Like Tree38Likes

140mph 22ft I/o ??????

Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 PM
Registered

My Boat: 21' Revolution 09' (Name Revolution Racing)

Originally Posted by River_Runner View Post
They run an Australian made Bullet 21'
Bullet is only one manufacturer over here on the I/O ski race market and by no means the biggest seller!
FYI the only reason they dont run longer is rules limit them to 21' from nose to back of running surface.
These days it probably goes in this order (I/O configuration):
1. Force Boats (by a long way, probably have 80-90% of the market right now) (they make everything from an 18-24 footer. The topend guys running big power mostly run their 21 and 23 which is technically a 21 bottom with buit in pod and higher sides)
2. Velocity (relatively new and arguably a knockoff of a Force with mods)
3. Connelly (one of the oldest running makes in competitive ski racing, one several world titles over the years. Older design but proven fast and good handling boat. Downside is its high speed cornering ability vs the new shapes.)
4. Bullet Boats (Just released a 2150 which is technically 21'. Relatively unproven so far. 1st one crashed in its 3rd outing and sunk. Cause still being investigated as it resulted in fatality. Again, looks very much like a Force knockoff!?)
Revolution
Cyclone Boats (one a world water ski racing title in 1999 and just released a brand new 21. 1st I/O hasnt even hit the water yet.)
There is plenty others but the above are the main players.

I should note these boats run anything from NA 6litre engines right through to 1800hp 572CI (Max allowable cubic capacity). Mercurys 1350 packages are very popular these days for their ease of setup, reliability and ability to run pump gas. Top speeds of the boats is arguable as they are setup for ski racing not boat racing but they have been clocked at 139mph towing 2 skiers and regularly sustain 120+mph in races. I have no doubt some could easily break 150mph!
The most impressive thing these days with the newer hull designs is their cornering speed in rivers. The boats go around like they are on rails where they used to purpoise when you pushed them in too hard and sometimes spin out.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Registered

My Boat: 77 tahiti squirt boat

I would like to see the bottom of the boat , ill bet blueprinted is a understatement .and ill bet it now handles rough water like a early '80s stars and stripes .
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Registered

My Boat: 77 tahiti squirt boat

I remember the guy up in nh 20 years ago that got 99 out of a 20' sea ray custom shortened merc outdrive that was something there .he has got to be on this forum somewhere
Old 01-16-2015, 01:28 AM
JMP
Registered

Check out this Glastron
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=89e_1310693288
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1995 fountain 24cs 1988 glasstroncarlson 16

Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Thats cool I have one with a 90 johnson on it .
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1997 Checkmate Convincor 253

Originally Posted by payuppsucker View Post
There's a guy on here that had a twin turboed LS motor in a Checkmate that ran up there pretty good. I think he was over 1500hp in front of a wet sump #6. Screen name Checkmate ???.
Check300
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton View Post
Bullet is only one manufacturer over here on the I/O ski race market and by no means the biggest seller!
FYI the only reason they dont run longer is rules limit them to 21' from nose to back of running surface.
1. Force Boats (by a long way, probably have 80-90% of the market right now) (they make everything from an 18-24 footer. The topend guys running big power mostly run their 21 and 23 which is technically a 21 bottom with buit in pod and higher sides)
3. Connelly (one of the oldest running makes in competitive ski racing, one several world titles over the years. Older design but proven fast and good handling boat. Downside is its high speed cornering ability vs the new shapes.)
4. Bullet Boats (Just released a 2150 which is technically 21'. Relatively unproven so far. 1st one crashed in its 3rd outing and sunk. Cause still being investigated as it resulted in fatality. Again, looks very much like a Force knockoff!?)
Revolution
Cyclone Boats (one a world water ski racing title in 1999 and just released a brand new 21. 1st I/O hasnt even hit the water yet.)

I should note these boats run anything from NA 6litre engines right through to 1800hp 572CI (Max allowable cubic capacity). Mercurys 1350 packages are very popular these days for their ease of setup, reliability and ability to run pump gas. Top speeds of the boats is arguable as they are setup for ski racing not boat racing but they have been clocked at 139mph towing 2 skiers and regularly sustain 120+mph in races. I have no doubt some could easily break 150mph!
The most impressive thing these days with the newer hull designs is their cornering speed in rivers. The boats go around like they are on rails where they used to purpoise when you pushed them in too hard and sometimes spin out.
My 22 is single stepped hull I guess contributes it getting squirrelly above 80mph. My question to you is do any of these competitive ski boats run extension boxes? Do they lower the x dimension to gain
More control? Other than running huge hp engines packed in small hull's what does it take for these boats to get to and handle at the speeds they run? 100 or 110+
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM
SB
Registered

Let's not forget Geoo with his Mighty Mouse ! One, if not the, most famous small Donzi's ever.

Click for larger picture: http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/GEO.jpg

Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

My Boat: 3600 Nor-tech Super Cat

Sammie Nassar was no joke, I bought my first new boat from him a 1989 Checkmate 25 Convincer. In 1990 I took over his shop Action Marine and opened Action Auto & Marine repair. At the time Sammie had a very fast small Checkmate and a 30 Cat with 2 twin turbo 1100+ HP engines that ran over 140 MPH. He did a lot of custom work for Merc at lake X and knew how to get speed out of a boat.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered

My Boat: Pachanga 22

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton View Post
Revolution

All of those boats are truly works of art. I know I love watching all the sprints online (southern 80)
Thanks for the good info!

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser