Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing with the new H2 Hummer! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32381-towing-new-h2-hummer.html)

Jeffrey 09-05-2002 11:42 AM

Towing with the new H2 Hummer!

1 Attachment(s)
Okay boys ... this is going to be a good one. My partner just purchased a brand spanking new YELLOW H2 Hummer. The truck is one bad ass vehicle! It actually surprised me in many ways! If you think it even resembles previous H1 Hummers - think again. Other than the nameplate and a faint resemblance to its predecessor - the two have nothing in common.

Now here's where it's going to get good. He plans to tow his 1999 Cigarette Tiger (900SC's and Speedmaster #6 drives) on a 3500 pound Myco trailer around with this Hummer. Don't get me wrong - the Hummer is awesome and looks awesome attached to the boat and trailer (see pic). But are all of you thinking what I'm thinking?? 13,000 pounds + Hummer = HumCig mashed potatoes out in left field at the bottom of the grade?

Just curious what the masses think ... ha ha. he's going to give me hell for this!:D

283CHECK 09-05-2002 11:56 AM

What is the tow rating for that thing? Schweeeeet lookin set up, but just wonderin if it is over capacity??

rainmn 09-05-2002 11:57 AM

That really doesn't look like a good combo...
What is that thing rated for anyway?:eek:

BADA BING 09-05-2002 11:58 AM

Jeff, I am suprised...I thought with boat hooked up that thing would be riding on the rear tires, but it does not seem to be squatting that bad:eek: :confused:

However, when I look at that photo the only thing that comes to my mind is Tommy Boy (FAT GUY IN A LITTLE COAT):D :D
LITTLE TRUCK WITH A FAT BOAT:D :D

I think on the next Havasu trip...nobody will say to Jim...hey follow me:eek: :D

turbo2256 09-05-2002 12:01 PM

Hummmm...

dyno 09-05-2002 12:02 PM

that Tigre is going to sqwaaaash it like a grape!!!!!

GRH 09-05-2002 12:04 PM

Other then they're big blocks, what does it matter that they're 900SC's as far as towng is concerned?

29scarab 09-05-2002 12:06 PM

(chinese)

Conffussor say " MAN who toe cig with hummer end up with squashed toe!!!!:D :D

BAJA WILL 09-05-2002 12:08 PM

Pulling NOOO Problemmm,

Stopping theres the problem,

Very nice rig:p

Sean 09-05-2002 12:13 PM

If the total weigth was 6500lbs..he'd be okay...but my guess is that she weighs a weeee bit more than that...:D

Better get a smaller boat:eek: :eek: :eek:

dloftis 09-05-2002 12:17 PM

Um, 13,000 pounds with a Tahoe? I think not.

Tow rating on that thing is (IIRC) 8,500 or so.

CigDaze 09-05-2002 12:21 PM

Bad news...

Jeffrey 09-05-2002 12:22 PM

Originally posted by GRH
Other then they're big blocks, what does it matter that they're 900SC's as far as towng is concerned?
I only mentioned the drive and engine package as the combo obviously adds weight over a Bravo and 575 package.

dockrocker 09-05-2002 12:22 PM

Originally posted by dloftis
Um, 13,000 pounds with a Tahoe? I think not.

Tow rating on that thing is (IIRC) 8,500 or so.

Yep, the H2 is little more than a Hummer-esque body on a Tahoe chassis. I don't know too many people that tow a 42' boat with a Tahoe - at least, more than once!

Jeffrey 09-05-2002 12:28 PM

Originally posted by 283CHECK
What is the tow rating for that thing? Schweeeeet lookin set up, but just wonderin if it is over capacity??
The tow rating - according to the Hummer website - is 6500 pounds.

(http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/h2/specs/weights.jsp)

Maybe he can tow half a Tiger with one motor and one drive!:D

BadDog 09-05-2002 12:28 PM

I thought maybe he mentioned the Tiger power so we could look for it on BentBoat.com!

wannabe 09-05-2002 12:30 PM

Technically over the limit:

The Hummer's have a HD axle in the back and a 6 liter motor. For short trips he will be OK if he has brakes on all axles and set up correctly. Long trips, no. For that big a Cig. I would go dually.

Wannabe in Motor City

Dean Ferry 09-05-2002 12:36 PM

That boat is WAY TOO NICE to risk TOWING and STOPPING with the Hummer! Don't get me wrong, the Hummer looks nice, but that is not what that vehicle was designed for, IMHO!
MD

TulsaLarry 09-05-2002 12:37 PM

HMMM, I don't think so:

Weights & Capacities
GVWR Standard: 8600lbs.
Base Curb Weight: 6400lbs.
Trailer towing maximum: 6500lbs.
Winch capacity: 9000lbs.
Fuel tank capacity: 32 gal.

The winch has more towing capacity than the truck.

rick32 09-05-2002 12:45 PM

DANGEROUS.. is what I say..... GM took a std chasis and rush this thing to market.... they admit it !........... Its funny, you guys think I am nuts....

Be Careful.
Rick32

CJC 09-05-2002 12:51 PM

Looks like the boat is distributed real nice across the trailer -thus all 4 wheels making ground contact. Any vehicle can get a boat rolling.........but being in control????? :confused:

I think he's looking to add another yellow skid mark down the side!

Other than making for a real nice picture, the Hummer should stay in the driveway. If he has to stop fast, that Cig is gonna make that Hummer into a speed bump. :eek:

CJC

Airpacker 09-05-2002 12:54 PM

hope he has good insurance

Wally 09-05-2002 12:56 PM

I think the wheel base on that truck is too small to be handling that boat!!! If he's planning on driving it around the block...then go for it. It does kinda look cool. Anything other then that...no way i would try it! :)

Maximus 09-05-2002 01:41 PM

Wow!

Now I don't feel so bad. You see I just bought and H-2 as well and I was hoping I could pull my 36 spectre with it. 7200lbs +trailer(1800lbs) for a total weight of around 9000lbs. I was a little worried about the 6500lb tow rating.

My Expidition 235 hp 2wd air/susp pulls the package easily at 65+ mph

The Hummer has 316 hp. w/air susp and 4wheel drive

Do you think I should be concerned?

my trailer is a triple axle w/brakes

Maximus

GRH 09-05-2002 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Jeffrey

I only mentioned the drive and engine package as the combo obviously adds weight over a Bravo and 575 package.

And here I thought you were bragging;)

dockrocker 09-05-2002 01:54 PM

I think you're insurance company will be real happy when they don't have to pay the claim. Let's say you get in a wreck - they can deny your claim due to "reckless operation" since you are WAY over the tow rating on that vehicle.

Maybe I'm just a bit risk-adverse, but trailing a big ticket boat, with no insurance, using a vehicle that is not up to the job, just makes me a wee bit nervous.... Not to mention what happens if you injure or (God forbid) kill someone else in a wreck - can you say "lawsuit"?

I guess I don't understand how someone (general statement, not picking on Jeffery's partner or Maximus specifically) can drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on a boat, another 10 or 15 on a nice trailer, but puts the whole rig at risk by not spending 35 or 40K on a truck equipped to handle the load.

For a 42' boat on that trailer, he should be looking at a one ton truck, minimum. If it were me, I'd be looking into an F-450 or 550 for a little extra capacity (and peace of mind).

As always, YMMV...

PhantomChaos 09-05-2002 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jeffrey-

You should tell Jim that he might as well have gone for the Mercedes A-Class with a lift kit. I'm sure that is available in yellow too.........I mean that is why he got the H2 to pull the Tiger right? I think this thread is about 1 week too late.

:D :D :D :D

gmhdfan 09-05-2002 02:02 PM

Bet the tranny takes a **** before the brakes. Can you get an Allison in one of those? What kind of interior is in those new hummers? I thought it was hard getting in & out of a C3 Corvette until I got in a big Hummer.:) :cool:

Playn 09-05-2002 02:37 PM

I think it's gonna leave a little yellow mark..somewhere..

Wardey 09-05-2002 02:42 PM

I think he should give me the Tiger so I can tow it with my F350 ! Ton !!!!:D :D :D I hear the H2 is nothing more than a Tahoe with square body panels? I'm curious because the wife wants one. As for me, I will stay with my F350. Wardey

WARPAINT 09-05-2002 02:55 PM

Nooooooooo Prooooooblem!I tow my 8000 lb 28 APACHE with a Mazda Miata;)

bajadude 09-05-2002 03:20 PM

I think it's gonna leave a little yellow mark..somewhere..
... and big brown stains somewhere else:eek:

AttitudeAdjusta 09-05-2002 03:21 PM

I wouldn't even try that with my H1. It takes a 1 ton dually to tow my 35'. Good luck:D

Eman 09-05-2002 04:03 PM

BIG KAHUNNAS

Anything over 8500lbs. without a dually is asking for it! Let's just say for instance, The brakes stopped working....Make sure you tell him to duck when the blenders come past!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: [COLOR=limegreen]

Mbam 09-05-2002 04:08 PM

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that big boat and short truck = boat on side in grass. Years ago when I was young, 1981 or so I used to tow my 36 cig around with a 1975 Blazer, this was a full size one, you know the same sheet metal as a Dually or Suburban. Equalizer hitch, built trans, big block. Had no problem as far as getting the rig moving but every lane change or passing truck was an adventure.

My buddy Jim Gaffrig (god bless his departed soul) was driving, we were heading down to Ft Lauderdale for our annual migration just outside of Bowling Green Kentucky when I woke as the whole rig was oscillating back and fourth across all 4 lanes, it did this a couple of times, worse on every cycle and BAM we slid sideways into the median. The boat wound up on it's side, the Blazer almost went over. The trailer really did a job on the rear quarter and tailgate.

The good news is that we weren't hurt, and much to my amazement the only damage to the boat was grass stains on the cover. We did however brake a few bottles of the 12 cases of champagne we had in the cockpit.

12 hours later after straightening the trailer axles, new wheels, new front spindle on the truck and a bit of swearing we were on the road again, moving much slower this time.

That was the last time the Blazer pulled that boat.

Cattitude 09-05-2002 04:18 PM

HFN- He's f'n nuts!!!

The H2 is actually stouter than a tahoe, has a beefier tranny and i think a 14 bolt rear but it is still no match for that setup.

One thing that helps (but it's deceiving) is that with the very short rear overhang the hitch weight gets a lot closer to the rear axle, making it handle more like a gooseneck. With that said it probably tows better than a lot of other rigs- at its weight limit.

The short overhang also makes it look like it's handling the tongue weight well even though it may have way to much on it.

He's asking for trouble if he tows that boat out of the boatyard!:eek:

Sydwayz 09-05-2002 05:25 PM

With all of that weight right behind the rear axle; I would be surpised if at a quick take off, that H2 does not do a wheelstand. I forsee a giant teeter-todder effect.

Jassman 09-05-2002 06:03 PM

I know this was probably meant as a joke, but, Just remember, lifes too short, enjoy that Tiger, we have had enough boating accidents and fatalities this year, I wouldnt want anything else to happen.

THE CONCENSES ARE: NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!

Mrgoodwrench 09-05-2002 06:57 PM

Might want to think about a Topkick.

Duila38 09-05-2002 07:06 PM

Let Thou Educate !!!!!!This H2

What Jeffrey failed to tell you was that this H2 is being equiped with an Eaton Supercharger, new Computer, and exhaust, this will boost Horsepower to 470 and Torque to about 580lbs.

For those of you that havent stood next to an H2, its about as wide as a dually and has much more stability in the front. It also weighs more than a 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 at 6700lbs, shares the same transmission, and has a more intense frame structure. The transfer case is a Borg warner, with a crawl ratio of 33.1, running on a set of 35 12.50x18 Mudders!!!!!!!

So Common guys, I think I'll wait a couple of hours for you to CATCH UP! before I order you a Vodka Cranberry while im waiting for you at the London Bridge Hotel staring at my Tiger in the water!