What boat to buy for engine >

What boat to buy for engine

Notices

What boat to buy for engine

Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boat to buy for engine

Guys, I have recently removed a 505 BBC from a jet boat. The engine makes around 600 HP. I want to find something to put the motor in. Baja comes to mind because I really don't know what all is out there. I am looking for something in the 22' range, if that is a safe range? I want a good ride with more room than my jet boat had. Outdrive of course. Seems like the best priced boats with modern design are the early to mid 90's. What would you put that motor in? It will be a lake boat, I live in Tennessee.
Also, what type of speed would I be looking at?
Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Put that motor in a 24 Superboat or other 24x7, and you will be running 85-90 MPH. Decent cabin, good in rough or flat water.

Where are you going to use the boat? Do you homework. Lots of info here.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Put that motor in a 24 Superboat or other 24x7, and you will be running 85-90 MPH. Decent cabin, good in rough or flat water.

Where are you going to use the boat? Do you homework. Lots of info here.
Those boats look sweet! I'll be running it around the Knoxville, TN area. What type of prices would I be looking at on a mid to late 90's?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Why not look at the 22 Velocity in the Swap Shop. I think it is in your area.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweat
Those boats look sweet! I'll be running it around the Knoxville, TN area. What type of prices would I be looking at on a mid to late 90's?
Probably 15-20K, maybe you can find something without power for less. There was a 23 Warlock without power in the OSO classifieds but I can't find it now. It has k-planes, hydraulic steering, etc. Pay attention to what rigging comes with the boat. The smaller Bajas (not bashing) usually aren't rigged with the stuff you are going to want with that kind of power.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sutphil
Why not look at the 22 Velocity in the Swap Shop. I think it is in your area.
I'm open to all options. I just don't know what all is out there. Swap shop? Is that something on Facebook?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Probably 15-20K, maybe you can find something without power for less. There was a 23 Warlock without power in the OSO classifieds but I can't find it now. It has k-planes, hydraulic steering, etc. Pay attention to what rigging comes with the boat. The smaller Bajas (not bashing) usually aren't rigged with the stuff you are going to want with that kind of power.
I just looked up a 89 Warlock, it was really nice. So you think with my motor, I'll be looking mid 80's to 90's on speed? That will be sweet!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Just any FYI, You are most likely going to have to change the camshaft in your engine. Usually cams that work in a jetboat will have reversion in a stern drive boat with a wet exhaust. Good luck in your search. If you want a boat with lots of space, it is going to be kind of hard to find in a single engine boat unless you go with a party cat.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion is not buy any boat with an Alpha drive as it will not live at 500-600 HP. Because of the torque, you don't really want to run any BBC with an Alpha Drive.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
My suggestion is not buy any boat with an Alpha drive as it will not live at 500-600 HP. Because of the torque, you don't really want to run any BBC with an Alpha Drive.
Yea, they say get a Bravo x to be safe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.