Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question about sport fish yachts (specifically Vikings). >

Question about sport fish yachts (specifically Vikings).

Notices

Question about sport fish yachts (specifically Vikings).

Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts

Hahaha I went and posted on yacht forums. Freakin funny. New guy crap: "you come on here asking questions and don't tell us anything about yourself or how you boat..." Lol

Sorry I didn't write an autobiography prior to asking a question.

It's funny because I see that type if thing on here or other forums I belong to but have never been the victim of it. It's pretty funny.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Hahaha I went and posted on yacht forums. Freakin funny. New guy crap: "you come on here asking questions and don't tell us anything about yourself or how you boat..." Lol

Sorry I didn't write an autobiography prior to asking a question.

It's funny because I see that type if thing on here or other forums I belong to but have never been the victim of it. It's pretty funny.
Tank,

I have been going to Cape May, NJ for 40+ years to drink, eat, fish, I have relatives who live there, and South Jersey Yacht sales has loaded the surrounding marina(s) with Viking Sport Fishing boats, I have never ever heard anyone in my entire life bad-mouth a Viking Yacht or the Healey family (owners and founders of Viking), I would do some due diligence and first call South Jersey Yacht sales, speak with one of the brokers, and they will probably be receptive to your questions and can properly guide you, and they may possibly have an unlisted Viking and or a listed Viking that may be a better deal and more nicely equipped boat. That would be my very first call, those guys have been selling Viking boats for as long as I can remember, so it is at least 25-30+ years of selling Vikings.
609-884-1600 or click on the link below.

http://southjerseyyachtsales.com/sales-staff.html

And, or if you get ambitious and curios call Viking directly. When I travel up and down the Garden State Parkway, I can see the Viking facility/plant/yard/Marina from the GSP-highway, just past the mile marker 50 exit heading north. They truly build some beautiful, rugged sport fishing boats.

Viking Yacht Company
Route 9
"On the Bass River"
PO Box 308
New Gretna, NJ 08224
Phone: 609-296-6000
Fax: 609-296-3956
Sales E-mail: [email protected]
Customer Service E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Smarty; 04-04-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

New Jersey has some good sport fishing boat builders, Ocean Yachts, Post, Henriques, Jersey Cape, Out Island Sport Yachts, and there probably more, and some have went out of business in recent years.

I would want a Viking above any of the other Newe Jersey builders, and that is not a knock on the other New Jersey sport fihing builders, I just like Viking.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Registered

Received 2,969 Likes on 981 Posts

Thanks smarty!

I know they're a great boat. Just looking for thoughts on things to look for. Like if you asked me "tell me pros and cons of a Top Gun from 89 to present. I'd have a small book of info. I'm
Sure there's things like that about a Viking or hatteras. Issues with quality control during any certain years? Bad motor combos? Equipment that are musts, etc.

Thanks again for the info bro.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

If you come to Michigan look me up, that Hat is listed in Holland , I am there everyday, let me know if I can help.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its been a while but I think I remember reading the Bertram 630s were having some issues staying in one piece, so you might want to cross those off the list.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A great resource http://www.yachtsurvey.com/
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

The Bertram 630 when it was introduced had 1 or 2 that had some delamination issues and subsequently I think 1 sunk. They have since corrected all that. When you get into a boat like this or of this size there are a lot of little things that a owner can look for. Bridge view to see fisherman, cockpit, and or docks become a big topic. Of course everybody has their thoughts on motors. Cummins are getting real popular and good motors and other than the oil leaking from a detroit they are good motors as long they aren't hopped up to the upper HP limit, Cats are the same. I would say 1800 hrs is middle-high I would expect most to need major work around the 3,000 hr mark. Vikings are a good boat built well a little lighter than a Hatteras so fuel burn is a little better but at 3/4 mpg - 1mpg none are great. Of course there are tons of little to look for like hose chases, supported wiring, and rot.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent you a PM w/ my contact info- I currently run a 74' Viking enclosed bridge and have run sportfish boats for the better part of my life. Happy to help answer any questions & point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Adam
Old 04-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from the 630 bertram. Yacht forums is full of douchebags . Definitely find one on your coast, panama canal is about $17000 to transit(very big trip) you would be looking between 350-450 extra hours on the mains and gens. Viking is the best sporty going, then hatteras, bertrams haven't been great since ferretti aquired them in 2000ish . What yr and price viking are you looking for? Im not a huge fan of man powered boats, which viking used alot of, I prefer cats or mtu. I think vikings only issue has been gel coat, so a paint job is typically in order. Not a viking but a late 90s to mid 2000 54 and 60 hat like you posted are 2 of my all time favorites. The 60 in michigan is like new , I see it every year up there. Its amazing what fresh water does for a boat!! BUT!! its 2000 nm just to get to S FL another 1200nm to Panama and than another 3000nm to cali. If planned properly you could load it on a ship in the great lakes or anywhere on the eastern seaboard and send it around for +- 1500000

Last edited by budd; 04-04-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.