Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who Has The Best Pricing on XR Drives and Parts? >

Who Has The Best Pricing on XR Drives and Parts?

Notices

Who Has The Best Pricing on XR Drives and Parts?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Dick Tryce Mr. Gadgets knows as much as anyone about Bravos and a fair dealer. I'll second Quinlans' SCX rec.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought 2 XRs from Gavin Marine as well.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Registered

I just ordered a HP transom assembly from Mike Wood at costal marine export, great guy to talk to, super helpfull and good prices.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys, I've got some calls to make this week. Keep the recommendations coming if you have any.

Right now I've got bravo one uppers and I've actually had pretty good luck with them overall. I just built a set of fresh motors and want to upgrade to the XR uppers. I already have fresh XR lowers but wouldn't mind a set of shorties if I could find a good price on those as well.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Registered

CME. Mike is the man.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by richanton
Thanks for the info guys, I've got some calls to make this week. Keep the recommendations coming if you have any.

Right now I've got bravo one uppers and I've actually had pretty good luck with them overall. I just built a set of fresh motors and want to upgrade to the XR uppers.
I already have fresh XR lowers but wouldn't mind a set of shorties if I could find a
good price on those as well.
xrs would be a great upgrade for you, but before you go throwing money at shorties check with jason at brand x about setup. Reason being, is for every action there is a reaction, you may gain speed but lose your ability to plane. Find out where your drive height needs to be not where everyone thinks it will be. Thats going to depend on what range you want to use the boat in, if your cruising and enjoying with occaisional bursts at wot, then you may want to be a little more conservative. Research before buying never hurts.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

As I recall you had 500's in your 37. I don't know if you have bumped the hp up with the new engines you've had built, but if so I would strongly consider upgrading to the IMCO SCX uppers as mentioned above. Not only are they MUCH stronger, but they will help with resale as well. In fact regardless if you're adding more power or not, if you're spending the $, get the SCX uppers rather than wasting it on those garbage XR's. Just my 2 cents...

BTW, I have a few more trips planned for coming back down there over the next few months (including the PR and a run over to Bimini) so lets stay in touch...
Old 02-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I bought an XR from Gavin but they had not done the input brg preload nut fix and the nut backed out and took out the drive after 3 seasons so be aware that you need to fix that issue. Victory opens them up and hard shims the input bearings. Both companies are good but be sure that nut is at least loc-tited and preferably hard shimmed.
That's a Mercury issue with all of them. I disassembled all of them and reset them back up. Clearances and rolling torque were all over the place. I finally learned why some of them last longer than others.