, but can't be completely discarded as plausible without knowing all the details.

Even highly skilled, accomplished, and respected machinist/builders can only produce so much work in a given normal work week and if they are doing everything from disassembly to final assembly themselves, then it's hard to compare their delivery times vs. a larger shop that has assigned techs for every stage of the process. Volume of work coming in the door, seasonal influx, etc. all impact delivery times as well, not to mention the type of engines coming in the door. Cranking out 10 crate type small blocks is a lot different than building a high end performance engine. But given all that, most any competent shop can hit a reasonable completion window within a few days, which in most cases should range from 6 weeks to 6 months.

Having spent enough time on both sides of the counter, I understand both sides of most situations and try to be realistic about expectations and what's normal and what's unrealistic- especially when it comes to motorsports related situations. As it relates to the posted topic, I'll give kudos to TA Racing Engines for anything from basic auto/marine engine refresh, to vintage concours restoration rebuilds, to custom one-off race engines, to performance Harley work. Small shop, 30 yrs industry experience, proving high value and high performance can co-exist.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Just picked my engine up today. Bored .030, block decked, heads resurfaced, new intake valves and guides installed, crankshaft polished and rebalanced. 6 week turnaround time. Very acceptable I think.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 03-11-2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling