Maybe slow down a bit in the fog? >

Maybe slow down a bit in the fog?

Notices

Maybe slow down a bit in the fog?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenncal1
Hey he just thought the light from the restraunt was the channel marker, easy mistake for a 20yr licensed captain
No kidding-

With todays electronics packages he could have likely seen exactly where he was.

I can with my stuff - all the new stuff will overlay the radar on the map - my grandma could navigate with todays tech.

No excuse for running aground at speed with a full suite of modern gear.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-24-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

"Any time you strike a beach, you should be paying attention to where you're going."

I think at that point you are just holding on for the ride.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
FWIW, according to local news boat was operated by a "Licensed and Insured Captain with 20 years experience" and "No alcohol involved".
Just because he had a Captains licence doesn't mean chit. I have a friend who has had his for 15 years that I wouldn't put him in a rowboat floating in a Kiddie pool because he would be likely to hurt himself.

Every azzhat that moved to Florida has one because they are going into the charter biz with their fishing boat.

They used to give them out on the back of Cracker Jacks boxes back in the day here.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

My neighbors blues band plays there about every other weekend? At least the tiki bar should still be open.......Running on plane in reduced visibility and a supposed experienced boat Captain in charge? At least this moron did not kill anybody.......
Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

dropping that thing into dock is easier than a video game if you just use your equipment.

UD
Attached Thumbnails Maybe slow down a bit in the fog?-avalon-bay.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Pea soup fog means no wake speed for me. Actually the only time I hated the sound of my engines was in pea soup fog, I'd turn them off frequently to listen for other ships/boats and also sound my horn. Nothing to screw around with, no excuse for this to happen equipment or not.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went out on the ocean about 25 miles offshore in my Cigarette years ago, hot, lazy summer day, hardly a ripple on the water. Shut off the engine, listened to NOAA, had lunch and fell asleep on the deck...drifting along. Felt cool, woke up and the ocean was covered in dense fog. Started the engine, turned on the running lights and followed the compass heading slowly to shore (many hours later)
No panic, but certainly no high speed nonsense.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 02-24-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing he didn't run an Apache aground, would have caused an earthquake that would have caused the entire building to collapse. Not to mention the damage to all of the other buildings in the area........ Sorry, haven't seen or heard an Apache thread in a while and seeing your signature, Comanche3six triggered it.....,
Old 02-24-2015, 02:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
dropping that thing into dock is easier than a video game if you just use your equipment.

UD
Unless he had his Auto Routes Map on vs Bluewater. LOL.

Explains driving up to the drive thru.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Good thing he didn't run an Apache aground, would have caused an earthquake that would have caused the entire building to collapse. Not to mention the damage to all of the other buildings in the area........ Sorry, haven't seen or heard an Apache thread in a while and seeing your signature, Comanche3six triggered it.....,
Same thought...

Good thing Chuck Norris wasn't driving the CC either. They would have cut a new canal across FL, we'd have a new Florida Key (everything south of Tampa/Palm Bay), and we'd still be chasing them as they headed towards Morocco.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.