Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial >

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Notices

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the Divers have to practice Dunk Tank resques like the Racers have to Practice (Pass) the Dunk Test?? Is there record of him having this training?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU cannot sign your life away! that is a fact you have an expectation of rescue.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
from Matt's article: helicopter-deployed divers known as "angels" should have been able to retrieve Gratton from his sinking boat more quickly. Instead, Barnhart said, race organizers deployed Mike Haugh, a diver with no specialized rescue training who worked professionally as a tattoo artist, from a safety boat.

Mike might be a great guy, but he might have not been the best guy for the mission at hand "with no specialized rescue training"

1. Not stopping the race while a guy is drowning seems wrong.......there isn't a trophy in the world worth someone's life
2. Chopper dropped diver would have been there in seconds, how long for a boat to arrive to drop diver?

While no money in the world will bring Gratton back, it sends a message to the organizers that safety is worth more than profits.....
You make very valid points however, with your extensive knowledge, I am sure you also remember the rules in APBA, LLC at one time that in the event of an accident the trailing race boat was asked to stop and render assistance, the boat assisting will be able to maintain their position. How trained in rescue were the racers themselves? How did anyone know in fact if someone is actually drowning? There is approx 10-15 minutes of air with the scuba system in each boat, plus the recommendation to carry a Spare Air type bottle which provides 3-4 minutes of air. I have raced in lids and open and I have never worn a scuba tank on my back during a race. I am also sure you remember that Mr Allweiss himself was president of APBA, LLC and enforced and/or wrote these rules.

I have no dog in the fight, it is now in the hands of a jury, its now Mr Alweiss' job to prove "beyond any reasonable doubt" that negligence took place on the part of the defendants. It can go either way and as I said above, no matter the result, it will be a lose lose scenario
Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
You make very valid points however, with your extensive knowledge, I am sure you also remember the rules in APBA, LLC at one time that in the event of an accident the trailing race boat was asked to stop and render assistance, the boat assisting will be able to maintain their position. How trained in rescue were the racers themselves? How did anyone know in fact if someone is actually drowning? There is approx 10-15 minutes of air with the scuba system in each boat, plus the recommendation to carry a Spare Air type bottle which provides 3-4 minutes of air. I have raced in lids and open and I have never worn a scuba tank on my back during a race. I am also sure you remember that Mr Allweiss himself was president of APBA, LLC and enforced and/or wrote these rules.

I have no dog in the fight, it is now in the hands of a jury, its now Mr Alweiss' job to prove "beyond any reasonable doubt" that negligence took place on the part of the defendants. It can go either way and as I said above, no matter the result, it will be a lose lose scenario
I would rather have my life in the hands of a fellow racer than "Mike the tattoo artist"........the racer has sat in your seat, knows how to get the lid/hatch open from the inside and/or the outside and certainly understands the "time is crucial" concept on an upside down boat filling with water......

I am certainly not a racer but from an outsiders point of view it appears mistakes have been made and the Mr Gratton is indeed dead. The attorneys are going to spin this to their favor but dead guys aren't going to improve the viability of offshore powerboat racing in any class/venue.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No need for speculation on any of this. There is a copy of the complaint in the other thread. Anyone who's really interested can read the specific claims and why they are being made. Should be required reading before posting.

Last edited by bck; 01-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Maybe his partner should of stayed with him, and helped him get out, and he might be alive.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 01-14-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

I would rather have my life in the hands of a fellow racer than "Mike the tattoo artist"........the racer has sat in your seat, knows how to get the lid/hatch open from the inside and/or the outside and certainly understands the "time is crucial" concept on an upside down boat filling with water......

I am certainly not a racer but from an outsiders point of view it appears mistakes have been made and the Mr Gratton is indeed dead. The attorneys are going to spin this to their favor but dead guys aren't going to improve the viability of offshore powerboat racing in any class/venue.
After that statement no wonder you dont run a race orig. or race
So you think we don't need resuce, that the racers should just stop and help each other....great input lol
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You seem to be hung up on the fact that Mike is a tattoo artist.... Hell I have a lawn company which allows me to live comfortably and the privilege to race.. So what your saying is oops now that I know F1-00 is a lawn guy, hes not qualified to rescue either... Dont judge a book by its cover.. Mike chose tattoos as his profession, kudos to him... yeah Im a lawn guy with a computer engineering degree that used to work for Microsoft... go ahead and rag my chosen profession...

I forgot to add above that APBA, LLC rescinded the rule of the trailing boat rendering assistance after 4-5 races as it happened once and the race boat rendering assistance got in the way of the proper rescue team and delayed a rescue, but I am sure that wont be brought up in court ...

We can go back and forth all day long and you can find fault till the cows come home, but it accomplishes nothing and wont bring a man that we all loved back, nor the people that aren't talked about, JT and Bob... May they all rest in peace and this lawsuit be over sooner than later so we can go forward in our lives. When I had my accident at turn 1, Key West 2010, I was very pleased with the rescue efforts
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Not bagging on the tattoo artist......I would just want a guy with formal rescue diver training to be doing the job!

Just like if I go to the Dr, I want a Dr. If I need a mechanic, I need a guy trained to work on cars.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

We are letting the lawyer's words get into our heads. Which is what they are paid to do.

Bottom line, I can see both sides of this controversy. As a racer, I would know that every time I go out there may be my last. However, I would also expect the organization to have properly trained rescue crews. I can't say if there was or was not that day, as I don't have enough information. I am not going to base my opinion on opening statements from attorneys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.