Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Info and pics on the Sonic cat. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/323133-info-pics-sonic-cat.html)

offshoredrillin 02-15-2015 07:57 PM

Info and pics on the Sonic cat.

Who has close ups and info on it, looks kind of nice in the pics...

NASCAT 02-15-2015 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hearing its a spin off of the Target Cat mold. $225k w/ Merc 520's & Bravos as pictured here. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it as it's not the boat for me but it certainly looked like allot of boat for the $$ in a very current design (flat deck & wraparound windscreen) Tunnel seemed very wide in comparison to my Skater 30.

315duramax 02-15-2015 08:34 PM

isnt target cat that canadian boat that splashed a recent skater?

love the look, but totally un original IMO

NASCAT 02-15-2015 08:36 PM

Shame on them if that's what they did. If the boat performs & handles decent & doesn't require a tunnel tab its a home run price point wise for the size, styling & HP.

Jupiter Sunsation 02-15-2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4265422)
Shame on them if that's what they did. If the boat performs & handles decent & doesn't require a tunnel tab its a home run price point wise for the size, styling & HP.

Price/quality is irrelevant since manufacturer can't deliver!

This boat needs Cobra power and should be pulled by a team of unicorns!

NASCAT 02-15-2015 09:00 PM

Ouch!

Well they can deliver 1!

Jupiter Sunsation 02-15-2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4265433)
Ouch!

Well they can deliver 1!

Sure if it has clear title, no vendor liens on it.

Chuck is still waiting for his 4 yr old used boat despite paying for a new one years ago!

NASCAT 02-15-2015 09:44 PM

I hear you I've followed that thread. It's unfortunate to say the least.

Plowtownmissile 02-15-2015 10:26 PM

I like it. Very attractive boat and a really attractive price. From what people on here said first-hand about the Target cats, they ran really hard compared to others (Motion/Spectre) with the same power.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...sclmctdil.jpeg

27Fountain 02-16-2015 02:16 AM

They had a display inside at the boat show $50,000. They had three boats on display. all complete the V bottom had mercury 1100 and it sold at the show. They are still building the boats in Ft. pierce. Both boats looked modern with wrap around windshields interior and cabin in the V looked good the sonic bottom had steps don't think the old sonic did. Maybe they got thru there problems. Some one there is trying and has spent some money.There are only a hand full of performance boat at the boat show any more They were not only there they were inside. I guess we will have to wait to see how it all plays out.

precisiondetails 02-16-2015 03:09 AM

I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater. Even the bottom, 5 steps and identical angles. They bought the mold from Target is what I was told. Good price point or not. I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here

offshoredrillin 02-16-2015 06:50 AM

Who actually built the boat then would be my next question, where was lay up done?

Speedracer29 02-16-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4265494)
I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater.......... I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here

I completely agree, that's why I'm waiting to find a completely restored Cary, not one of those copy-cat Cigarettes....
Maybe if I find one I can race you in your original Bertram.... :picard1:

I guess IF they can deliver, and the layup and rigging are of good quality, the Kia/Benz comparison is moot, but only time will tell.

BONDO10 02-16-2015 07:50 AM

The Cat is stunning. I watched it come together as well as my boat, the 42 V bottom with 1100 QC4V 's. Not going to get into any internet drama, but I will say , the whole experience was outstanding. I did not buy the boat at the show, I had it built. The guys from the factory brought the sold sign to the show. It wasn't put on the boat until I arrived there Friday. They wanted to take pics , and give me the full "new boat" experience. The boat far exceeds my expectations. Tony, Bruce, Omar, and the rest of the crew went above and beyond. Can't say enough good things about them. Fineline did a beautiful job on the interior as well. We should be testing in two weeks. I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

315duramax 02-16-2015 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4265494)
I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater. Even the bottom, 5 steps and identical angles. They bought the mold from Target is what I was told. Good price point or not. I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here

wouldnt it be a benz with a kia logo if its essentially an exact copy? :angry-smiley-038:

anyways, i know for years most boats were splashes of other boats with some changes... but where does the legality line get crossed with exact copies?! im surprised skater hasnt made a fit about this yet. maybe they have i dont know?

fastdonzi 02-16-2015 10:43 AM

A Sonikater, Sounds perverted :)

JRider 02-16-2015 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 315duramax (Post 4265620)
wouldnt it be a benz with a kia logo if its essentially an exact copy? :angry-smiley-038:

anyways, i know for years most boats were splashes of other boats with some changes... but where does the legality line get crossed with exact copies?! im surprised skater hasnt made a fit about this yet. maybe they have i dont know?

Wonder if its because it was splashed across the border?

BONDO10 02-16-2015 10:55 AM

The 32 Sonic cat is a splash of a Target, which is a Skater splash. Peter from Skater came to the Sonic booth, checked out the boat, and wished them luck with it. He had zero problems with how it came about. If Peter Hledlin is ok with it I don't see a problem.

precisiondetails 02-16-2015 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 315duramax (Post 4265620)

Lol- yes good point. It was early. Flying back home to the west coast.

Yes your right a Benz with Kia logo.

JRider 02-16-2015 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BONDO10 (Post 4265645)
The 32 Sonic cat is a splash of a Target, which is a Skater splash. Peter from Skater came to the Sonic booth, checked out the boat, and wished them luck with it. He had zero problems with how it came about. If Peter Hledlin is ok with it I don't see a problem.

Hmmm, he sure had a problem with the Big Cat Nordic splashed. I am sure it would never cross his mind to contact his legal connections....

Sydwayz 02-16-2015 11:30 AM

Why was there not even one single logo on ANY of the boats?
What brand are they? Did anyone see a HIN?

Knot 4 Me 02-16-2015 11:37 AM

Pretty sure the deck shot of the cat shows SONIC on it.

precisiondetails 02-16-2015 11:42 AM

Peter is probably used to it by now. I mean 1st the Victory boats then US based Victory aka Mti, and on from there. Reggies bottoms were copied too. Boats are like the NFL aka copy cat league! If it works so it!

BONDO10 02-16-2015 11:45 AM

On the 42, it's on both sides of the hatch

stimleck 02-16-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4265449)
I hear you I've followed that thread. It's unfortunate to say the least.

Please post a link tio the thread im hapoy to spread the word about pieces of crap

stimleck 02-16-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain (Post 4265492)
They had a display inside at the boat show $50,000. They had three boats on display. all complete the V bottom had mercury 1100 and it sold at the show. They are still building the boats in Ft. pierce. Both boats looked modern with wrap around windshields interior and cabin in the V looked good the sonic bottom had steps don't think the old sonic did. Maybe they got thru there problems. Some one there is trying and has spent some money.There are only a hand full of performance boat at the boat show any more They were not only there they were inside. I guess we will have to wait to see how it all plays out.

I guess we will be hearing about an investor that got screwed soon also

stimleck 02-16-2015 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BONDO10 (Post 4265645)

Wanna buy some swamp land?

precisiondetails 02-16-2015 07:02 PM

Well from my source, Target sold it to Sonic

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-16-2015 08:13 PM

Who is the owner or owners of Sonic now?

NASCAT 02-16-2015 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by stimleck (Post 4265713)
Please post a link tio the thread im hapoy to spread the word about pieces of crap

PM Chuck he'll get you poined in the right direction

Nmbr1GMfan 02-16-2015 08:45 PM

To me... the deck looked terribly wavy, needs a busy wrap to cover it up.

Cash Bar 02-16-2015 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 4265970)
To me... the deck looked terribly wavy, needs a busy wrap to cover it up.

Then it stands to reason that Sonic/Frisini did the layup. I was hoping it was done at Mystic or another quality 3rd-party place.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 02-16-2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 4265981)
Then it stands to reason that Sonic/Frisini did the layup. I was hoping it was done at Mystic or another quality 3rd-party place.

Does Frisini own Sonic or has it been bought by someone else.

UR2late 02-16-2015 09:18 PM

Nordic bought the mold from Peter. Him and Nordic have a great relationship. Nice try though.

TeamSaris 02-16-2015 09:18 PM

Nordic asked permission to copy a 40 when they built their 43...different deal. Target was a splash of a 32.

44MTI 02-16-2015 09:41 PM

I didn't know the story on it, but my myself and one of the biggest boat dealer ever went looked at it and thought it looked pretty damn good. Real good for $225K. He was concerned about the weight, but said he could sell them all day long for that price. I thought it was a lot of Boat for the money.

NASCAT 02-16-2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 44MTI (Post 4266000)
I didn't know the story on it, but my myself and one of the biggest boat dealer ever went looked at it and thought it looked pretty damn good. Real good for $225K. He was concerned about the weight, but said he could sell them all day long for that price. I thought it was a lot of Boat for the money.

+1 on bang for the buck but speaking from experience the bravos on a 32 cat will be the weak link and potentially spoil what should be an exciting new purchase.

FlyenBrian 02-16-2015 09:59 PM

This thread has quickly diverged into "people who would like to see the brand/any performance boats/obtainable cats" move forward and "people and their friends who have agendas (possibly well justified) against the current owners. For those of us that don't know all the back stories, could you just preface you posts one way or another, Thank you.

Plowtownmissile 02-16-2015 10:34 PM

What would a new 32 Skater flat deck HULL on a trailer cost new? I'd bet more than that Sonic cat complete. Seems like ALOT of bang for the buck. The 525/XR Target cats supposedly ran about 120mph. All it'd take to find out for sure is to call Larry Goldman and ask since he's been around a few.

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4265669)
Peter is probably used to it by now. I mean 1st the Victory boats then US based Victory aka Mti, and on from there. Reggies bottoms were copied too. Boats are like the NFL aka copy cat league! If it works so it!

You nailed it. You forgot to mention the Motion/Spectre derivatives that are Skater based though. If people are going to not buy a boat because it was splashed off a Skater hull, it'd eliminate a bunch of brands.

315duramax 02-16-2015 11:32 PM

Not trying to thread jack here, but is there any threads talking about real world situations with splashing other hulls? Say like theortically, I bought a ts cig vice and splashed it, built an entry level v hull. (Theoretically) since cig doesn't and hasn't made a 30 vice for some time, is there any legal reprecussions or like normal patents needing to change 20 or 30% ? I would just be curious or is it all fair game ?